Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by solspirit View Post
    Seems rudimentary to me.
    Rudimentary as in refining the mechanics to play cleaner and faster?
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

• Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
      All the regulars are gone, is anyone using Stetina material for practice?
      I worked my way slavishly through the thing in high school. I could play most of the examples in semiquavers at 180-190 bpm at one point, the semiquaver triplets perhaps at 160 bpm or so. I still open it every now and then, but prioritising it is harder these days, even if my technique could use some maintenance.

I actually bought a lot of the Stetina books recently in a fit of nostalgia. I played myself through most of them during those days. The funny thing is to come back to these things years later and hear how your ear has grown: I hear so much clearer what concepts are being employed now than I did then.

Comment

• Oh, and Stetina is working on a Speed Mechanics part 2 these days.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sirion View Post

I worked my way slavishly through the thing in high school. I could play most of the examples in semiquavers at 180-190 bpm at one point, the semiquaver triplets perhaps at 160 bpm or so. I still open it every now and then, but prioritising it is harder these days, even if my technique could use some maintenance.

I actually bought a lot of the Stetina books recently in a fit of nostalgia. I played myself through most of them during those days. The funny thing is to come back to these things years later and hear how your ear has grown: I hear so much clearer what concepts are being employed now than I did then.
          You got up to sixteenths at 190?!? Damn….

I agree! You can see how he methodically adds info and technique while providing songs and examples that are musical and fun (not speed mechanics, but the other series). I’m using his stuff for practice now.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

You got up to sixteenths at 190?!? Damn….

I agree! You can see how he methodically adds info and technique while providing songs and examples that are musical and fun (not speed mechanics, but the other series). I’m using his stuff for practice now.
            Actually, my mind is probably exaggerating, but there were definitely some stuff got up to that tempo. If I went back to it today I'd make sure to record myself and work more on make sure it was projecting well, that everything was clean etc., but I was a stupid teen like most people.

And yes, I liked the other books as well. Pre-YouTube those certainly weren't a bad way to learn.

Comment

Rudimentary as in refining the mechanics to play cleaner and faster?
              Practice and practice

Comment

Working...
              X