Blackstar HT20 h

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackstar HT20 h

Hey guys, I could use a bit of practical advice here. I'm going to be auditioning for a spot in a local cover band tomorrow and I'm hoping it all goes well. If I get in, I'd like to get a new amp that's no more than 50w, but affordable. I'm really liking the Blackstar HT20 head right now, but I'm concerned that it might not be loud enough for what I need. I'll be playing bars and pubs, and the cab is an Avatar Vintage 2x12 with V30's. Do any of you have experience with this amp, and does it have enough volume to work with a band, without having to mike it up through the PA (just in case)? Thanks in advance guys.

Re: Blackstar HT20 h

I liked the Blackstar HT20 head as well. Good tone and all, but the worker there said that it would not be powerful enough to really cut through in a band setting.
    GuitarStv: O.o

Comment

Originally posted by Jakek5150 View Post
      I liked the Blackstar HT20 head as well. Good tone and all, but the worker there said that it would not be powerful enough to really cut through in a band setting.
      Which Guitar Center was this?

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
        Which Guitar Center was this?
        lol, Sam Ash actually. I found it hard to believe, cause even if he was right, if you were to mic up the cab, then there should be no problem. I didn't buy it not because of what he said, but it just didn't have the features I wanted. Great amp though.
        GuitarStv: O.o

Comment

I've had a HT5, an HT40 combo, and currently have the HT20 head. They are all cool, but I got the HT20 because my speaker cab sounded better than the stock speaker in the combo. The 20 is a great sounding head and is cathode biased so the power amp is warmer and spongier than the 40. Is it loud enough for a band? I would think so, especially through a 2-12, but I haven't had a chance to try it. It should sound awesome through your Avatar cab.

Comment

there are times when i think its possible to gig with the ht-5 and a 1x12 mic'd up. I've yet to try it tho. So yeah i'd imagine the 20 should bring it right there.

Comment

depends how lowd the drummer is . My HT40 cuts through with no problem, and the master is set at noon.
              I'm using it with an additional 2x12 cab so 3 speakers are playing and it's loud enough ... sometimes too loud. If you don't want to dime your HT20 maybe you should consider something more powerfull. Unless You're going to mic it up.

Comment

Unless you need tons of clean headroom,I would believe that the HT-20 through an efficient Celestion Vintage 30 loaded cab would suffice.My HT-20 head through my Celestion G12H-30 loaded Lopo slant cab can get quite loud.In fact,I remember the Guitar Player Magazine review were the reviewer said that he didn't even have to mic the Blackstar HT-20 head/cab for a medium size club gig.And that was with the much less efficient Celestion Rocket 50 loaded Blackstar cab.Like devastone stated,the cathode biased HT-20 is going to give up a warmer and spongier tone/response than the somewhat punchier tone and feel of the true Class A/B HT-40.

Ed

Comment

I Agree. I've been using HT40 in small clubs without additional cab and it was enough on 40% of volume.

My friend has HT20 and they sound a bit different. But i prefer HT40 since it seem a bit tighter. On the other hand my friend said he prefer his amp. But this one is a matter of taste.

Comment

Working...
                  X