banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what’s the best of the 15 watt/20 watt heads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So what’s the best of the 15 watt/20 watt heads?

It seems you are a big fan of the Mustang III. Why not grab a V? More Watts but that never hurts.

Comment

I’m kind of curious about the head version of the hand wired AC30 in this video. It’s pricey but might be exactly what I’m looking for.

I’d use it with my 2x12 Matchless cab that I loaded with actual 60’s Celestion silver Alnico 12’s.

In this video review Pro Tools Expert team member Dan Cooper takes a close look at the Vox AC30 HW2X. The AC30 HW2X is a hand-wired 30 watt guitar amplifier ...
      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        does someone make a brown deluxe in a head? thats what id get. with the right speakers its the best lil marshall ive played though. better than the 18w or 20w marshalls ive tried

an old style ac30 with blues cranked up is a glorious thing! sooo loud though. the master volume ones ive tried havent been the same.
        Had a brown Deluxe and did love the soloing tones. Sold it to the Guy Who Invented Fire a few years ago.

Wasn’t clean enough for me...but the lead tones, when cranked, were wonderful.

Those new handwired Vox AC30 heads might be what I’m looking for...but they’re pricey.

Last edited by Lewguitar; 12-29-2017, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by justFred View Post
          It seems you are a big fan of the Mustang III. Why not grab a V? More Watts but that never hurts.
          I am. But mine is starting to act up.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
            I am. But mine is starting to act up.
            If it is < 5 years old Fender will replace it. If you work it might get an X2 head to experiment with while deciding on the best other head.

Comment

I did it. Purchased the handwired AC30 head. It has master volume that can be bypassed. Also switchable from 15 watts to 30 watts. Got it for $1000 shipped.

I have some NOS GE EL84’s I’ll put in it that I purchased many years ago from the guy who designed EL84’s for GE. I used them in my AC30 that I sold, but I kept the tubes when I sold it and put the originals back in.

My intuition tells me this is the amp head ive been looking for.

We’ll see.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                I did it. Purchased the handwired AC30 head. It has master volume that can be bypassed. Also switchable from 15 watts to 30 watts. Got it for $1000 shipped.

I have some NOS GE EL84’s I’ll put in it that I purchased many years ago from the guy who designed EL84’s for GE. I used them in my AC30 that I sold, but I kept the tubes when I sold it and put the originals back in.

My intuition tells me this is the amp head ive been looking for.

We’ll see.
                Glad you reached your decision, Lew - it does sound like it’ll do what you want it to.

I sold my AC30 for the same reasons as you (loud/heavy) and don’t regret doing so - I just NEVER ever got to use it in the way it would sound best.

My Whitney custom amp is based on the AC tone stack but I opted for 15W, so that I can enjoy the power section working. Sounds like the option in your new head will give you similar.

One thing to note: my AC30 was the CC2X (Celestine blues) and it had a treble bleed cap on the Top Boost volume which could end up sounding fizzy. It’s mentioned in this list (C9 cap):

Definitely a worthwhile mod on that amp to my ears.

Said, I don’t know if it, or any of the other mods listed, applies to the handwired or not.

Let us know how it turns out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
                  Glad you reached your decision, Lew - it does sound like it’ll do what you want it to.

I sold my AC30 for the same reasons as you (loud/heavy) and don’t regret doing so - I just NEVER ever got to use it in the way it would sound best.

My Whitney custom amp is based on the AC tone stack but I opted for 15W, so that I can enjoy the power section working. Sounds like the option in your new head will give you similar.

One thing to note: my AC30 was the CC2X (Celestine blues) and it had a treble bleed cap on the Top Boost volume which could end up sounding fizzy. It’s mentioned in this list (C9 cap):

Definitely a worthwhile mod on that amp to my ears.

Said, I don’t know if it, or any of the other mods listed, applies to the handwired or not.

Let us know how it turns out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  I sure will. And thanks to everyone who commented. Even though I didn’t purchase any of the suggestions, the thread helped me to get clear on what it was I was really looking for....I hope.

Comment

Knowing Lew's taste, I'd look into the little Bad Cat heads.
                    They aren't cheap, but the few models I've tried bridged the Vox/Marshall sound very well. [Edit] Damn, they're EXPENSIVE!

The Orange OR-15 has a nice woody tone. The Tiny Terror has amazing range from clean to highgain.
                    It's a great amp, but maybe a tad crunchier than Lew would want. I'm honestly confused as to why nobody is snatching up my TT. I'm avoiding plugging into it because I'll change my mind about selling it. I should keep it.
                    Last edited by Gearjoneser; 12-31-2017, 07:52 PM.
                    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                      Knowing Lew's taste, I'd look into the little Bad Cat heads.
                      They aren't cheap, but the few models I've tried bridged the Vox/Marshall sound very well. [Edit] Damn, they're EXPENSIVE!

The Orange OR-15 has a nice woody tone. The Tiny Terror has amazing range from clean to highgain.
                      It's a great amp, but maybe a tad crunchier than Lew would want. I'm honestly confused as to why nobody is snatching up my TT. I'm avoiding plugging into it because I'll change my mind about selling it. I should keep it.
                      I thought about it Joe. In fact, that Night Train of yours is what triggered my purchase of this AC30. I’ve missed mine ever since selling it. Replaced it with the Matchless SC30 you recommended but it was a bit grainy sounding compared to my AC30, and as you may remember, I lost most of my stuff 8 years ago to pay medical bills. You guys were a nice help in those times. Now I qualify for Medicare...thank goodness, because my treatment is ongoing and costs thousands every month.

Comment

The amp’s on the way, BTW. Should be here this week.

Comment

What's the best flavor of ice cream?

Comment

If you're after a good, solid rock amp with lots of gain, I can recommend the 6505MH. I've been using mine in my cover band for a while now and not only does it sound great, it sits great in a mix.

Comment

Originally posted by eaeolian View Post
                              If you're after a good, solid rock amp with lots of gain, I can recommend the 6505MH. I've been using mine in my cover band for a while now and not only does it sound great, it sits great in a mix.
                              I looked at EVH amps. Not Peaveys tho.

In any case, Vox and/or Marshall tones, both clean and overdriven, is what I was needing. This new Vox AC30 head is doing the trick for me. It’s a tone I’ve been missing ever since selling my Vox AC30 and vintage Marshall’s, and it can do both bedroom and stage. It’s a pretty cool amp.

Beatles, Brian May, Buddy Miller...and my own sounds. They’re all in there.

And my brother Bruce (Mission Amps) gave me an old 1960’s AC30 size Vox two 12 speaker cab for Christmas. No speakers but I’ll put some Celestions in it.
                              Last edited by Lewguitar; 01-03-2018, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                                does someone make a brown deluxe in a head? that's what id get.
                                Available as a head:

Late to the party as usual - I should have finished reading the whole thread before posting.
                                Last edited by Lazarus1140; 01-03-2018, 06:03 PM.
                                I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Working...
                                X