banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of forum special pickup could and would you take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of forum special pickup could and would you take?

Just continuing the dreaming.

Please me mindful that some of this obviously is exclusive choices but the forum software doesn't allow locking that down.

ETA: see previous discussions here
    Humbucker is the only thing I'd take
    27.17%
    Humbucker is preferred, but could take others
    47.83%
    Will/can not take humbucker
    1.09%
    Strat only
    5.43%
    Strat preferred
    14.13%
    Will/cannot take Strat
    2.17%
    Tele only
    1.09%
    Tele preferred
    11.96%
    P90/minihum format only
    0%
    P90/minihum format preferred
    9.78%
    Last edited by uOpt; 02-04-2016, 09:29 AM.

Re: What kind of forum special pickup could and would you take?

The poll can only have 10 options so it is incomplete.

If you are serious about possibly buying I think you might want to make a post saying specifically what you could and would buy and what your pickup format situation is like.

I think it is blindly assumed that pickups requiring routing or special rings are out for this round.

Disclaimer: I am just tinkering, nothing official. Trying to find out whether there is critical mass, and how to make something that has wider appearl.

Comment

Don't own too many guitars yet, I would love a different pickup for my strat...
      Unbelief is safe, because it takes no risk and almost always gets what it expects.

When your passion begins to decline, you already start to die. You were born to burn.

Comment

Aww no bass options? Stupid 10 thingy limit.

Comment

I'll start something in the bass subforum.

Will be tough because the stupid basses don't take each other's pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
            I'll start something in the bass subforum.

Will be tough because the stupid basses don't take each other's pickups.
            That has always frustrated me...

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
              That has always frustrated me...
              Well.

Let's just ship the next forum pickup with a router...

Comment

Voted. Option 2 (Humbuckers preferred, but open to others).

However, by "others" I mean "Rails or Lil/Jr format". I do no own anything that can hold a Firebird mini or dogear P90 or Tele "confusingly huge baseplate" or lipstick. It will either have to be a JB-sized bucker, or a JBJr or HotRails format for the one pickguarded guitar I have. I have no interest in "Classic Strat" singles at this time (though the SoCal could do it, I'm just not looking for that).

However, this begs the question: "What's the real goal here?"

Is it an attempt to make up for a previous effort? The comments about the routing and mounting ring and "wider appeal" indicate that.

Has a legitimate hole in the production models been identified?
                Originally posted by Brown Note
                I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                My Blog

Comment

I'm definitely a humbucker guy, but anything from the custom shop has gotta be cool.

Comment

If we design one as a forum and can figure out how many people are in, I would be happy to take it up with Derek and see if he will produce it and give us the 3 month discount like with the Fugly.

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
                      However, this begs the question: "What's the real goal here?"

Is it an attempt to make up for a previous effort? The comments about the routing and mounting ring and "wider appeal" indicate that.
                      The way I see it the successful phase of forum pickups was a good deal for SD and for us. And then we made a mistake (or two) and now it is stalled.

Has a legitimate hole in the production models been identified?
                      That's a very individual question, but for me, yes the Stratocaster pickup with big magnets but more vintage wind is a big hole in SD's offerings. I explained the concept and why I think it would be popular in a different thread.

Such a pickup would, in addition to the normal effect of selling a good run of pickups, also repair some of the SD image damage that the normal QP can do. This is especially true in the bass world, although of course this question is for the guitar version.

If things develop the way I personally would like them to such a pickup would be reasonably popular - standard format Strat, affordable (single coil) and "backed" by a well known artist, Blackmore. You know what you will get, approximately. On youtube. I think that a critical mass to do a run in the factory would probably result.

The Seymour Duncan company would get feedback about this pickup and see whether uOpt is just full of it or whether freagging Blackmore knew what he was doing. Either way, SD can do some research while getting payed for it, if enough preorders roll in.

Then, if that worked out the way I dream you could do the same stunt for the Precision bass quarter pounder, which from my observation does a large part of the thing where bass players care a lot less about Seymour Duncan than guitar players.
                      Last edited by uOpt; 03-07-2014, 05:45 PM.

Comment

I am open to anything, but I have a bit of a bug for a P90 ... maybe a different version of the Phat Cat. Just yesterday I decided to build an HSS Strat with a P90 or Phat Cat in the bridge. The current vintage model may do just fine. I don't know that there's a void in that particular Duncan line, though.
                        I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

I'd "take" anything. I'd be more inclined to purchase a humbucker.
                           Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

I'd go humbucker if it wasn't to hot.
                            "Believe the word, I will unlock my door and pass the cemetery gates"

Comment

Give us the Duncan version of the Dimarzio SDS-1, Fralin SP-42, or something similar. The rail on the Stra-Bro-90 is lame. Just give us 6 adjustable pole pieces.
                              Originally posted by LesStrat
                              Yogi Berra was correct.
                              Originally posted by JOLLY
                              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X