New Guy here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Guy here.

I’m honestly don’t know what the difference is between a long leg vs short leg. I’m assuming it’s visible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You can absolutely tell the difference between short and long legs. Long legs are .550" from the baseplate, Short legs are .280".
      However, if this pickup was an OEM part, they can be ordered with all kinds of options, like long legs on a typical short-legged pickup. If that is what the company needs, SD will build that for them.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by OKC View Post
        I’m honestly don’t know what the difference is between a long leg vs short leg. I’m assuming it’s visible?

It’s the mounting legs. Original Humbuckers started out with long legs. When people started putting Humbuckers in Strats, baseplates with shorter legs were made so you didn’t have to route the body almost through the backside to fit a Humbucker on it.

Comment

Thanks for explanation on short leg and long leg, I measured it and got 3/4" to 13/16". Does everyone agree that the windings ohm out to a Custom Custom and this could be a special order?

Comment

I think Masta’C nailed it.

Comment

I was looking at https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/custom-5 and the custom 5 is actually called 'SH-14' could this be the precursor to this pickup?
              Bro, did you even read my response?

What you have IS a Custom 5, just made before the SH-14 was officially a production pickup. If the guitars were made in 2002, then this is even more likely the case, because that's around the time that the SH-14 became an official part of the SD catalog and they switched over to the more current style of labeling/stickers.

All of the "Custom" winds are the same coils, just different magnets. So, a "Custom Custom" or "CC" with an Alnico V magnet is exactly the same pickup as a "Custom 5"

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
              I think Masta’C nailed it.
              Thank you

Comment

One more question, if I may. I have a 'Duncan Custom Trembucker TB-5' in my guitar now. Are the physical dimensions of the magnets the same in a trembucker as they are in an SH pickup? if so, I would like to try the Alnico 5 magnet in this pickup. Something tells me the SH is probably going to be shorter.

Edit: These 2 pickups have close to the same name.
                1) Custom 5 = custom, custom, custom = SH-14
                2) Duncan Custom = SH-5
                Last edited by OKC; 04-28-2020, 11:39 AM.

Comment

yes, the magnets are the same size

sh5 = custom = ceramic magnet
                  sh14= c5 = custom custom custom = alnico 5 magnet
                  sh11= custom custom (cc) = alnico 2 magnet

all the same coils, just with different magnets. all three sound great depending on what you want

Comment

I sold this guitar not long ago, this one has a sticker that says TB-14, (I thought it was an SH). I have a recording of this guitar that I did with just an iPhone I may post. This pickup seems to have a lot of expression to it. It is warm but lacks the articulation that the TB-5 has.

Comment

This is the one I kept that has the TB-5 in it. Both from the same batch out of Chushin Gaki

Comment

New Guy here.

One new question; has anyone ever put an A8 in a “custom” wound pickup? Is there already a pickup with this configuration? I did a search for “A8 and Alnico 8” but nothing came up? How many different places sell magnets? Are some vendors magnets better than others? Where is the best place to purchase magnets?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

One new question; has anyone ever put an A8 in a “custom” wound pickup? Is there already a pickup with this configuration? I did a search for “A8 and Alnico 8” but nothing came up? How many different places sell magnets? Are some vendors magnets better than others? Where is the best place to purchase magnets?

Thanks in advance.

It’s referred to as the “C8” here. Lots have tried it.
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

How did it turn out? Did people like it? Where can I get the A8 magnet?

Comment

The C8 is actually an amazing sounding pup. My personal favorite of all the Customs, and is magic in an SG or SG-type guitar.
                              Originally Posted by IanBallard
                              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

New Guy here.

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                                The C8 is actually an amazing sounding pup. My personal favorite of all the Customs, and is magic in an SG or SG-type guitar.
                                Is there a huge difference in the A5 & A8? Also, I have found Magnets on eBay but who knows what you are getting on eBay. Can I get the magnet straight from SD so I know I’m getting the right magnet with SD quality?

Last edited by OKC; 05-24-2020, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X