Right hand position for fast leads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right hand position for fast leads

How do you hold your right hand (or picking hand) for fast leads? I tend to use my pinky knuckle on the pick guard or pickup to anchor my right hand just out of habit. I saw a video of an 80's metal guy (Ratt) that had his free fingers full extended and just sticking out there in the air while he shredded. So is it personal preference or should I change something?

See video link for reference: (2:47 to 2:51 and 3:05 to 3:12).

Last edited by JoeBC; 12-02-2006, 12:13 PM.

Re: Right hand position for fast leads

there are specific picking techniques that are technically the fastest, but its better to just play what feels and works best for you. Playing your own way will help give you your own style.
    KISS AINT METAL!!

Comment

Originally posted by joeydude View Post
      there are specific picking techniques that are technically the fastest, but its better to just play what feels and works best for you. Playing your own way will help give you your own style.
      I hear this a lot; it's a sort of accepted mantra that retards a lot of guitarists.

The problem is that what works best for you may be uncomfortable to institute at first. Some technique changes can take a few weeks to settle, but work much better once you get over that barrier.

Imo, a "floating" approach is greatly superior to anchoring your hand. Yes, many guitarists get good results with an anchored hand (ie Petrucci), but many guitarists play with their thumb constantly over the neck and use only three fingers and get good results. My point is that just because a guitarist uses a method successfully, doesn't mean it's the best - I have to say this, otherwise I get bombarded with "omg Petrucci!!11!"

Paul Gilbert's right hand there best illustrates how to do it. Keep your fingers lightly tucked in like he does, and don't anchor on anything. However, it's ok to lightly touch the lower strings when playing higher ones to keep them quiet under gain - just don't rest on them.

Regardless, I definitely don't recommend extending your fingers out. It's a lot of extra weight, amplified by the fact it's held away from your wrist, and will create more hurdles to accuracy and economy of movement.
      Last edited by SpiderVenom; 12-02-2006, 12:27 PM.
      Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Comment

dont listen to him, do what you want!!!
        KISS AINT METAL!!

Comment

lol, you are typical musician rebels..that's great.

As a test I just simulated alternate picking to do a test to see which made my wrist feel more free. One way I anchored my hand with the pinky. The other I let the fingers float. I could tell that I had more freedom in my wrist with the fingers floating. Seems like I could pay faster that way too. Anyway, it would be a change for me to go to the floating finger method. Tucking them in seems like a good idea to keep the hand more compact.
          Last edited by JoeBC; 12-02-2006, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X