Originally posted by Tor View Post
      Props to Gamara for awesome banners!
      Yeah, those banners are awesome!
      Originally posted by ImmortalSix
      I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Re: Vote Today!

Man, cool banners.

I hate to say it, but the bracket, for all it's flaws, was more fun.
        my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post
          I'm not sure if I agree with that. As a contestant, you can get a much, much better picture of the reception of your submission.

I never competed in the brackets, though, so my reference is limited.
          My Soundclick

Comment

Man, cool banners.

More fun for participating as a contestant, voting, or watching the results come in?

I lost a match-up to Redmist under the bracket system 44:1. It wasn't that much fun ...... LOL!
            I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
              I lost a match-up to Redmist under the bracket system 44:1. It wasn't that much fun ...... LOL!
              Well, he proved to be a very difficult competitor, so you didn't have much luck with the drawing. And that's another part of it; this system eliminates bad luck to a greater degree..
              My Soundclick

Comment

i had an unexpected epiphany over the weekend on the subject (hint - try to describe it to someone who knows nothing about this contest or this forum)

so now, for me, bracket, average scores, whatever

it belongs to adam and keith, not all of us forum members who chose to participate as riffers, listeners, voters, commenters, etc ....

i'll submit if/when i feel like it ... i'll probably still listen / vote / comment

but it just doesnt matter to me any more

the most important thing is playing and being creative - learning and enjoying as we go
                Last edited by tone4days; 02-15-2010, 03:51 PM.
                gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
                  More fun for participating as a contestant, voting, or watching the results come in?

I say it's more fun to vote.

I have not participated yet, and I don't really see a condensation of the new, more qualitative results.

Just one man's opinion, but I have seen the riff-off take a dive in participation, and I'm not saying either way is better; just that the original bracket method was more fun.

I have no intent to hurt the feelings of anyone who came up with either methodology. Just discussing an opinion in an open forum.

Love and kisses!
                  -Hunter
                  Last edited by ImmortalSix; 02-15-2010, 04:18 PM.

Comment

I say it's more fun to vote.

I have not participated yet, and I don't really see a condensation of the new, more qualitative results.

Just one man's opinion, but I have seen the riff-off take a dive in participation, and I'm not saying either way is better; just that the original bracket method was more fun.

I have no intent to hurt the feelings of anyone who came up with either methodology. Just discussing an opinion in an open forum.

Love and kisses!
                    -Hunter
                    I suspect that any decline in participation may simply be the result of the newness wearing off. I realize that you are not criticizing either scoring method or suggesting a change .......... but I like the flexibility of rating a guy's riff on its own merit and on its impact on me rather than giving a simple thumbs up or down. The current system allows me to participate more as a voter!
                    I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Hunter I love your new title... classic...

I have to say, I think this voting system is probably the most sound from a fairness and statistical perspective. This system effectively does what it was supposed to do, bring the best to the top while eliminating the riffs that were not up to par, without have the luck of drawing the potential champ in the first round and never having a chance.

It may not be the most..."fun" but it is certainly a more constructive, fair and statiscally sound voting system. Course you could always just switch it up every other time just for the sake of fun too...
                      "This is my hat now, this is totally my hat..."

Comment

When and how do the entries get submitted for each month? I may try to attempt something next go around.

Comment

Originally posted by Ball&Chain View Post
                          When and how do the entries get submitted for each month? I may try to attempt something next go around.
                          send a private message to Pink Unicorn Horsey
                          my soundclick page

Comment

Originally posted by Proverb-Man View Post
                            it is certainly a more constructive, fair and statiscally sound voting system

I agree that the new way is more constructive, fair, and statistically sound.

Comment

I agree that the new way is more constructive, fair, and statistically sound.
                              If I really had to get picky, I would've gone with a 1-5 rating instead of 0-6. Seven levels is almost too many to consider when REALLY putting a riff in perspective for me. Five seems just about right for me.

However, KeefHorsey is running this show and I'm sure he has his reasons for a seven-level scale.

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
                                If I really had to get picky, I would've gone with a 1-5 rating instead of 0-6. Seven levels is almost too many to consider when REALLY putting a riff in perspective for me. Five seems just about right for me.

However, KeefHorsey is running this show and I'm sure he has his reasons for a seven-level scale.
                                Yeah, I did consider a five-point scale. The only reason I went with seven over five is to lower the risk of tied average scores. Even with the seven-point scale, I've already seen a couple instances of ties.

- KeefHorsey
                                Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                                I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Working...
                                X