I need to get into more blues!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I need to get into more blues!

I Love To Me Part Of A Forum Where There Are Such A Big Love For All Things Blues Music - Unlike Some Other Notorious Forums Where Everyone Listens To Metal, And Metal Only . . .
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      rory gallagher

'06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

For blues it helps to think like a singer at times. Like lead singers in old time Gospel choirs adlib melodies all the time. They never sing outta key and they know diddly squat about theory or anything else!
        These horse pills really take the edge off! Take 4 of em and that yellow gateway over there opens for da wolfman! -- Carl, ATHF

Comment

Originally posted by Osensei View Post
          For blues it helps to think like a singer at times. Like lead singers in old time Gospel choirs adlib melodies all the time. They never sing outta key and they know diddly squat about theory or anything else!
          Derek Trucks thinks like that...
          I have watched an interview and he says that when he plays he tries to make the guitar into a singing human gospel voice!

oh yeah check him out BluesGuyJ, Derek Trucks - slide guitar
          Originally posted by Marinblues
          Remember: "Good" is what sounds good to you...everything else is marketing.

Comment

Again, Eric Sardinas ++++++++
            Also, I adore NOrth Mississippi Allstars "Shake hands with shorty" = dirty blues boogies.
            Dave Hole "Live"

Comment

I'll try to add something to the list.
              First I'd like to second Freddie King. He is one of the legends of electric blues.
              Some of Luther Allison's stuff seems to be pretty good too...soulful.

Comment

Originally posted by firebirdV View Post
                For fast blues I meant Johnny Winter, Nothing but the Blues isn't really fast, I just like it a lot.
                Another great Johnny Winter album is: THE PROGRESSIVE BLUES EXPERIMENT. Great blues very raw. (Tommy Shannon played bass on this also I think it was released in 1969).

For some sophisticated blues: Robben Ford "Talk to your daughter"

Big Bill Broonzy

Otis Rush

Buddy Guy

Memphis Minnie

The list can go on and on!
                Last edited by Bludave; 12-11-2006, 09:02 AM.
                "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by BluesGuyJ View Post
                  Hey guys, I need some names thrown out to me. It's hard to get into new blues because it isn't mainstream by any means, and none of my peers listen to it.

Here is who I listen to right now:

Albert Cummings
                  Albert Collins
                  B.B. King
                  John Lee Hooker
                  Muddy Waters
                  Robert Johnson
                  Jonny Lang
                  Stevie Ray Vaughan
                  Robert Cray

Help me out guys, I need to get into blues more. I'd really like to be turned onto some more stuff like Lang and Collins. I'm about to get my hands on some Albert King too.

Thanks a ton for the help. P.S.- if anyone could point me towards some blues shred. I have some Gilbert and More, but that's it.
                  Definitely get some Albert King & Freddy King, I'd seriously suggest getting some Howlin' Wolf in there too (Mr. Airplane Man). If you want more acoustic stuff, I can hardly think of 3 better examples than Bukka White (BB King's cousin btw) , Charlie Patton or Son House..., enjoy

Comment

i think you can limit eric clapton to his 'from the cradle' album

don't forget eric johnson
                    ~+~ tube afflicted, strat addicted ~+~

Comment

Working...
                    X