no clip, but a 'capo' tip ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no clip, but a 'capo' tip ...

i am probably the only guy on this board who didnt know this until monday night ... but in case someone else could use a tip about using a capo, here goes ..

when using a capo, put the capo right in front of the fret before the one you want to capo at ..

e.g. if you want to capo at the third fret (meaning behind the third fret), place the capo right in front of the second fret ... i found that this keep the tuning a lot closer than if i put the capo right behind the third fret ... i think this will help guys with tall frets the most ... it keep the angle less severe, so as to not pull the string a little too 'sharp'

let's see if i can draw a crappy ascii picture to illustrate ...

pic #1 - good capo position

[]-------|-------|-X-----|-------

------------------------------------------------

pic #2 - bad capo position

[]-------|-------|-----X-|-------

hope this helps

anyone else have any capo tips to share?

cheers
    t4d
    Last edited by tone4days; 06-23-2004, 06:38 PM.
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Re: no clip, but a 'capo' tip ...

I'll have to try that. Not that I use a capo alot but I always put it the wrong way. Learn something new every day. Thanks

Comment

ive never thought of that, grand idea!
      The early bird catches the worm and the twelve-year-old prostitute attracts the ambassador.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee
        Sorry, but I can't see the benefit. A capo replaces a 'barre' finger. Place it where you would place a finger. If your frets are too tall, get them adjusted. If your guitar is out of tune with a capo - then it'll be out for every barre chord you play.

Lee
        I think the problem is when using a capo that isn't very adjustable, like the cheap Jim Dunlop ones. Setting it to one hole can be too loose, but the next one may be a little tight, so putting it right behind the fret does throw the tuning out a little more than if I place it some distance from the fret (my finger is more adjustable for tension than the capo )

I'd suggest buying a decent capo may be worthwhile, but I don't use one often enough to want to part with the money.

Comment

i use one of the kyser spring loaded 'trigger' capos .. it grips the neck with what seems to me to be vastly greater pressure than i use to make a barre chord ... moving the capo 'back' in the space between the frets seems to lessen the effective tension at the break point thus reducing (removing?) any tuning problems ... i think Lee might be on to something when he mentions fret wire height .. perhaps guitars with smaller frets have less problem with this ...

cheers
          t4d
          gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

I didn't know this... I will check it.

Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
            X