banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Reliability of my Boss Katana Artist is...Shocking!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Reliability of my Boss Katana Artist is...Shocking!

As many of you know, I'm a big fan of the Boss Katana amps. I still believe the tone-to-price ratio is unbeatable on these things. Since first trying the original KTN-50, I moved up to a KTN-100, and eventually to a Katana Artist, which is top-of-the-line in the series and an upgrade I recommend to anyone serious about the Katana series. I have REALLY enjoyed my investment in the Artist...until now.

First, let me say that the amp appears to function fine and still sounds great. At a glance, everything seems to be working as it should. The problem is...the amp is shocking me!

Not sure why, but it has begun to leak an electric charge. If I don't touch anything for 20-30 seconds while the amp is on, I get a small, but highly uncomfortable electric shock when I touch any metal part of the guitar. And this isn't happening on just a single guitar...it's happening with all of them! Same with the amp itself...if I wait a few seconds and then touch one of the bolt heads on top which support the chassis inside, I experience the same shock!

For initial trouble-shooting, I tried swapping the instrument cable for a brand new one. No luck. I tried swapping the removable power cable out for a new one. No luck. I tried it on different wall outlets and even in different rooms known to be on separate circuits. No luck. Still, concerned that something might be up with the home wiring that I couldn't evaluate so easily (note: I don't have this issue with any other electronic device in the house), I bought a fancy socket tester with a digital voltage readout and everything in the house has tested out fine, yet the shocks remain. Probably an internal grounding issue, but who knows.

What irritates me is that I'm outside of warranty on this thing, so I'll likely be out-of-pocket for any repairs. I'll contact Boss to verify that, but I find this incredibly upsetting for what should be a flagship product at a premium price. Thought others might want to know.

Re: The Reliability of my Boss Katana Artist is...Shocking!

that sucks, nothing like your toys trying to kill you

Comment

Obviously the amp needs fixing and Boss should eat this one. Find out who the VP or President of marketing at Boss is and write them an actual letter that goes in the mail. Keep it brief and on point and include copies of any charges you incurred and polity request recompense.

Years ago I had a part in my Jeep go south that though out of warranty should not have given me problems. Wrote Mopar and they cut me a check for $1,300 to cover the repair.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Ah, you get used to it. I used an old amp without a ground plug on it for ages. If you plugged it into the wall the wrong way you would get zapped when touching the amp. Eventually I got smart and wrote a 'B' on the side of the plug that was supposed to go into the bigger slot on the outlet. Worked great until someone flipped the damned ground reverse switch on me.

:P
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I had an issue with my Marshall that if I touched the strings on the guitar and not the body, Id get a shock, same with the amp, touch something metal on it, Id get a small zap, ended up the outlet was bad.
            1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
            Jackson Soloist 7 string
            ESP LTD M-400
            Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

It's definitely not the outlets. As I mentioned, they've been checked and measured. The house is grounded properly. Plus, I've tried different circuits in the house with the same result.

Any idea why it takes 20-30 seconds for the charge to "build up" inside the amp/guitar before it will cause an apparent shock? Seems like that could be some sort of clue to someone who understands the internal workings of amps better than myself.

Comment

Ground
                Could be the ground pin on the cord (my guess)
                Could be loose where it connects inside amp

Easy replace
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

So the shock is only when you touch parts of the amp, but not when you touch the strings of the guitar or the plug on the guitar cable?

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                    So the shock is only when you touch parts of the amp, but not when you touch the strings of the guitar or the plug on the guitar cable?
                    No, it's all of the above. The charge steadily increases if I don't touch anything and touching the strings, bridge, amp, etc. all result in an electric shock.

Comment

That is strange, I would definitely contact Boss! Warranties are one thing, but a safety issue should get their attention.

It's most likely a grounding issue somewhere, but I can't diagnose very well over the interwebs, and the building charge thing is strange, but again, don't know where to start over the internet.

Comment

Open up the amp and check that the ground connection on the power cable input port is properly making contact

Comment

Building charge is what happens when it doesn't have path to ground
                          Like a capacitor

You become path

That's what the ground conductor on the power cable does

Those over molded plugs break the ground off regularly

You can check the connection inside the amp as well
                          EHD
                          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

As a temporary fix you could probably solder a coat hanger to the chassis, and then stick the coat hanger in the ground hole an outlet while playing.
                            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Probably rocking too hard. Try some Hall & Oats.

Comment

Working...
                              X