Riff-Off 2.4: Stockholm Syndrome vs. Chumble Spuzz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riff-Off 2.4: Stockholm Syndrome vs. Chumble Spuzz

PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE POST BEFORE VOTING!

You are voting for your favorite riff in the CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND of the January 2010 Riff-Off. More information about the Riff-Off can be found here. To view the bracket for this month's Riff-Off, go here.

Because not all contestants have access to the same quality of recording equipment, your voting decision should be based first on the actual composition, second on the player's execution of the riff. Try to look past recording quality. Some questions you may want to ask yourself while considering which way to vote: What is the emotional impact of the riff? How original is the riff? Does the riff inspire me? Would I want to hear a whole song built off this riff?

Note that each contestant has chosen a battle name for the Riff-Off; their identities have been hidden from all other contestants and the voting public, and will be revealed at the end of the Riff-Off, when a champion is crowned.

Lastly, while comments are strongly encouraged, please realize that each contestant put personal time and creative energy into his or her submission. If you have any critique to provide in this thread, give the contestants the courtesy of making it constructive. This competition is built on the premises of fun and musical growth.

Here are the links to each clip in this battle:

Stockholm Syndrome

Chumble Spuzz

If you run into any technical issues or have other question regarding the Riff-Off, PM or email me (kgmessier at gmail dot com).

Have fun!

- Keith
    Stockholm Syndrome
    50.00%
    Chumble Spuzz
    50.00%

The poll is expired.

Originally posted by ImmortalSix
    I am just jug the merlot

Re: Riff-Off 2.4: Stockholm Syndrome vs. Chumble Spuzz

Oooooooooh a tough one

I'm seriously diggin' both. Gonna hafta mull these over.
    Originally posted by Brown Note
    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
    My Blog

Comment

good stuff guys
      congrats to you both for making it this far
      will have to listen to each a few more times before voting
      best of luck
      t4d

ps - there is a typo in the poll .. missing the S in stockholm
      gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Wow, both are very creative and out of the box. I like the smoothness on Chumble's riff, the delay was used perfectly, and the tone is nice.

The swede had a totally different approach and I dig it. The tone didn't hit me the slightest, and the recording quality is Meh. But I like the riff, the feeling and the creativity in it.

Stockholm gets my vote!
        www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days View Post
          ps - there is a typo in the poll .. missing the S in stockholm
          Two typos, in fact. I noticed them right away and asked Stevie Bees to fix them when he stickies the poll.
          I am just jug the merlot

Comment

I don't know what's up with Stockholm Syndrome's tone - I didn't like the fuzzy lo-fi thing there but after I got passed it - I realized I really like the catchy melody. A classic-rock classic...

Chumble - that's the right way to open an 80's rock anthem... . The use of delay is brilliant, loved the aggressive chords that follow the palm muted melody.

I would love to hear both riffs in a song context.

Comment

SS - I really like the way your riff is straight and to the point. I can easily imagine a song wrapped around it.

CS - Great timing with the delay .... nice overall ambience!

I voted but didn't vastly prefer one over the other.
              I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

i am hearing some strange volume drop outs or pumping or somesuch in chumble's .. just me?

voted - but it's definitely a 55-45 kinda thing - both are solid and in the same league to eb sure
                gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days View Post
                  i am hearing some strange volume drop outs or pumping or somesuch in chumble's .. just me?

voted - but it's definitely a 55-45 kinda thing - both are solid and in the same league to eb sure
                  That's why I would prefer the other ranking system.
                  www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

Stock's has the right groove for me and would really suit a big band sound
                    Nice length and note choices.

Chumble's riff is kicking when the chords rip in and would sound great once it gets to the meat of the song. Heavily gated but good use of effects.
                    👣
                    👣
                    💀

Comment

one was more interesting than the other which sounded like it had been done 1000 times before... should be a clear winner.
                      my soundclick page

Comment

Originally posted by GoDrex View Post
                        one was more interesting than the other which sounded like it had been done 1000 times before... should be a clear winner.
                        Sadly, you've been wrong before brother.

both are good. chumble got my vote, I liked his approach.

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
                          Sadly, you've been wrong before brother.
                          yeah I know - I still have trouble accepting it.

btw - tied up 6 to 6 at this point.
                          my soundclick page

Comment

Originally posted by GoDrex View Post
                            tied up 6 to 6 at this point.
                            Quite fitting for a championship match!
                            I am just jug the merlot

Comment

I just voted!!

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Working...
                              X