Dave Murray Strat Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave Murray Strat Build Thread

Hello everyone... I'm on to my next project. This time I'm building a replica of the Fender Dave Murray Signature Stratocaster. For those who are not familiar, Dave is one of the lead guitarists for Iron Maiden. Back in the late 70's Dave bought a 1950's strat (which was formally owned by the lead guitarist for the band Free). Dave customized the strat with Dimarzio humbuckers for a H-S-H configuration. Here is a photo of the Fender Signature Strat that came out a few years ago:

I decided to build my guitar as a slight relic since it is based on a 50-year-old strat. Plus, finding older, beat-up components might be both easier and cheaper.

To start, I decided to look for a MIM strat or Japanese Squier. After about 3 weeks I found a pretty cool Korean-made Squier strat on Ebay. I was skeptical because I know many of the Korean strats were plywood, and also about 3/4 the thickness of a standard strat body. The strat was pretty "relic'd" which is a cool added bonus, but I couldn't tell how beat up it was from the photos in the listing. But, the strat was $150 shipped and had a few things in it's favor.

#1, it had Gotoh tuners and the tremolo had real Fender saddles. I was encouraged that perhaps the strat was of higher quality.

#2, it appeared to have a Dimarzio humbucker in the bridge. I didn't know what kind (or if it was even a Dimarzio) but it was cream with the hex-screws so I figured it probably was a Super Distortion.

With that, I took the plunge. In my next post I will show you the guitar (I got it today) and show you some of the stuff I found.
    Last edited by The Dali; 05-08-2010, 07:45 AM.
    -=The Dali
    --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Re: Dave Murray Strat Build Thread

Ok, so here are some pictures and some freakin' cool stuff!!!

Here is the guitar just after I took it out of the box:

Here is a photo of the humbucker, it REALLY looks like a Dimarzio.

Ok, so I tuned it up and it played ok, the action is a bit high and the strings look like they were from 1957. The bridge is pretty gunky, but not rusted (unlike the strings). The tuners are FENDER GOTOH branded, but they are somewhat corroded. I expected to replace them with vintage-style Gotohs anyway.

Anyhow, the elctronics worked fine so the pickups were in good order. The body is actually PERFECT... it is slightly relic'd with some scratched and rub marks, but no major dings or gouges. AND, the body is a full size body! The neck is very nice, with very little fretwear. It is a pretty thin neck, but in great shape.

Here is a photo of the headstock and the tuners:

And here is a close-up of the bridge. PLUS! It has a full block, which leads me to believe it is a relatively new bridge (perhaps off a 07 - 09 MIM strat).

Now, I'll take off the pickguard and see what we've got...
    -=The Dali

Comment

Well, I really lucked out with this guitar. When I took out the pickguard I found that the body is definitely not a plywood body. I have no idea what kind of wood (maybe someone here knows?) but it is solid.

The bidge pickup cavity was routed out... poorly. But it seems like it will work for my purposes (maybe I'll try to clean it up when I route the neck humbucker cavity).

So... on to the pickups. What a find! The bridge humbucker is definitely a Dimarzio, as it says "Dimarzio USA" right on it. I took a meter to it and it measures at 13.60. It has 4 conductor wire and I am pretty sure it is a Super Distortion. Unfortunately, it isn't F-spaced and it doesn't line up at all with the saddles. It will likely have to go to finance a F-spaced Super D.

The middle pickup is also a Dimarzio. It is a HS-3 (says so right on the pickup). It actually wasn't even wired up! The HS-3 is in great condition and it metered out pretty hot. I'll probably sell that as well since it doesn't fit into the build.

The neck pickup was also working fine. It is a stacked single-coil that measured 8.5 on the meter. It is a generic one, I couldn't find any markings on it.

By the way, here is a picture of the full block of the bridge.

So... basically I have a very usable body, bridge, and neck and some electronics to sell to finance new pickups and other hardware. Very cool!
      -=The Dali

Comment

OK... so now on to the build specs... I intend to get fairly close to the Murray strat, with some obvious differences (ie, Squier body and neck...).

I intend to route out the pickup cavity fully and go with a full swimming pool route. It will be easier to just take it all out, and it will be easier to line the cavities with copper shield.

I am going to strip the headstock and apply a true Fender 50's logo on the front and I'm going to try to replciate Dave's signature on the back and re-lacquer the headstock.

I'm going to install Gotoh vintage tuners, so I'll be on the lookout for some slightly tarnished ones to match the overall look.

As for pickups. Dave's re-issue has two cream Dimarzio pups (Super D in the bridge and a PAF in the neck) and the middle pickup is a "Fender Custom Shop". The Fender site (and various other sites) don't specifically tell you what the pickup is, so I'm going to go with a Custom Shop Fat 50's middle (RWRP) pickup with a cream cover.

I'll be using chrome pickup rings for the humbuckers. I'm comtemplating a parchment pickguard instead of bright white. I'll need a Fender 3-way switch and 2 CTS pots. I'm going to put a coil-split push-pull pot for the 3rd pot to gain a little flexibility.

Ok... so there you go... should be a fun little project. I'm off to look for some pickups.
        -=The Dali

Comment

Great project there mate!
          You could get some more versatility with a 5 way switch and push pulls, but hey.
          this baby is all about ROCK!!

Comment

Just a thought - back when dave modded his there probably weren't F-spaced hbs, so the one you have would actually be period correct would it not?
            Bob

"I have read on the internet that Squires don't have very much tone. "

Comment

Very true... Good point... hmmm...
              -=The Dali

Comment

Dave's are NOT F-Spaced. Even on the new one that Grandturk has, they're not F-spaced.
                Neither are Adrian Smith's actually.
                So you got a sweet deal there, apart from the routing. Great score! Looks like someone already did a half-assed attempt at making it a Murray strat.

The pots should be 250K BTW.

http://www.myspace.com/marchofalaric

Comment

You'll also want brass pickup rings for the humbuckers, and possibly a Floyd.
                  Originally posted by Brown Note
                  I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                  My Blog

Comment

Re the F spaced things...I've used hot DMZ pups non F spaced on Strats...it was fine, but why not get them if it is an option?

I think that the gtr can still be true to the spirit!

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
                      You'll also want brass pickup rings for the humbuckers, and possibly a Floyd.
                      Not for the recent Fender sig model he's emulating.

Comment

good luck dude...should be cool
                        I'm just a few hundred lessons away from being a great guitar player.......

Comment

Thanks guys! Ok, well the non-f-space thing works for me then. I guess I just need the neck PAF pup at this point.

Also... Dio you mentioned 250K pots... I have 3 brand new ones, but I assumed I should be using 500k. Is there a resource I can check to determine what his electronics are?
                          -=The Dali

Comment

Originally posted by The Dali View Post
                            Thanks guys! Ok, well the non-f-space thing works for me then. I guess I just need the neck PAF pup at this point.

Also... Dio you mentioned 250K pots... I have 3 brand new ones, but I assumed I should be using 500k. Is there a resource I can check to determine what his electronics are?
                            Yeah, Grandturk! I asked him the specs when I was doing my own Squier one. He's got pics of all the guts.
                            I originally had 500K pots in mine and it sounded good with them too, soso I'd just chuck them in and see how you like it.

Comment

Originally posted by eschoendorff

Cross-posted on the JCF if anyone's also a member there... Dave Murray Strat Review - holy crap this is long - feel free to skip down to the pics! Overall, I am very pleased with this guitar. It sounds and plays great. Im on vacation, so Ive got a limited rig - Pocket POD, my old Marshall Valvestate 1x10 and a MXR distortion pedal - not a star rig, but it gets the job done up here in the woods. I honestly think a Strat with humbuckers is one of the best melding of sounds out there -

If you check out this pics, you can almost make out what is on the pots...
                              Note who posted that thread....

Comment

Working...
                              X