turbo rat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: turbo rat

Yeah the turbo rat just seems completely untameable to me and even at lowest gain settings, seems to have too much gain. I'd say go after a rat 2 or preferably an original rat or a byoc of an original. personally for fuzz like tone I use a Danelectro Fab Tone, and while it took some time to dial in a setting properly, it sounds good for the 0.9% of the time that I use it
    Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
    It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
      That's what I was talking about. Obnoxious, isn't it?
      If they made a pedal that sounded just like the rat 2, but didn't do that, I would be a happy man.
      "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
        Everytime I hear a guy mention that a Rat has that wild "cutting in and out/spitting" effect I wonder why he has the gain up that far!

FWIW, the Turbo rat does that too...
        Ha ha, I run the thing with all the knobs fully clockwise! Into a JMP with a dimed preamp and the master volume around 7. Almost everyone on this forum would totally hate my tone.

Comment

Yeah, coz it definitely wouldn't make sense for them to make a pedal that works right

The problem is NOT with the user, but with a manufacturer who can't even put out a pedal that works properly.
          Easy hoss...I didn't say anything about you guys using it wrong...

The truth is this, a Rat only does that with the gain turned up pretty high, low tunings, hot pickups and a very heavy picking hand do make it worse...I would imagine that in the late 70's when the Rat was designed that they never thought that anyone would plug in a guitar with a 16k+ ceramic pickup that was tuned down a full step or more and turn the distortion control up to 3/4 or more....

It's not a problem with the pedal...the pedal works just fine but it is not a do all type of unit, if you don;t like it don't use it
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

So tuning down to F sharp and using a custom custom might not be helping matters then? Ha ha. Problem is, I do like the pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
              Easy hoss...I didn't say anything about you guys using it wrong...

The truth is this, a Rat only does that with the gain turned up pretty high, low tunings, hot pickups and a very heavy picking hand do make it worse...I would imagine that in the late 70's when the Rat was designed that they never thought that anyone would plug in a guitar with a 16k+ ceramic pickup that was tuned down a full step or more and turn the distortion control up to 3/4 or more....

It's not a problem with the pedal...the pedal works just fine but it is not a do all type of unit, if you don;t like it don't use it
              Well..... I agree that it does all that under the conditions you described, but it also did that with a PAF loaded LP, a 70's Strat, and 69 Mustang, all strung up with light strings, in standard tuning.

If they didn't expect people to dime the gain, why'd they make that much available?
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by Kyuss_Rock View Post
                So tuning down to F sharp and using a custom custom might not be helping matters then? Ha ha. Problem is, I do like the pedal.
                F#???

ha, I'll ahve to tune it up to f# if I get a 22.5" scale on this duo sonic, just to get it intonate better.
                Originally posted by kilphody
                There is no such thing as useless knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by cream123 View Post
                  F#???
                  Helps the bowel movements.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyuss_Rock View Post
                    Helps the bowel movements.
                    Dropping the bottom string an octave lower than the 5th string (or 6th, if you're on a 7 string) sounds way better than any octave pedal, too.
                    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Dropping the bottom string an octave lower than the 5th string (or 6th, if you're on a 7 string) sounds way better than any octave pedal, too.
                      Totally. It sounds ok with my whammy, but it doesn't track properly that low, so I just dropped it to F sharp because I was down a step and a half at the time, suddenly the heaviness I had been lusting for was right there. Save for the spluttering rat.

Comment

Owned both the Rat & Turbo Rat pedal and the regular ProCo Rat sounds a bit better to me. Either is a great distortion pedal though.

Comment

On occasion I'll play in C std and it sounds amazing but F#, holy crap
                          Originally posted by kilphody
                          There is no such thing as useless knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                          X