the new BOSS -same as the old BOSS ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the new BOSS -same as the old BOSS ?

I notice Boss have released the MK2 series Katana amps. When the first Katana models came out, 2 years ago I believe, one guy in a music shop described them to me as 'the best thing since the invention of sliced bread'; not any more!. I didn't buy one. I guess many of the MK1 amps will soon be sold off cheap or eventually end up as garbage in landfill..as some predicted from the start. A very classic example of built in or planned obsolescence in order to stimulate interest in people to buy more as with so many products. Maybe we should welcome all this, that it's not all bad?
    Last edited by Gold star; 10-06-2019, 01:35 AM.

Re: the new BOSS -same as the old BOSS ?

There's a second voicing for each of the 5 existing amps on the panel and you can put 5 effects inline instead of 3. I don't see that as a big jump. I also noticed that they're not offering up a replacement for the "Artist", only the core lineup.

There's also the chance that the MK1 amps will gain some of the benefits of the MK2 models in future updates. Plus, there are plenty of other amps you can access through software on the MK1's. Either way, I'm not bothered nor swayed by this news.

If prices on the MK1 drop a bit, that's a huge win for players everywhere. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the current lineup and the MK1 amps are still very well supported, both by the manufacturer and the player community.

Comment

Has anyone compared the Katana to the Boss Nextone series? I am looking for a smaller SS amp for practice and occasional gigs about 30 watts or so.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I just swapped my Vox AC4C1 for a Katana 50 a couple weeks ago.. walked in with a one trick pony and walked out with a versatile grab n go for under $100 out of pocket.

I've explored the onboard effects but other than reverb and delay I hardly touch them, so dont care much about the revision.

Comment

This seems like a similar situation to when Fender released the Hot Rod Deluxe in '96 . . . remember all the hoards of people throwing out their old Deluxe Reverbs because a newer one came along? Me neither.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            Has anyone compared the Katana to the Boss Nextone series? I am looking for a smaller SS amp for practice and occasional gigs about 30 watts or so.
            Do you need onboard effects, or just simple and sounds killer? If it’s the latter, check out the Orange Micro Dark.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
              This seems like a similar situation to when Fender released the Hot Rod Deluxe in '96 . . . remember all the hoards of people throwing out their old Deluxe Reverbs because a newer one came along? Me neither.

As there’s been nothing but rave reviews of the Katana, it’s refreshing for me to see Boss continue to improve on a product rather than let it sit for a decade.

Whenever I get more time to play consistently, I’m thinking of picking up a little combo for practice. The Boss and Yamaha both are very tempting.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                I'm not familiar with the current Boss amps but go check out the Vox AV30. You like lightweight rigs, this amp fits the bill. It sounds killer and works in so many different situations. It's a WSIWYG analog amp with different amp voicings. An analog modeler so to speak.

Comment

hi..tell me, when you download digital amp models to these units , what are they actually like- and are they permanent? I assume patches are the effects downloads? essentially The katana is a computer with an amp section that can drive large speakers...

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                    I'm not familiar with the current Boss amps but go check out the Vox AV30. You like lightweight rigs, this amp fits the bill. It sounds killer and works in so many different situations. It's a WSIWYG analog amp with different amp voicings. An analog modeler so to speak.
                    I read this as “AC30” and was like “WTF... oh, AV30”
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                      I read this as “AC30” and was like “WTF... oh, AV30”
                      You're not the first person to have that reaction.

There is an AC30 setting on it and I must say, it's pretty damn convincing. Nice and chimey, beautiful when overdriven. I like the Plexi setting a lot and have been using that as of late. With my Boss OD-3 out front, it's a thing of beauty.

Comment

Originally posted by Gold star View Post
                        hi..tell me, when you download digital amp models to these units , what are they actually like- and are they permanent? I assume patches are the effects downloads? essentially The katana is a computer with an amp section that can drive large speakers...
                        I've got the Katana 50. I never really considered the amp settings models, but I guess they are. If you plug it in to your computer via USB you can tweak and change which effects your using in the different effects slots, but you can't change amp models. Sounds pretty good to me, but I also did just buy another tube amp (Vox AC15C2), so I guess the battle between tubes and solid state goes on.
                        "An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. " - Bukowski

"A banker will take a guitar and play three notes on it. A rock star will take a guitar and throw it across the room. " - David Lee Roth

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                          Do you need onboard effects, or just simple and sounds killer? If it’s the latter, check out the Orange Micro Dark.
                          Thing is, I have no need for a distortion channel, which the Orange is geared toward.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The Katana cleans are killer...lots of options. And once you tap into the Tone Studio software, not even the sky is the limit!

My suggestion is to buy the KTN-100 at minimum, even if you're considering a smaller wattage amp. You can access 100W/50W/0.5W power levels with the turn of a knob, both the 100W and 50W are similar in size/weight and you get a much better speaker on the KTN-100.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                              You're not the first person to have that reaction.

There is an AC30 setting on it and I must say, it's pretty damn convincing. Nice and chimey, beautiful when overdriven. I like the Plexi setting a lot and have been using that as of late. With my Boss OD-3 out front, it's a thing of beauty.
                              I had a Vox VT-80+ for a while. Great sounding amp, except I felt the cab was a little small for the 12” speaker.

I had a friend’s AC-15 at my house for a while, and the AC-15 patch on the VT was dead on.

Ironically I mostly used the Marshall patch.

Now I have a Marshall Code 100. Great amp, but I liked certain things in the Vox more. It had better built in effects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X