Graduate Program Audition Piece

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graduate Program Audition Piece

Just thought I'd share a piece I'm doing for my graduate degree program audition (one of a few I'm preparing). I'm going for a masters in music education - will be applying this January and auditioning in February or March.

It's George Benson's "Tendery" (the original version from the 1989 record of the same name). Very cool recording. I have the introduction down (from the top up to 1:06) and some of the first A section. It's funny how so many people don't know that the whole first minute is a beautiful introduction and not even part of the form! There's SOOO much stuff from Johnny Smith and Kenny Burrell all over the place. The pedaltone run (different chords all with the A natural on top) from :14 - :21 is right from Kenny. Lots of Johnny Smith voicings too. Plus a lot of George's ferocious single-note lines and incredibly rhythmic triad/thirds/sixths (like 1:35 - 1:37: the "nyuck nyuck nyuck" part ). What a wonderful solo interpretation from George Benson!

I've been playing it with my thumb "a la Wes" (which has turned into my regular comping/octaves/block chords soloing technique for all of my playing). I'm learning it note-for-note now - getting the correct fingering and phrasing down. To figure it out, I've been comparing it to all the knowledge of the great players I've been studying so diligently (namely Wes Montgomery, Kenny Burrell, Grant Green, of course other George Benson stuff, and Johnny Smith thrown in there). I'm not sure if I'm gonna play it exactly like the recording for my audition, or if I'm gonna play the tune "Tenderly" as a solo piece and use these ideas, Johnny's ideas, Kenny's ideas and my own ideas together in an improvised bit. We'll see as it comes up.

And hopefully I'll be posting a recording once I get it down. Post it on the U of T00B

Just wanted to share!!
    Last edited by Gunny47; 10-27-2012, 01:44 PM.
    - BlueBurst Campellone Standard CSTM (Kent Armstrong Johnny Smith Mini HB n)
    - Pelham Blue Gibson DG-335 (Antiquity n/'78 b)
    - Goldtop Gibson R7 (Antiquity HBs)
    - Teal Green Metallic Fender '56 NOS Strat (Antiquity Surfers n&m/Antiquity Texas Hot Custom b)
    - Tungsten Buckwheat
    - Fender '57 Tweed Twin-Amp
    - Vintage Sound Amps VS112P (Princeton Reverb clone)
    - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Re: Graduate Program Audition Piece

Nail that dude and you have my enduring admiration - it lost me after the first bar...
    Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Benson is a master, no doubt about it. Sounds like a wonderful piece to use!!
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Why are you copying it note for note? Or are you just using what you learn from copying it to integrate into your own interpretation?
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
          Why are you copying it note for note? Or are you just using what you learn from copying it to integrate into your own interpretation?
          Well, I'm transcribing it for learning purposes, but I may play it as-is for the audition (as one of a few pieces). Shows technique/research (that I'm not a "jazz" player that plugs in a bunch of scales/patterns/formulas and never did any serious learning of MUSIC) etc etc. The audition is pretty open as to what types of prepared pieces you can have.
          - BlueBurst Campellone Standard CSTM (Kent Armstrong Johnny Smith Mini HB n)
          - Pelham Blue Gibson DG-335 (Antiquity n/'78 b)
          - Goldtop Gibson R7 (Antiquity HBs)
          - Teal Green Metallic Fender '56 NOS Strat (Antiquity Surfers n&m/Antiquity Texas Hot Custom b)
          - Tungsten Buckwheat
          - Fender '57 Tweed Twin-Amp
          - Vintage Sound Amps VS112P (Princeton Reverb clone)
          - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Comment

right on
            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Dayum .... great job!!

That definitely sounds like a fat body jazz box you're playing. What was it?
              I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Working...
              X