Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The most overplayed song in the universe

so i'm learning stairway to heaven.

I got the intro and the chords, but there is that crazy bending part near the end of the solo, and i cannot get it to sound right.

I have tried several tabs and fingering techniques, but it sounds like a song in reverse or something.

Does anyone have a technique or an accurate tab that they wouldn't mind sharing?
    Originally posted by LSP
    I think the important question is... Can I ban or at least ignore myself?

Re: The most overplayed song in the universe

Sounds like you're talking about the pitch bending up to a unison. If this is what you mean, then it's an old trick/technique that everyone did back in the 70's.

Step 1 : Finger a note on your high E string. For the sake of illustration let's just say finger B on the E string with you index finger.

Step 2: While holding down B place your pinky on A on the adjacent string above (in this case we're talking about the A on the B string).

Step 3: Now with your pick strike both of the notes you're holding down simultaneously. The sound should clash since the two notes are only a major 2nd apart from one another.

Step 4: Now strike the two notes again, but this time bend the A on the B string slowly upward with your pinky until the A ascends to a B. At that point the pinky note will match the B held by the index finger creating a two note unison.

The technique is often performed on either of two pairs of adjacent strings. Namely the third and second string or the second and first string as previously described. However, when done on the third and second string, the index finger and the third finger are used rather than the index finger and the pinky.

Here is a clip of Santana doing it on the third and second strings. The techinque is clearly seen at 1:23.
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

The technique almosts sounds like a whah at times. But this is actually caused by the frequencies of the two pitches clashing at different intervals until the unison is arrived upon.
    Last edited by Osensei; 10-15-2006, 02:43 PM.
    These horse pills really take the edge off! Take 4 of em and that yellow gateway over there opens for da wolfman! -- Carl, ATHF

Comment

I have no idea what you are talking about...

I meant the part with the 15b17r p13 _14 repeated seven times...

what this guy calls the "crazy bending part"

you must be talking about the part right after that with the pinky tapping.
      Originally posted by LSP
      I think the important question is... Can I ban or at least ignore myself?

Comment

yeah that is a tricky part

i think you just gotta play the p13_14 part real quick to make the rythm fit

either way whats the point in learning this song?

you shoudl learn "babe im gonna leave you" instead

awsome finegrpicking

or try "ramble on"

harder to get them stuming/chord change patterns to sound like paige than you think
        KISS AINT METAL!!

Comment

Originally posted by kneadmomunny View Post

I have no idea what you are talking about...

I meant the part with the 15b17r p13 _14 repeated seven times...

what this guy calls the "crazy bending part"

you must be talking about the part right after that with the pinky tapping.
          I don't know the song (yes, horror), but I thought I would translate the unison (double-stop) bend instructions to English

Fret the 13th fret on the 2nd string, and the 15 fret on the 3rd string. Pick both, as they were a chord, and bend the 3rd string in a normal whole step bend (up 2 frets in pitch). If you do it right, the two strings will then be ringing at the same pitch.

Code:
          B--13-----
          G--15b17--
          This is usually done on any two adjacent strings, however, you need an extra frets space between any other pair, because of the guitar tuning (the interval between the 3rd and 2nd strings is a 4th, but it's a 5th between every other pair). So on the 1st and second strings:

Code:
          E--12-----
          B--15b17--
          I don't recommend you use your pinky for this - it simply doesn't have the leverage for it, and it's rather foolish. Make the stretch with your third, and that leaves the pinky free to fret other notes on the higher string.
          Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Comment

Working...
          X