Riff-Off TITLE BOUT: GoDrex vs. B2D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riff-Off TITLE BOUT: GoDrex vs. B2D

PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE POST BEFORE VOTING!

You are voting for your favorite riff in the Riff-Off TITLE BOUT. More information about the Riff-Off can be found here. This is a very special bout because it determines who will carry the title of Riffologist Supremö. Having won the December 2009 and January 2010 Riff-Offs, respectively, GoDrex and B2D both carry the title of Riffologist Extraordinaire, but there can be only one Supremö!

The rules for Title Bout submissions remain the same as for regular Riff-Off entries with the added stipulation that the Title Bout riff must be in 7/8 time (or 7/4, for the tempo-conscious listener).

You've heard the rest of this before, but it bears repeating...

Because not all contestants have access to the same quality of recording equipment, your voting decision should be based first on the actual composition, second on the player's execution of the riff. Try to look past recording quality. Some questions you may want to ask yourself while considering which way to vote: What is the emotional impact of the riff? How original is the riff? Does the riff inspire me? Would I want to hear a whole song built off this riff?

Note that each contestant has chosen a battle name for the Riff-Off; their identities have been hidden from all other contestants and the voting public, and will be revealed at the end of the Riff-Off, when a champion is crowned.

Lastly, while comments are strongly encouraged, please realize that each contestant put personal time and creative energy into his or her submission. If you have any critique to provide in this thread, give the contestants the courtesy of making it constructive. This competition is built on the premises of fun and musical growth.

Here are the links to each clip in this battle:

Riff A

Riff B

As you can see, each riff remains anonymous until the poll closes. Which riff belongs to GoDrex and which one belongs to B2D? I'm not tellin'!

If you run into any technical issues or have other questions regarding the Riff-Off, contact me via email (kgmessier at gmail dot com).

Have fun!

- Keith
    Riff A
    36.36%
    Riff B
    63.64%

The poll is expired.

Originally posted by ImmortalSix
    I am just jug the merlot

Re: Riff-Off TITLE BOUT: GoDrex vs. B2D

I voted for Riff B because it made cooler looking patterns in the Windows Media Player. Otherwise, I couldn't have made a decision. Really, Riff A seemed a little more constrained by the time signature and I slightly preferred the feel of Riff 2. Both contestants proved their worthiness to be in this bout!
    I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Close race! However, I got more curious after having heard Riff B - I wanna hear more! Kinda kept me on the edge. Interesting riff for sure, with a band, this would be absolutely killer. The notes that make up the melody could be more in front, but I know it's hard to do.

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
      Both contestants proved their worthiness to be in this bout!
      Couldn't be more true!
      My Soundclick

Comment

i like A very much ... it is seamless and gets its rhythm going in a completely non self conscious way ... i can imagine a tune based on it starting off in concert with this riff and the crowd starting to cheer ... i can picture it being played at one of those huge euro outdoor festivals where they show the shot of the crowd from the stage and all the people have their arms up and waving them to the rhythmic pattern and are singing along

very nicely done ... very very nicely done

B is very good too ... not as seamless and a little more forced sounding to me ... but definitely a riff that sets its mood .... very good work indeed

kinda funny to me that both of these feel like 7/4 not 7/8
        Last edited by tone4days; 02-04-2010, 04:09 PM.
        gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Geez this is tough.

There's a reason this is a title bout, I guess!

One one hand, Riff A is played so cleanly and melodically, with an easy groove that I forgot it was even in an odd time. It just feels totally natural in 7/8. I like the crisp, crunchy tone as well. Really just an A+ effort here.

One the other hand, Riff B has the emotional edge. While it doesn't sit as easily in the 7/8 groove, the less fluid feel is well-suited to the melodic theme.. The tension built by the high note / pedal tone is released but the chords at the end.

I really struggled with this!

voted.
          -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

B had more flavor to my ears. A was well executed (and probably harder to play than it sounds), but I just kept waiting for something to jump out of the pattern.
            Last edited by DankStar; 02-04-2010, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Wow these guys are GOOD! Nice job to both with regards to the format!

Its a shame these two can't enjoy their respective titles a little longer!

Hard for me to add any meanigful comments to whats already been said ....A SOLID effort on both parts....

In the end in end it came down to the super-subjective aspect of which hit me more on an emotion/mood level and for me that was B.

Comment

It was pretty easy to recognize the tone and style. I enjoyed both riffs a lot.

Comment

Both great entries. Tough choice voting on this one. Riff A was so smooth and flowing for the time sig., while B had the emotional edge.

Comment

riff A is more my style in general, i like it better
                    Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
                    ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Comment

Congrats to both.
                      Originally posted by Brown Note
                      I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                      My Blog

Comment

Riff A felt natural --- and I could see it as the intro of a badass rock song!

Like in school of rock when JB says "a dark stage, a beam of light, then derrrrrrn-dowwwwwwwww, derrrrrrrrrrn-doowwwwwwwwww, then fog rolls across the stage..."

Riff B couldn't synch up with me for some reason.
                        my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

I'm actually a little disappointed by both of these actually. Compared to the variety we got during the main contests these both seem forced like they didn't have as much fun with these. My guess is because of the timing stipulation and the fact they were forced out of their comfort zones. Comfort is where individual personality comes from and personality sounds cool.

Having said that, there is some good stuff here.

Riff A is tight and simple. It has a nice flow but maybe too simple to my ears. It takes the timing challenge and beats it into submission in an almost predictable way.

Riff B throws a curve in there. It's a curve that may sound a little off but again I blame the timing. If I imagine a proper beat behind it it starts grooving. It takes the timing challenge and plays with it and says "you wanna have fun? I'll show you fun!"

Comment

Both very strong entries, and creative riffs.A has a strong character, and is perfect for a popular song.
                            B is more emotional and doesn't have the clarity what A has. It's rather dark, the tone is dirty. I like it
                            www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

Man, that was tough.
                              I listened to both back to back so many times that I didn't want to vote one over the other.

Pretty much agree with a lot of what has been said already.
                              Riff A has the kind of timing and groove that sits well with me, and sounded less forced.

Riff B has more going on and sounds like the writer spent more time on it, digging just a bit deeper. It needs good percussion to help it sit in context, but ultimately made me listen a bit more, in a good way.
                              Well done lads!
                              👣
                              👣
                              💀

Comment

Working...
                              X