Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duncan Distortion alternative

Default Duncan Distortion alternative

Hey all just registered. So I've got a Duncan Distortion set in one of the Dave Mustaine ZERO Explorers. I must say I freakin love the set, its just a touch hotter than I would like. I absolutely love the voicing, but I was wondering if there is an option that is just not quite as hot. I do alot of fast palm muting ie Iced Earth, Orden Ogan, and Testament. The Bridge pup has a great attack to it, its tight and sounds great, I'd just like it to be a littler clearer. I should mention too I'm not a fan of the JB, I know its supposed to be like the Distortion but I've never gotten along with it. Hope someone can help!

Ultimate Tone Member

Default Re: Duncan Distortion alternative

If you generally like the thing, I'd say try lowering the pickup or the gain of your amp/pedal/whatever you use and you might save yourself a couple of dollars.

Appreciate the advice but I know all that. I prefer medium and sometimes lower output pups and I prefer to let my amp do the heavy lifting. Just prefer it with how I play.

Ultimate Tone Member

Then you'll have to wait for the gurus to show up !

Tone Member

maybe try the neck pickup in the bridge. it was once the SH-7 seymourizer II

maybe „the hunter“ or dokken bucker. (duncan custom shop)

the screamin demon fits the bill for „let the amp do the heavy lifting“.
    quite a different voice though.
    Last edited by ToneFiddler; 05-31-2020 at 07:45 AM. Reason: added one more sentence

I think your options are Pegasus and Custom 5 (sh 14).

Either a Custom or Custom 5 would fit the bill.

The Custom is a good call. I had them side to side: it is clearer, briter and less grainy. In another guitar i have modded 500T (one side magnet was swapped with a wood bar): less grainy, less brite.
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Custom 5 is probably the closest, but even then, it isn't quite right. The Custom 5's bass is pretty tight and present in a different way than the Distortion.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Awesome thanks for the feedback! From those clips I really dig the Distortion with the Alnico magnets. Sounds brighter and more what my ears like.

OH THE DOUBLE THICK GLAZE! Clint 55's Avatar

The Distortions sound terrif with alnico mags.
    Turning around to the
    Next set of lies
    Wondering what will come next

I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Unfortunately, you like a particular EQ for which there is no mid-power equivalent. That I know of....

And a DD w/ an A5 is close to a JB....just sayin'. I might try the Neck in the bridge first. I'd think at ~12k it will be what you want most closely. Then, if that's a no go, try the a5 swap.

quick trick before you are fully set on a new pickup, roll back your tone pot from 10 to about 7 or 6 and add more treble on the amp, you may also roll the volume slightly too to about 8, in pickups voiced with some "grind" in the highs rolling the tone back a bit can clean them up under heavy gain as the highs will be less "busy" when palm muting and chording

Try the Distortion neck pickup in the bridge and then let us know how that goes.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Distortion neck is a great bridge pickup - as ToneFiddler mentioned, it was originally designed for bridge position.
    If it's a tad too bright there an A8 mag can mitigate the harshness nicely but it also gives a bouncier, slightly looser feel.
    For fast palm mutes IMO you're likely to prefer the ceramic.
    "My hovercraft is full of eels."

The regular custom is really your best option here. I had distortions and switched to the custom before - all documented on this site. The Custom was better for me. That said, it sounds like you really love the distortion but want to also have lower gain sounds. I'd personally suggest keeping your current guitar as is, then getting another guitar with lower gain pickups. No need to buy an expensive guitar - about $400 can get you some great guitars nowadays, even more so if you get used. It's not as cheap as a pickup swap, but I think outside of the Custom, anything else will disappoint you.

Tone Member

Have you considered a DiMarzio Evo? The EQ has some stuff going on that reminds me a lot of the Duncan Distortion, but it's clearer, a touch tighter, and not quite as hot. The Full Shred might also be an option worth looking into.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynical View Post
    Have you considered a DiMarzio Evo? The EQ has some stuff going on that reminds me a lot of the Duncan Distortion, but it's clearer, a touch tighter, and not quite as hot. The Full Shred might also be an option worth looking into.
    The Evo is more articulate (because it doesn't have the grainy treble) but it's definitely not tighter. The bass on the Evo is too boomy to handle palm muted chugging riffs like the Distortion. I recently swapped from the Evo to the Distortion and the difference in the bass response was huge.

The Evo still has the screaming upper mids. The mids overall are more vocal and less barking. It's definitely not a subtle or subdued pickup and IMO it's a bad pickup for rhythm, whereas the Distortion excels at chugging rhythms.

I wouldn't recommend it at all to someone looking for a slightly tamer Distortion.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

I'm definitely looking at the Custom. I was actually looking at an Evo but not sure. How would a Full Shred stack up for the styles I mentioned?