Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soundcard Question

Hey guys.

I'm using a Soundblaster 5.0 Live! Soundcard. I am recording using the Cakewalk Guitar Pro version 3. I've noticed on playback that the sound is kind of "squished." Someone mentioned that it lacks sonic range or something like that, and I agree.

I'm probably going to replace that soundcard at some point. However, in the meanwhile I want to keep going with recording. My questions are:

1. Does your soundcard effect what you record. In other words, if I change soundcards later, will the stuff I record now still sound squished? When I put a new soundcard in, should it sound automatically clearer, or will I have to re-record everything?

2. What soundcards are recommended in the 100 to 200 price range?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Scott_F
    On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Re: Soundcard Question

It depends on how you're passing the signal thru the computer, and how you're exporting them.

If you're recording thru the soundcard, it will affect the sound. A good way to test what the sound card is doing is: if you have a digital output, run it through a d/a converter and see how it sounds. It may be that the d/a converters in the soundcard suck.

If you're only importing pre-recorded WAV files and then burning them, it never passes through the sound card, and you're safe. (Which is what I do) In that case, the type of CDR you're burning to, as well as the rate you're burning at, has a more significant impact on the sound than the soundcard.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Yup Twilight is correct. I worked at Steinberg (Cubase etc) for a while and sound card play big role. Our techs and pros would never use a soundblaster card. Your better off with:
      Lynx (hi end expensive)
      Echo (mid priced)
      MAudio (cheaper but still good)

Comment

Interesting thread for me because I'm getting the Cakewalk Guitar Pro 3 like Jammermatt has. I'd propably reconsider my purchase if the sound turns out "squished."

I bought the Echo 24/96 IO card for a new laptop (Gateway M675 with Pentium 4, 3.0 ghtz, 512 MB ram, 80GB hard drive and a 17 inch screen - this "laptop" is going to be more powerful than my PC!)

Hopefully the Echo will work well.

Jammermatt - how do you like the Guitar Pro 3 software? Any concerns or "bugs" in the system? (other than your current sound card issue).
        (2) Randall RM4 preamps, VHT 2502 Power amp, 2 2x12 Bogner cabs w/V30's and Lead 80's, '74 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop, '89 Gibson Les Paul Cherryburst, '93 Stratocaster, and a bunch of other stuff.

Comment

Thanks guys,

Hawkman,

No problems as of yet. I think the squishness is due to the soundcard and speaker setup. I'm real happy with how the GP3 software is working. It seems simple enough, even for a cretin like myself, and for the price (150 bux), you get alot of bang. It think it was the perfect thing for what I'm doing, which is recording alone, at home, and for me. I have a few clips I did with it, in case you're interested, at:

On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

Originally posted by keano12
            Yup Twilight is correct. I worked at Steinberg (Cubase etc) for a while and sound card play big role. Our techs and pros would never use a soundblaster card. Your better off with:
            Lynx (hi end expensive)
            Echo (mid priced)
            MAudio (cheaper but still good)
            Hey Keano,

Does the soundcard play a big role in just the playback? Or does it affect the recorded end as well?

Oh, by the way, I do plug into the soundcard Line In jack, going through my Line6 XLR outs.

Comment

Originally posted by JammerMatt
              Hey Keano,

Does the soundcard play a big role in just the playback? Or does it affect the recorded end as well?

Oh, by the way, I do plug into the soundcard Line In jack, going through my Line6 XLR outs.
              Matt, you're passing the signal thru the sound card. So, it will have an affect on all of your files. You're adding the sonic signature of the sound card to the signal chain.
              Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
              My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Yup it affects the quality and sound. Like Twilight said earlier. what matters is the AD DA convertors. Better the convertor the better the reproduction of the sound. Hi end studios buy AD DA convertoers as stand alones. The convertors on the Lynx cards are top of the line. but with a decent mic pre and decent card you will be fine. good mic pres also give the sound a 3 d sound and separates the tracks better.

Comment

I highly recommend the M-Audio Revolution 7.1.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee
                    Recordings shouldn't be affected as the recording to HD happens prior to the soundcard.
                    Lee
                    This is true only if you're refering to "ripping" a CD. For all other recording tasks, the sound card is very much involved.

Selecting the right sound card can be one of the most important decisions that a "digital age" artist can make. You might want to check out this forum:

AudioMasters

Don't let the name fool you. This isn't a bunch of "audiophile" geeks. These are the good folks from the old Cool Edit/Adobe Audition forum. AudioMasters is to recording/audio what Seymour Duncan is to guitars.

There's a wealth of recording/production/pro-audio information here. Hang out, read up, join the forum. Then, make an informed decision.

They're good folks.
                    Last edited by ArtieToo; 06-25-2004, 02:18 PM.

Comment

I've got an M-Audio Audiophile USB MIDI. It's not bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee
                        I was talking rubbish.
                        Lee
                        I wouldn't say that you're "talking rubbish". Just a slight dis-agreement on a technical point.

Comment

Right on guys. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                          X