Talk Tele's to me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk Tele's to me!

I'm jonesing for a Tele lately. No reason.

Never really a fan - but sometimes a new shape is inspiring, or maybe the mystery of the unknown, etc....

I'm always on the lookout for a basic Natural Tele. Something like Bruce/The Boss would play. But I always thought I
    'd like a hard rock pickup in it.

So - what would you do?

Keep neck? Swap it for what?
    And add what bridge in single coil size?
    NO double Humbuckjer Tele's. Not a Tele to me.

I think a simple 59 might work great for this....
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Re: Talk Tele's to me!

You can do very heavy with fairly standard teles.

Just disconnect the tone control from the neck for less muffled tone. Maybe something less twangy than a 6k bridge if you're wanting rock......JD maybe, or a stack of some sort for noise cancelling. RATM I think was a fairly stock Tele initially.

Comment

Esquire style with a Chopper T.
      "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

I think I wound need a belly cut, and a bridge that doesn't cut into my wrist. And a better angle for the switch.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I really like my modernized Warmoth Tele. I ordered it with the forearm contour, belly cut, and contoured heel options, along with a bright metalflake finish to really set it off. The result is a body that is much nicer to play than the traditional Tele body, but still looks the part of a good ol' T-caster.

Being a rocker at heart like you, I opted for a Wilkinson tremolo bridge and a Warmoth standard "C" profile neck on mine, which is more like a Strat profile than a traditional Tele, but the guitar overall still has a very "Tele" vibe to it, especially compared to my other guitars.

For pickups, I went with a Bill Lawrence L90 (8.0H) humbucker in the bridge and a Kinman Big-Nine-O single-coil sized P-90 in the neck. If I ever swap out the bridge pickup, I'd probably go for a 4.8H or 6.0H version of the L90 just to give it a bit more spank and sparkle, but the 8.0H model has just enough heat to make a metal-head smile with all that classic Lawrence clarity on top!

If I build another Tele style guitar at some point, it'll be another fully contoured Warmoth body and standard "C" shaped neck, but with more traditional pickups, pickguard, and bridge (look at the Gotoh modern tele bridge). There's something very sexy about an overwound Tele single coil bridge pickup and that unique twang from a classic Tele neck pickup.

Comment

I just keep thinking a Tele with a lil' 59 in the bridge would just be great for "Rock"

Comment

Originally posted by TheViewFromVenus View Post
              With a series/parallel/split on the switch...I am NOT against this idea! Love the Chopper.

Comment

The Little 59, however, at 17k and a Ceramic magnet looks like a Distortion, and the EQ looks like a SuperDistortion...RAWK!

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                  The Little 59, however, at 17k and a Ceramic magnet looks like a Distortion, and the EQ looks like a SuperDistortion...RAWK!
                  Dimarzio makes a Tele version of the Super Distortion. You might want to look into that.
                  "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

I had the same itch last summer, and my god am I glad I scratched it!

I now officially love teles, even though I used to – and still kind of do – think they look ugly / derpy. I'm a higher-gain guy, so also wanted a tele that could rock.

I ended up going for a "black guard" style tele, with a bridge single coil and a neck humbucker, a la Keef Richards' Micawber. I put Duncan Quarter Pounder in the bridge, and a Gibson 490R in the neck, and I was FLOORED. The tele bridge sound with the Duncan is HUGE. It so much bite to it, and you can nail that raunchy, early Zeppelin tone, since a lot of it was recorded on a tele anyway
                    Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
                    Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
                    Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
                    Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
                    Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
                    Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
                    Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
                    Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
                    Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
                    PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

Originally posted by zizyphus View Post
                      I had the same itch last summer, and my god am I glad I scratched it!

I now officially love teles, even though I used to – and still kind of do – think they look ugly / derpy. I'm a higher-gain guy, so also wanted a tele that could rock.

I ended up going for a "black guard" style tele, with a bridge single coil and a neck humbucker, a la Keef Richards' Micawber. I put Duncan Quarter Pounder in the bridge, and a Gibson 490R in the neck, and I was FLOORED. The tele bridge sound with the Duncan is HUGE. It so much bite to it, and you can nail that raunchy, early Zeppelin tone, since a lot of it was recorded on a tele anyway
                      Funny I'm the same - bought one early last year to scratch an itch that came about for some SC bite and I've never been big on Teles.

@Aceman check out Godin Stadium 59. It's a slightly hotter bridge SC they call the Custom Cajun, it's got a 59 humbucker in the neck, a 5-way switch for more sounds and an active revoicing switch that adds a lot more snarl and snap. GREAT under gain in any setting and it can rock hella hard, but still be sweet and polite.

Plus it's got more body contours on it instead of that (IMO) boring flat slab.

Sounds to me like you want a hotrodded tele and I think this would be right up your alley!

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
                      • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                      • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                      • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                      • G&L Tribute Comanche
                      • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                      • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                      • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

I love teles, but never really liked stock tele neck pickups. I'd go Fender Twisted Tele neck (essentially a strat) pickup if you want to look "normal", a mini humbucker (my favorite), Firebird style or a full size humbucker in the neck if you want it to be a little less traditional.

Comment

Originally posted by TheViewFromVenus View Post
                          Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                          With a series/parallel/split on the switch...I am NOT against this idea! Love the Chopper.
                          I did this very thing on my Esquire build (that slowly morphed in a to a Strat build...LOL). The Broadcaster I had in it originally was nice but I needed more so I got a Rumplestiltskin Black Rope, slightly overwound. Sounded killer. After a while I was intrigued with the Chopper so I threw that in there and wired the 3-way for series/parallel/split using the Duncan diagram. That was a great setup for a single-pickup guitar. Some twang, some rawk and all in between.

The only reason I sold everything (started with the body fully loaded and later the neck) was because it would neck dive and want to go straight across where I'm more comfortable with the neck up a bit. Just about every Tele I had did that and that was number 4. While I like the basics of one, I prefer how basic I can make a Strat.

But yes, the Chopper T wired in such a fashion is a wonderful thing. You would not be disappointed.

Comment

I am a big fan of the tele and it is an itch that must be scratched! I just finished assembling a new on (warmoth neck MIM body) and have the little 59 as well as a regular 59 in the neck. I am really enjoying the combo, I mainly play clean but when I do add the gain it gives a nice full classic rock sound. My #1 tele has a twisted tele set and a 4-way switch that I just love as it is a very full sounding combo. I doubt you would regret scratching your itch.

Comment

Here's a thread about a JD tele pickup and a 'lil '59 tele pickup: https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...you-guys-think

Comment

Working...
                              X