banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New poster, thinking WAY outside the box!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New poster, thinking WAY outside the box!

Greetings everyone. I have a situation I’d like to run by the group for advice.

I have a reverb-find, Epiphone black beauty 3-pickup Les Paul that’s wired 3 volume and 1 tone (the way I like it). It came with aftermarket pickups, one in a “hotshot” ring (or words to that effect), which I’m sure are better than the stock epi’s, but still don’t do it for me. I normally play classic rock and blues. I’m thinking of a Pearly Gates set, but for the middle, I’d like to go out of the box and put in something that’s very sonically different, as I’ll be able to kill its volume when I don’t want to play it. Something a bit more aggressive is fine, but not WAY out there.
    I was actually thinking something like a mini-humbucker or even a filter-tron style, but it doesn’t have to be a non-humbucker. If a little surgery has to be done, it’s a 500$ used Epi, so that’s not a deal breaker.

Looking forward to hearing what everyone thinks….

Re: New poster, thinking WAY outside the box!

Pearly Gates and Les Pauls are a match made in heaven!

If it were me and I was looking for something a little different in the middle, I'd probably go with a humbucker-sized P90 or maybe one of the new SD "Psyclone" pickups, which are a humbucker-sized Filtertron

Comment

Lace Deathbucker. And before you write it off as over the top, it's not just for death metal. It's probably one of the clearest neutral sounding pickups that I've ever heard. It sounds just as good clean or crunchy as it does with over the top distortion. Middle position humbuckers can sometimes sound weird, but I think that it would shine in that slot.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

OK...with PG's:

A Duncan Distortion neck pup with the height set just right! You will be able to dial in as much balls as you want to boost a lead, fatten up a rhythm, go hard rock, or whatever on either of the other two!

Bonus points - get a tap on the tone knob for it to go for a decent single coil if you want.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

How about a Phat Cat for the middle? It will blend well with the PGs.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

^ That's what I had in my HHH guitar and it worked famously. I think a mini would work well too.
            The things that you wanted
            I bought them for you

Comment

Way out of the box, Full Shred Neck. Very articulate and lower output, will give you more of a low power PAF vibe than the PG set. The Phat Cat is a cool idea too, I like that one. If you want a hot, thick ummm... tone, then a Custom Custom, maybe?

Comment

My first thought was one of the new full-sized Psyclone humbuckers.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Phat cat is NOT outside the box. It's a super-common middle choice, and a good one IMO. But not what OP was asking for.
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                    Phat cat is NOT outside the box. It's a super-common middle choice, and a good one IMO. But not what OP was asking for.
                    Thanks everyone! Just to clarify, what I meant by "outside the box", is that I was willing to mix it up with manufacturers and styles. So things like adding a mini or a filtertron toaster or something to that effect. Probably the only thing I don't want is a single coil in there. For something like a phat cat or other 'buckers, the goal here is to be able to flip over to the middle only and have something that's very tonally different than the pearly gates sound.

Comment

A Stag Mag is also a good choice, with a Triple Shot ring.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        A Stag Mag is also a good choice, with a Triple Shot ring.
                        Actually the ring will be the first to go. I thought it was a nice bonus when I got the guitar, but I can't remember what the settings are, and it just doesn't impress me. What's in it right now is an uncovered DiMarzio Steve Vai Evo 2 at the bridge.

Comment

With the right pickup, the ring is magic. To know what the switches do, check out the manual.

Comment

Originally posted by biglionfan111 View Post
                            Thanks everyone! Just to clarify, what I meant by "outside the box", is that I was willing to mix it up with manufacturers and styles. So things like adding a mini or a filtertron toaster or something to that effect. Probably the only thing I don't want is a single coil in there. For something like a phat cat or other 'buckers, the goal here is to be able to flip over to the middle only and have something that's very tonally different than the pearly gates sound.
                            Well, then I stick by the PG - Psyclone (filtertron) - PG recommendation. No need to part from the typical humbucker format or modify the body of the guitar to get the sound you're after and Duncan makes everything you need.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              With the right pickup, the ring is magic. To know what the switches do, check out the manual.
                              LOL, no, I have that, I mean I look, play, then put it up for a few months while I'm playing something else and then can't remember the @#$# settings when I take it down again. Just like on my Gretsch. "Which one of these is the damn tone knob again?"

Comment

Working...
                              X