Clear All

Re: CTN builds a Star

Shyeah.

I'm erect.

Comment

never heard of kne... kewl
      Anxious to see this project unfold
      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Feels like christmas!!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!

Today, the mailman dropped off a couple of boxes:

Box number 1 was from ebay seller Bezdez, and features a bevy of shiny chrome hardware:

L-R, going clockwise: Rear string ferrules, front string ferrules, bigass strap buttons, neck mounting screws, neck mounting ferrules, jack plate+screws, and obviously the humbucker mounting ring.
        [/URL]

Box number 2 was from a local company called Trans Continental Hardware, and features a bunch of hardware for the case:

Again, L-R, clockwise: hinges, corner protectors, handle, latches (middle one is lockable, and there's the key for it too)

I haven't yet decided if I'm gonna use rivets, machine screws or wood screws for the case, but I can get that from Home Depot.

I also got a tiny little package from China which contained some really tiny bearings, for my dremel router bit, for small template work. Woohoo!

Best of all, I got this in my inbox:

***Please do not reply to this message. Replies to this message are routed to an unmonitored mailbox.***

Reference Number 93057

A package was shipped to you on 04/11/2013 via U.S. Postal Service to the following address:

(what, you think I'm gonna leave my address in here? )

Tracking Number: a bunch of numbers and letters

Warmoth Guitar Products, Inc.
        That means the neck is en route!!! Should be here by friday next week. I'm hoping the tuners, and knobs get here by then as well. Additionally I'm expecting a box from StewMac any day now which will contain a bunch of electronics stuff, and the Gotoh tuneomatic. I think by next weekend I'll be able to start shaping the headstock and do a test fitting/acoustic test of all the hardware.

So that's my Christmas in April!

Comment

Originally posted by CTN View Post
          I also got a tiny little package from China.
          That's personal, man. I hear it's a common problem, though.

Can't wait to see how the guitar turns out.

Comment

lol I'll post a pic of the bearings in a bit. they're MINISCULE!

Comment

Yay!!!

Lay it all out & pic(s)!!!

Please tell me/us you're not gonna put the strap button on the backside of the body...
              "Scalloped & Stickered"
              A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

I was considering it. After all, it is where Charvel put it on the original stars.

But in actual fact I'm gonna do some experimenting to find the best spots to balance the body and I'll put em there, wherever that happens to be.

Comment

here's the bearings. That's a Canadian quarter, for reference. It's the same size as American quarters. The bearing is for a 1/8" shank, and 1/4" outside diameter.

And here's a stack of 3 of them on the dremel 1/4" router bit

Comment

Looks pretty good so far... definitely excited to see the finished product! That hardware looks very shiny!
                    My band: VISIBLY INVISIBLE

Comment

More goodies!!!

This is from stewmac.

L-R,

sprague orange drop cap 0.022uf, couple of alpha 250k audio pots (I just like how they turn, CTS feels too stiff), behind that - cloth pushback wire (LOVE LOVE LOVE this stuff), direct mounting screws and rubber tubing for the neck pickup, and a shiny chrome Gotoh tune-o-matic.

The Gotoh mounts like an ABR-1, but the top part is like a Nashville. Larger travel range for the saddles so it intonates better, and no pesky retainer wire. woohoo! 12" radius to match the fretboard.

The rest of the parts for this project will be in by this time next week (hopefully).

Comment

Have you used the case part place before? I'm in the market for some hinges and latches and such.
                        Originally posted by Aceman
                        It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

I haven't needed to, but they were totally professional. Good prices too. I placed the order late at night, went to bed, and they called first thing the next morning to go over the order, and also to let me know that they didn't have the latches I wanted in stock. I ended up going with significantly more expensive latches, but they guy gave me a reduced price for them. It was shipped that afternoon and I received it by courier the next day (but I'm in the same city they are so....yeah)

No complaints whatsoever. Pleasure to deal with.

Here's their website:

TCH is a leading industrial and case hardware component distributor and supplier. We offer a wide range of hardware component products. Contact us now!
                          Last edited by CTN; 04-13-2013, 08:50 AM.

Comment

^^ Thanks for the link. TCH has some good stuff. That black metal speaker grill has potential indeed...
                            PC

Comment

No prob

Comment

You can always shorten the neck mount screws if need be. I had to shorten all 4 of them on my Strat due to how much I sculpted the heal down.
                                Where Words Fail, Music Speaks
                                If a positive attitude is a Magnet for positive results, what type positive attitude sounds best, A2, A5, UOA5, A8, C8, or?

Comment

Working...
                                X