Killed my DSL???....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killed my DSL???....

Having fun ratling windows on Wednesday...and all of a sudden....Zzzzzzzzzzztttttt...power lights workk..tubes glowing....amp goes completely silent...

Since I have basically no spares right now I spent over $100 in new EL34s and a few pre-amp/pi tubes...even if that was not the culprit, I know I need them..

Then $30 bucks on a new speaker cable...

Still no sound.....

on a whim, plugged the combo internal speaker in...sound....amp works fine....

Turns out I blew one of the H30s in my cab. Kinda miffed. But a new speaker is cheaper than replacing my old Mullard yellow label in v1 , not to mention transformers or something else serious....

Seems like the right time to pick up a h30 bass cone , or maybe a 12-65
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Re: Killed my DSL???....

I messed up one of my Swamp Thangs, rated higher than the Heritage and with a heck of a lot less wattage.
    It happens! Annoying, but I guess it was a transient or oscillation from a fuzz pedal ...
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Ditch the MIC Celestions and go here - https://wgs4.com/ Less $ and MIA. FWIW, I love the British Lead.

Comment

Been down the WGS route previously...Wasn't impressed. They are assembled in the usa, btw. Still Chinese materials.

If I go elsewhere it would be scumback.
        I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

At least it wasn't a transformer.

A Creamback 65 or 75 would sound good, although they're expensive and rarely come up used.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
            Been down the WGS route previously...Wasn't impressed. They are assembled in the usa, btw. Still Chinese materials.

If I go elsewhere it would be scumback.
            I get the feeling it takes quite a bit to impress you.

Comment

Those damn Chinese Materials.
              Like:
              The computers we all use.
              Car parts
              Hospital equipment
              NASA parts.
              The Bridge across Oakland/SF Bay
              What would the Chinese know about paper pulp and winding a wire around a bobbin.
              Wait a minute.....the idiot Chinese invented paper.......
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY73mb28orM
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35mZ4BAvEbg
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nToonE52DG8
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMl-ddFbSF0

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                I get the feeling it takes quite a bit to impress you.
                Im picky, no doubt. I grew up playing cabs and amps loaded with original greenback, blackback, and 12-65s.

In the case of WGS, My Green Beret sounds pretty sterile and one dimensional compared to my evh g12ms, and 12m Creamback. So Im not really confident in throwing any more $ their way.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                  At least it wasn't a transformer.

A Creamback 65 or 75 would sound good, although they're expensive and rarely come up used.
                  Yeah. I am thankful it was the speaker only.

My combo came with a 12m creamback, but its the wrong ohms to drop in the cab with my other speakers Creamback 12H is a consideration for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                    I messed up one of my Swamp Thangs, rated higher than the Heritage and with a heck of a lot less wattage.
                    It happens! Annoying, but I guess it was a transient or oscillation from a fuzz pedal ...
                    I would be curious to know what the issue was on mine. Nothing visibly wrong with it.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
                      I would be curious to know what the issue was on mine. Nothing visibly wrong with it.
                      Mine either, but it makes a sound like there is a loose wire vibrating against the cone when plugged in... I will send it to Eminence for repair at some point, but I have another one for recording so it's not mission critical...

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                        Mine either, but it makes a sound like there is a loose wire vibrating against the cone when plugged in... I will send it to Eminence for repair at some point, but I have another one for recording so it's not mission critical...
                        Interesting. Mine is just dead silent. Like the amp is off.

Comment

I think we both have the same issue: blown voice coil. Does the cone have any travel when you press on it, or is it frozen in place?

Comment

Idk....I packed it away in its original box. Will have to check that.

On a somewhat tangential note...The 40c green channel sounds absolutely phenomenal with a Vintage 30 loaded into the combo cab.To me it sounds better than the g12m creamback it came with. V30 really opens it up/fills it out and surprisingly NOT harsh at all (mine is fairly well broken in too).

Comment

Working...
                            X