X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Speed MechaniX practice thread!

Originally posted by JammerMatt View Post
    Yeah bros, I'm still practicing.

I am working diligently on the 3-note per string, strict alternate picking while changing strings. Working up to playing those 3-note per string scales. Looking at exercises 39 through 50. I'm not really doing them per se, but I'm working out the movements I need to do to finally tackle them.

This part has really got me in the dumps actually.
    Well, nearly 3 weeks later and NO IMPROVEMENT. I'm am in the dumps bad on this one big time. I am very very bummed about this almost to the point of quitting guitar altogether. This is a technique that I just can't seem to get a handle on. I cannot get a fluid technique going back and forth between two strings. Going 4 or more strings and it just sounds like stumbling crap. Can't get beyond 140 bpm. This is a fairly basic shred technique that I cannot seem to master.

The old technique I used to use did not involve strict alternate picking. My pick followed the direction of the string change and would break the strict alternate picking (hard to explain). It worked as long as you were changing consecutive strings, but if you wanted to change back and forth between two strings it would break down.

Now, since concentrating on strict alternate picking, I cannot even do the old technique anymore.

Anyone feel like buying my two complete guitar rigs?

SHIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTT FUUUUUUUUUKKKKK GOODDDDAAAAAAMMMMM!!!!!!
    Originally posted by Scott_F
    On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

Originally posted by JammerMatt View Post

SHIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTT FUUUUUUUUUKKKKK GOODDDDAAAAAAMMMMM!!!!!!
      Check that out... I have foiled the PC nazis. At least I can do that right.
      On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

I know it's frustrating, Matt. Maybe keep up with it another couple weeks, see how it goes?

And don't sell your FUUUUUUUUKKKKKING rigs!

- Keith
        Originally posted by ImmortalSix
        I am just jug the merlot

Comment

hammer ons and pull offs. focus on returning to the alternate picking, from the partial 3 note per string sweep.

Comment

Originally posted by JustWendell View Post
            playing back recordings reaveal that i'm white and have no sense of rhythm.
            Amen brother - I'm bleach.

Comment

i'll record it on monday ..

but i beat my own goal again. i got technical difficulties up to 115bpm (less solo) 117bpm goes too... at 120 i got itsy problems with the ascending runs.
              i feel good!
              i'll practice more during the weekend and record on monday when i'm alone at home (yaaay vacation!!!)

and all this 5 days prior to the london guitar show! WOOHOO!!

matt, i suggest you take a break from that and learn a song you like, but never in your wildest dreams thought you could master. i feel like i can do anything now hehe. i wont kid myself, i'm no lead player (i can mock something up, but lack the basic understanding) so i am content with the backing and melodies and harmonies and everything eehehehe.

now my ears are shot... i should have put the headphones on :P

Comment

No Matt - don't sell your rig! Old cliché - practice makes perfect!

Let Davey the fingerboard legend be your inspiration. He gives us all something to aim at.

Davey, have you had a pop at 'Flight of the Bumblebee' yet?
                Fender Guitars ~ Marshall Amps ~ Seymour Duncan Pickups

Match Made in Heaven

Comment

no, i havent.. i'll get back to the scheduled programming, that is the stetina book, after i get back from london

crap i just noticed.. you're from leeds you bum!
                  i'll be in gomersal (ya know, the lil village on the way from leeds to huddersfield) from the 30th till the morning of the 3rd!! i dont know if we'll be putting together a jam or a binge drinking night out in a pub in that area, with some people from the BKP forum (me, TwilightOdyssey and brow will be there, MAAAAAYYYBE even nuntius) i'll tell you more... but how, eludes me at this point =/

Comment

what i find a shame about the book, is that you dont get a backing track of the flight of the bumblebee. just the whole thing that troy plays.. it would be cool if you got a backing, so you could try a shot at recording it yourself

Comment

Hang tight Matt, it will come. It sounds like you are about to make a leap. Ever notice how improvement never seems to be gradual, but instead just one day you can do stuff you couldn't the day before? That what I'm guessing is going to happen to you soon.

The only other advice I can give you is to concentrate on relaxing when you practice, tension slows down the process, from the picking to the muscle memory.

And, before you let it get you too down, look at guys like George Lynch, he doesn't have "textbook technique" like Stetna, but he can play!

Stick with it man, it'll come!
                      Roger

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                        The only other advice I can give you is to concentrate on relaxing when you practice, tension slows down the process, from the picking to the muscle memory.
                        indeed.
                        i find if i stiffen up or think about what i am doing, i make mistakes, but when i let the fingers play the song themselves, i am much faster and much more precise and fluid.

i think about it when i learn the licks and go really slow to dissect the picking and finger positions, then i build up speed. when it gets to higher speeds, i just let the hands to their work

Comment

Perhaps I should be drinking more.

Comment

Dudes, just to resurrect the thread.

I haven't given up the quest. I just had to take about a two-month... err three-month detour. I hit up on a few technique problems that needed to get worked out before I moved on. As I'm a slow learner with limited time, it has taken some effort. Hopefully, look for me to hit the books again in August.

Comment

Was this thread with the Troy Stetina book? If so, that was the book that made me realize I'd never be a speed player and pushed my back in the direction of Gilmour and Page. I should bust that book back out, I haven't looked though it in 6+ years.
                              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Good bump JM, i've been thinking of bumping this thread as well. i did put the book off for a bit but now i'm getting back into it and am once again focusing energy on trying to work on my recording skills at the same time, if anything just to help me see what areas i need to work on.

pf...yeah, this is the speed mechanics for lead guitar by troy stetina, and yes, i also get the feeling i don't got what it takes to be a speed player, but i have noticed my skills and speed are both improving, so i will be sticking with it. I also see more books by him in my future.

Comment

Working...
                                X