Need some help how to get Adam Jones' (TOOL) tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need some help how to get Adam Jones' (TOOL) tone

Clearly some people here haven't actually listened to Tool...

Back on topic, you'll definitely need a used amp if your budget is truly $500. I think your best bet at that price point is a nice pedal platform amp and then a really nice preamp or distortion pedal to get the type of tone you want. If you want 10,000 Days you will want something capable of a lot of gain and compression like a Suhr Riot or something. It's really up to your preference there, but its probably your best bet if you can't actually get a real high wattage amp like a Dual Rec or JVM to crank, because that's really the only way to get his sound the proper way. Good luck!
    Originally posted by Rockstar216
    Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

https://www.guitarworld.com/artists/...on-tools-jambi

Here's what guitar world says he used on Jambi and their budget recommendation.

Comment

I saw them at a very small club in Akron after they recorded Opiate and just before they hit it big. Adam was a very nice guy, his tone was good but did not blow me away. He used one Les Paul (not a silverburst, I think it was black) and one Marshall bass head into one Marshall 4x12 cabinet. His tone was thick and full of mids and not particularly high gain. He maybe had the treble and/or presence turned down lower than most Marshall players. I would say lots of bass & mids, nit so much treble & presence. He was plugged straight into his amp, no effects at all. I bought "Opiate" not long after that show and it sounded roughly like his live tone.
        One thing I gotta say is, it was the BASS player who had the monster tone. When the two of them locked together it made for a massive sound. Some of that "guitar" tone is the bass guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
          One thing I gotta say is, it was the BASS player who had the monster tone. When the two of them locked together it made for a massive sound. Some of that "guitar" tone is the bass guitar.
          YESSS!!! One thing I love about TOOL is how prominent the bass is...truly part of the sound rather than an undercurrent of simple groove support that no one notices!

Comment

The first time I saw them live I was surprised how much I thought was guitar was actually bass and vice versa. Especially in the more ambient songs.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
              YESSS!!! One thing I love about TOOL is how prominent the bass is...truly part of the sound rather than an undercurrent of simple groove support that no one notices!
              Dude was really great, and his sound was just massive, punchy, and clear as a bell. He was working his a$$ off.

Comment

Anderton's had two videos on how to get his tone, one in a budget and another one by stealing a bank.

I'd refer to those first. Adam's tone is thick as hell.
                Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Working...
                X