How to do harmonic squeal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to do harmonic squeal?

note that pinch harmonics can be accentuated by picking at different lengths of the string. Thicker string gauges are easier to do pinch harmonics in my experience, especially with the drop D string that Zakk always does with.
    Last edited by Nagarajah725; 12-21-2009, 12:14 AM.
    Every man has the opportunity to overcome himself.

Comment

I think it helps to bend the note as you pinch it.

I use the side of my fat thumb, I pick HARD and let my thumb just barely touch the string as I sort of twist or rotate the pick away from that string.

my $.02
      Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Thanks ALL! With some practice.....I got it! It's all in the picking hand.....plus bending makes it more colorful.......one thing I've noticed while doing it......facial contortions......i.e. "feeling what you play"........it's like when you're watching a video and you see the guitarist turn away from looking at the guitar and "grimicing" (or other strained look on their mug).

Comment

The most important thing is to fret the note on the right spot.
          Different strings brands and gauges, different tuning and different bridges causes different harmonics. Since the guitar is not a true temperament instrument, the harmonics are not on the same spot on every note. The squealing effect is not done by pinching the string, but bending the note to get to the sweet spot,and let the harmonic sing.
          I love pinch harmonics, and they have an important part on my playing style.
          www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

Originally posted by daemon barbeque View Post
            The most important thing is to fret the note on the right spot.
            Different strings brands and gauges, different tuning and different bridges causes different harmonics. Since the guitar is not a true temperament instrument, the harmonics are not on the same spot on every note. The squealing effect is not done by pinching the string, but bending the note to get to the sweet spot,and let the harmonic sing.
            I love pinch harmonics, and they have an important part on my playing style.
            I don't know what this is about, but pinch harmonics are done with the picking hand, usually by lightly touching the string with the side of the thumb at nearly the same time the string is struck by the pick.
            my soundclick page

Comment

Originally posted by GoDrex View Post
              I don't know what this is about, but pinch harmonics are done with the picking hand, usually by lightly touching the string with the side of the thumb at nearly the same time the string is struck by the pick.
              NEWB! LOL
              If you think you can let the guitar squeal like a pig with the picking hand, I would like to see the proof.
              The picking hand is there to filter the other frequencies, and let the harmonic stand out.But the harmonic itself needs to be sustained, and the length of the string have to be altered on every note to find the right spot.

If you need more theory to understand it, read on.

Every string has the same notes and harmonics on both sides of the board. That means, you can use the pick or your finger tip on the 2. fret, and get the same harmonic content on the guitar. So moving , between the 24. fret and the bridge, you are going to have 4 harmonic points, which one in the middle will be the true note (the original note harmonic), and the other 3 will be major notes to fit the harmonic picture of the tone. ofcourse, you can do the harmonic via touching the strings on the right frets, or using the whammy bar ala Mattias Eklundh.

Since the guitar is never ever perfectly in tune (except the fretles ones), you have to bend the string to the right note. The easiest string to get the harmonics is the G (on a standart tuned guitar).

If you listen to my song Flagolated demon cookies on myspace, you can hear a big amount of harmonics in many different ways. The left hand plays a big role, and without the bending qualities, no pinch harmonic have the power to stand out, sustain enough, or will have a musical impact.
              Last edited by daemon barbeque; 12-28-2009, 11:45 AM.

Comment

I have a whole lot more trouble getting them to ring out when my fretting finger is not DIRECTLY behind the fret. The closer you get that finger to the nut, the more difficult it is. But I think the first thing to do is make sure you pick in the right spot. There's a whole lot more spatial variation possible with the picking hand.

Comment

Originally posted by daemon barbeque View Post
                  NEWB! LOL
                  blah blah blah
                  what kind of drugs are you on man?
                  my soundclick page

Comment

what kind of drugs are you on man?
                    I don't do drugs, I don't smoke or even drink.
                    But I see that you didn't get what I've posted. Maybe you should blame first your brain cells, than other's ?

Comment

You don't need your left hand (fretting hand) to do a pinch harmonic. You can do it on an open string. The fretting hand is irrelevant to getting a pinch harmonic.

Still not sure what you're talking about. Is english your main language?

Upset all the local cats by learning how to play pinch harmonics, the high squealy sound often made by rock and metal guitar players. Extreme close ups show ...
                      my soundclick page

Comment

No english is not my main language. The question was "how to do harmonic squeal", not how to make an harmonic.

And you can do the pinch harmonic only with your left hand too, you don't need even a pick!

Comment

Hey,
                          You know how to do artificial harmonics but you can't do vibratos, you serious? Do the harmonic then do a vibrato, you don't need to use the trem bar unless you want to do a satch type squeal.

Thanks.
                          Last edited by jonetall; 01-04-2010, 03:28 AM.
                          SaaS Service Desk
                          Talk To God Offline

Comment

You don't need your left hand (fretting hand) to do a pinch harmonic. You can do it on an open string. The fretting hand is irrelevant to getting a pinch harmonic.

Still not sure what you're talking about. Is english your main language?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I5O8P-r5Rk
                            Irrelevant ..... no!
                            and the length of the string have to be altered on every note to find the right spot.
                            Yes you can do them on open string but you can also do them to any note you may finger on the neck.Its just a matter of finding the harmonics relative to the string length you are creating by fingering a note.
                            Last edited by GoldenVulture; 01-04-2010, 03:50 AM.
                            sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
                            - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

hot pickups and a lot of gain help, but are not essential
                              gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Another important part is the PU height. The closer you get to the strings, the more harmonics jump. But be aware of magnetic pull and false harmonics.

Comment

Working...
                                X