Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: The JB "I call BS on everyone" thread

I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Default Re: The JB "I call BS on everyone" thread

Quote Originally Posted by Masta' C View Post
    Better brush up on your RATT riffs, Aceman...we need you to channel your inner DeMartini, ha ha!
    Seriously, man. That hurts....

Update: Got some serious work done on the Riot video last night. as soon as that is done (This week?) I will be moving on to this as my epic project of summer.

You can view the Riot vid first. Then I'll take comments. We'll see what happens with it after that.

In defense of Aceman's proposal, all of your "but I prefer this model over that model" area baseless unless you've done completely Double blind tests.
    Real science for Real Men! (ease up there Broomhilda, it's just a saying!)

I think Mincer should do the clean passages

I'm going to chime in just to say that I don't think that there is any "best" version of the JB. Just as there is no "best" pickup period. It depends on the person playing, the guitar, the effects/amp/ speaker(s), room, mic (if recorded), playback equipment (once again, if a recording) and ultimately, the listener's "ear".

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

I'm gonna say, that if it is 80s playing you want, then I'm out. I do what I do, and it is best to get someone else if that is what you want.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

We'll let Aceman choke out the chugs and squealies under gain

Mincer, we need you for some consistent cleans and a second set of ears

I have a Shecter Banshee ( 2013 model ) and it came stock with a JB/Jazz combo. I have another super strat with an SH-5 and a Jazz neck combo. I am not a fan of either really. I don't mind the Jazz neck pickup though. The output is really hot and it has an interesting EQ shape. It isn't my favorite sounding neck pickup, but it works well enough. I'm gonna say it, but I have a guitar with the SD performers in N & B and I prefer its sound. I also have an OLP Axis ( early 2000's model ) and its stock pickups sound great for cheap Chinese POS's. I thought based on all the rave reviews of the JB that it would be a killer sounding guitar. It just isn't. The JB is TOO dark, honky sounding, and lifeless. Can't play a damn thing clean with it and I have a universe of space between it and the strings after trying everything else I could think of. I have tried direct mounting it, raising the poles, removed the tone pot, you name it. Nothing but overly loud honk and no definition at all. Sure it does crunch and distortion all day, but it is not a well-rounded pickup. The Jazz is barely passable for me. It is very bright, which I like, but it also has a heavily scooped mid-range. The bottom end is almost too full and both of mine are right on the cusp of being too boomy. The output of the Jazz is also half the battle. They are LOUD and trying to make it match the bridge volume when balancing for clean and crunch, they almost need to be buried in the tremolo claw cavity. The SH-5 is a little more manageable of a pickup for me. Not as dark as the JB, but it has that mid-range bark they say in the marketing ads. Not honky at least, but again the output is on the verge of too much.

All that said, I guess I am finding that in my old age I have evolved into preferring lower output, clearer sounding pickups, and have been investing more in single coils lately. I used to be hugely anti single coil. Couldn't deal with the buzz and they always seemed too wirey and bright to me. Now I welcome the brightness and the clarity comes in spades. Interestingly enough, buzz doesn't seem to be a problem for me as of late. I can get more than enough gain these days without any appreciable buzz. In either case, I am on the hunt to find a replacement for the JB/Jazz set in my Banshee. I want a shredder guitar with a shredder sound, but I definitely want a guitar that will do clean and actually has some not definition. The guitar itself is amazing.

So yeah, I hope you can find all the JB's you're looking for, I woudl send you mine but I don't have a replacement for it yet. Mine is an OEM variant if that makes any difference?

This is not about the best JB for playing "Dangerous But Worth The Risk"

It is about:

#1 You think this JB or that JB sounds different
    #2 You have a preconception of which JB sounds best

My hypothesis is you can't tell them apart, and the one you think sounds best is NOT the one you pick as there best sounding.

And then you'll have to eat a big hairy moose organ. Or refuse to play, which is to admit you like thick chewy moose organ...

What if C.A.T. really spelled Dog?
    I think I took a wrong turn in Albuquerque...

As long as the test is truly defensible research, Dr. Statistics. We’re certain YouTube surely will reveal what so many actual guitar players have observed first hand, are we? Also your test pickups must have identical DCR, otherwise we know the wire gauge is different and possibly the wind. Apples to apples and all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demanic
    Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarFanatic
    I am currently using Skullcandy headphones I found in the garbage.
    I did find the DS-1 in the garbage.
    I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.

tonewood instigator

Quote Originally Posted by beaubrummels View Post
    As long as the test is truly defensible research, Dr. Statistics. We’re certain YouTube surely will reveal what so many actual guitar players have observed first hand, are we? Also your test pickups must have identical DCR, otherwise we know the wire gauge is different and possibly the wind. Apples to apples and all.
    But if your comparing different JBs, the DC will be different. I've seen older ones with specs that it would be impossible to find a current production model in. The Thrash Factor is based off one of these pickups for example.
    If I only had a dollar for every song I've sung
    every time I had to play while people sat there drunk,

Quote Originally Posted by Chistopher View Post
    But if your comparing different JBs, the DC will be different. I've seen older ones with specs that it would be impossible to find a current production model in. The Thrash Factor is based off one of these pickups for example.
    But Aces contention is they are the same. Same wind, same number of turns on the coils. If that’s true, then if the DCR is different, the wire on the bobbins must be a different thickness, causing a different resistance, potentially affecting the sound. To prove they are the same, if the old and new have the same DCR, then they have the same number of turns and same thickness of wire and should sound nearly identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demanic
    Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarFanatic
    I am currently using Skullcandy headphones I found in the garbage.
    I did find the DS-1 in the garbage.
    I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.

I have no doubts that they sound different. It is just, with the way I play, I'd never be able to tell, and wouldn't be the target audience to test such a theory.

Quote Originally Posted by beaubrummels View Post
    Also your test pickups must have identical DCR, otherwise we know the wire gauge is different and possibly the wind. Apples to apples and all.
    This isn't really feasible. Plus, differing DCR does not mean that wire gauge or turn count are necessarily different.

Pickups are generally wound to a turn count, not a specific DCR, and multiple factors can play into measurable differences in DCR...coil geometry between butyrate vs polycarbonate bobbins, winding tension, separate batches of wire (different suppliers, tolerances, coating thicknesses), etc.

The two '70s JB's I have here don't even match each other from a DCR perspective. Does that mean they are different pickups, use different gauges of wire, or sound discernibly different once in a guitar? Not necessarily.

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    I have no doubts that they sound different. It is just, with the way I play, I'd never be able to tell, and wouldn't be the target audience to test such a theory.
    Party pooper!

Does this mean we are relying on ACE for all levels of setup, production and quality assurance?

Party pooper!

Does this mean we are relying on ACE for all levels of setup, production and quality assurance?
    No. This is a JB test. Not an 80's metal test.

Party pooper!

What it means is that you ain't gonna get what most people expect from me. But I've been dealing with that my entire life.

Don't worry about Dave. He just needs to play cool ^%^%$. Some clean, some distorted, some chords, some single notes. I'll play Lay it down and In My Dreams for those that need to hear that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pep2019 View Post
    In defense of Aceman's proposal, all of your "but I prefer this model over that model" area baseless unless you've done completely Double blind tests.
    Real science for Real Men! (ease up there Broomhilda, it's just a saying!)
    Sorry, but I call BS on this. If we were to follow your logic, then nobody anywhere would be allowed to have an opinion about pickups: very few of us will have participated in double blind tests, and I can almost guarantee that nobody has been involved in a double blind test that involved guitar pickups. Besides, how would you even design such a test? What would the goal be?

My main problem with blind tests, double or not, is that there will almost always be some sort of extra pressure in such tests and so decontextualized from the way that we normally listen that I have severe doubts whether you'd get very accurate results. This is doubly so if the test involves any sort of sensory deprivation.
    Last edited by Sirion; 06-08-2020 at 04:53 AM.