Who should I be listening to ?? Advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who should I be listening to ?? Advice needed

I bought Andy Timmons new CD a month ago, and it blew me away. It has been years since I have heard an instrumental album that I found that inspiring. I have been following Satriani and VAi for years, and I do like a lot of their stuff, although some of their music gets so far "out there" that I don't really enjoy listening to it over and over.

What other NEW names should I be listening to for good intrumental guitar playing? (someone suggested Gary Hoey ??)

By the way, I don't really like shred for shredding sake. I do appreciate what some of the speed demons can do, they are technically brilliant, and I'd give anything to be able to do what they do, but its not really something I would sit and listen to very long. Thats why I'm so impressed with Andy Timmons CD. He can burn up the fretboard when he wants to, but he is also a tremendous songwriter, and has so much feeling in his playing.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: Who should I be listening to ?? Advice needed

DANNY GATTON!
    oh... sorry....Danny Gatton!
    Guitars- Melancon, Paul Reed Smith
    Effects- Line 6, EMMA, Xotic, EB, Dunlop, Fulltone, Voodoo Labs, Analog Man, Boss
    Amp- Fender
    Originally posted by Skullkrusher
    After comparing the 17inch and 15inch models side by side........I decided to go with the 15inch. The 17inch was nice, but I think it was a bit too big. Anyway........

Comment

You may want to check out something like Rhapsody where for only 10 bucks a month you have access to thousands of albums free to listen to on your computer and they suggest other artists in the same category. I found some cool music like this.

Vai and Satch are my favorites by far. I agree at times the music can get a little out there, more Vai than Satch, but the majority is amazing That being said, here's some others:

Gary Hoey - Blues, surfer music, shreds some too

Eric Johnson - Blues, one of the best guitar tones but I never did like his voice

Joe Stump - Has some Yngwie Malmsteen sounding speed metal classical stuff, but I like the ripping blues based stuff better, so pick through what you like

Steve Morse - Southern influenced instrumental rock

Jeff Beck
      - Some might say he started it all, his stuff is more fusion, can be wierd

Comment

+1 on Steve Morse... he goes from country to jazz to metal in the same phrase... his Deep Purple things are also amazing.

Frank Gambale- jazz fusion... amazing sweeps.

Rusty Cooley- considerd one of the best metal shreders and shrd teachers today. Fast but a little too many scales and less feel. Same goes for Michael Angelo Batio.

Paul Gilbert- has a few good instrumental albums and he also played guitar in one of the best hair metal albums- "Lean into it" by Mr. Big...

Greg Howe and Richie Kotzen- have a good album together named Tilt. Richie is amazing - played on the only good Poison (IMO) and replaced Paul Gilbert for Mr. Big.

Blues Sareceno- I guess you don't get a signature SD pickup without having great chops.

Scott Henderson- jazz mixed with blues and shredding, with SRV tone.

Comment

I really like this tracks by Alessandro Benvenuti..check out "The Sense of change"

Prashant Aswani

Brett Garsed you will like!

Scott Hedges Check out "Slack hand Solo"

Lorenzo Venza

Michael Landau

or this video http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/v...utatweaked.mov

I think you'll like Shawn Lane's "Powers of Ten" and "The Tri-Tone Fascination" album.
          Last edited by StrangeSound; 10-06-2006, 04:25 AM.
          Originally posted by Guitarist
          Honestly, I like Scott's words. "There is a rhythm to life. Ride the waves."

And keep in mind that while nothing lasts forever, nothing is lost.
          http://soundcloud.com/adrian-czarnecki/tracks

Comment

Good suggestions above

I will add Russ Freeman to the bunch. He leads "The Rippingtons". It's great, flowing jazz, even for people who are not crazy about jazz.
            https://www.bandmix.com/stevereed/

Comment

Greg Howe's last disc, Extraction, with Victor Wooten and Dennis Chambers is really good, definitely more of a fusion flavor than "shred". Steve Morse, Gambale, lots of great players out there, some of the suggestions are a little too shreddy for me.

At the same time, I know I'm going to get flames for this, but Eric Johnson can annoy me. He really needs to learn to relax, in life and playing. I've seen him live a few times, he's an awesome player, but he's so uptight it seems to come through in his music.

Comment

Shawn Lane, nuff said.
                Speak through your fingers

Comment

Originally posted by StrangeSound View Post
                  I just found this guy by accident the other day. Good stuff, great feel to his playing.
                  Speak through your fingers

Comment

Stanley Jordan!
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                      Stanley Jordan!
                      Wow, how could I forget Stanley...
                      +1000000

Comment

The Hellecasters. Not necessarily new but you have never heard anyone tear up a Tele until you've heard those three play together.....John Jorgenson, Will Ray & Jerry Donahue. Their first album, "Return of the Hellecasters", is a work of art. Check it out.

Comment

Paul gilbert!!!

Comment

Guthrie Govan's "Waves" and "Slidey Boy"

Go to "releases" and click on the tracks on the cd.
                            Originally posted by vinterland
                            I just found this guy by accident the other day. Good stuff, great feel to his playing.
                            I bought his solo cd "Big Sky" 2 weeks ago..great cd!
                            Originally posted by Guitarist
                            Honestly, I like Scott's words. "There is a rhythm to life. Ride the waves."

And keep in mind that while nothing lasts forever, nothing is lost.
                            http://soundcloud.com/adrian-czarnecki/tracks

Comment

Jeff Beck
                              Originally posted by tone4days
                              we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Comment

Working...
                              X