1=c 2 = D 3=e?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1=c 2 = D 3=e?

my guitar teacher, now teaching me more theory-related stuff, and of course, like any other taecher would say, he tell me to know my notes.

but then he says it in a different way.

he gave me a sheet of paper with the fret board on it, and there were numbers on it. i figured that 1=C 2 = D and so on, and like in a C scale it would be 12345671.
    in some books and "tabs", i found that they had these nubmers, and now i see what they are.

has anyone else learned their notes this way?

and also, he says i need to remebmr all the nubmers on the fretboard to jam to a song (improv) and stuff like that...

but on the net, i have never seen people use this method..so im a lil' suspicious...

Re: 1=c 2 = D 3=e?

tabs are different than what you already are thinking.
    the numbers represent the frets, thats all.

Comment

Re: 1=c 2 = D 3=e?

What you're guitar teacher is showing you is how scales are made up, not what the notes are on your guitar. Example:

A major scale is 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1 in C = C D E F G A B C
      A (natural) minor scale is 1 2 3b 4 5 6b 7b in C = C D Eb F G Ab Bb C

He is using numbers because the pattern is the same for whatever key you're using, in other words C major and D major both use the 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1 pattern, but just different notes.

This can be quite tricky stuff to get your head round. I found it very important to learn what the notes were on the fret board, and then when I palyed scales I started to 'visualize' the relationships between the notes.

In basic terms, your teacher is right. If you remeber where all the numbers are, you'll be OK for a jam, as long as the song is in C major! What would be good is, if you remember the 'pattern' the numbers make. Then you can shift the position of this pattern on the fret board and apply it in different keys i.e. move it up 2 frets to play in D.

Comment

Working...
      X