Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Riff-Off TITLE BOUT: GoDrex vs. B2D

Originally posted by tone4days View Post
    we seem to have about 4 dozen regulars, give or take ... so lets just enjoy what we have and encourage more to try it
    That is true, and I agree..
    My Soundclick

Comment

Congratulations to B2D - I think he really deserved to win this battle. I just wasn't feeling what I had to offer - though it did grow on me a little over time (definitely check it out with bass and drums - it works a lot better with some accompaniment). The 7/8 or 7/4 time just doesn't groove for me in any natural way and I really thought I might not be able to come up with anything, so I'm glad I even came up with something decent to submit. But like I said elsewhere I think it was a good challenge because it forced me to do something out of my comfort zone. I really think B2D's riff is more interesting - and I'd love to hear that with some backing as well. Oh and yeah I do want to get into the March riff off - so count me in on that. Thanks to everyone that voted for my riff.
      Last edited by GoDrex; 02-07-2010, 08:59 AM.
      my soundclick page

Comment

Just PM me your battle name and you're in for March, Drex.
        Originally posted by ImmortalSix
        I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Originally posted by GoDrex View Post
          Congratulations to B2D - I think he really deserved to win this battle. I just wasn't feeling what I had to offer - though it did grow on me a little over time (definitely check it out with bass and drums - it works a lot better with some accompaniment). The 7/8 or 7/4 time just doesn't groove for me in any natural way and I really thought I might not be able to come up with anything, so I'm glad I even came up with something decent to submit. But like I said elsewhere I think it was a good challenge because it forced me to do something out of my comfort zone. I really think B2D's riff is more interesting - and I'd love to hear that with some backing as well. Oh and yeah I do want to get into the March riff off - so count me in on that. Thanks to everyone that voted for my riff.
          Your riff was solid and way tight. Props for a great effort!

Your clip with bass and drums also proves the significance of a band accompanying the riff too - it really, really grooves...!
          My Soundclick

Comment

Congrats to both guys once again.

Well done B, you really went to town on that challenge.

Ps. I don't envy your battle against the winner of the February Riff-off!
            👣
            👣
            💀

Comment

Originally posted by GoDrex View Post
              absolutely no shame in your riff whatsoever ... it is world class ...
              you made 7/4 very accessible while maintaining hipness - not an easy thing to do ... and your tone was spot on ... clarity and grit in perfect proportion

we all have our work cut out for us with you back in the hunt for march
              gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Congrats B2D, the SDUGF Riffologist Supremö!!!!

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Yess! Both are awesome and they both had worthy riffs for the match!
                  Congrats Brennaux! May the Riff gods be with you. You definetly will need them LOL
                  www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

Whee! I did it!!

Thank you to everyone who participated in the Riff-Offs prior and who went head-to-head with me! All of you were worthy opponents and really made me work for it, especially PFDarkside! I've learned a lot doing this and I've really, really enjoyed myself and enjoyed listening to the riffs that have been submitted thus far.

I'd also like to thank Keith for doing all of this for us. Keeping up with this is no small task and I think he deserves our gratitude for the work and time he's put into this. Let's hear it for Keith!

GoDrex had a really good riff for the title round. My congratulations to him both for December and a job well done on this month. I've never been able to write well in 7's, I'm better with 5's and 9's and such. His riff was really seamless and blended right into itself very well. I just tried to do my best and I'm thankful for everyone that appreciated my efforts. If I could do it over again I'd play the 1st two chords at the end of the 2nd bar a little sharper and more like the ones at the end of the 4th bar, for a more consistent feel if anything else.

That's the thing I've noticed most about this contest... I've never found myself paying MORE attention to the riff as a form; dissecting little individual notes and nuances and slides and slurs that make the riff sound like it does.

I'm looking forward to the challenge of defending the title from the next monthly champion... I'm in for a workout!! All the riffers for this month have really raised the bar and I'll need to rise to the occasion.

Again, thanks to all! This really is the best music forum on the web.

Comment

w00t!

Fun + Learning = Riff-Off

Congrats again, Brendan...er...Mr. Supremö!
                      I am just jug the merlot

Comment

That's what I love about this contest.

It's really less about competition and more about the study and appreciation of the riff as an art form.
                        -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

The riff is the haiku of rock.
                          I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
                            That's what I love about this contest.

It's really less about competition and more about the study and appreciation of the riff as an art form.
                            +1.725

Congrats! You are a worthy champion, B2D! (And a worthy previous month's champ, GoDrex! ) Way to go, stepping up to the challenge of odd meter riffing.
                            Last edited by PFDarkside; 02-08-2010, 05:40 PM.
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post

This really is the best music forum on the web.
                              True Dat ..... congratulations SRS!
                              I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Working...
                              X