Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 5E3 Delux vs. Marshall 18 watt: Opinions

Originally posted by Luke Duke View Post
    Having owned a 66 I know what you mean, but a 66 is, tonally speaking, more in line with a JTM45 than an 18 watter. The 18 watter will never have those kinds of lows and low mids.
    oh cool! why haven't you shared the joy in all my recent Z threads? I just discovered them!

I can see where you are coming from but a Ghia has less sag and doesn't do the "end-of-the-world/explod-o tone" that a deluxe does. The Ghia keeps it pulled together and tighter. I mean it is based off a Hammond organ amp.
    was just reading about the Hammand bases myself! ha, cool! we should be rappin more! And I actually agree with everything you're saying.

As long as you're happy who cares what anyone else thinks? I just wanted to put in a few points because some guys have to buy sight unseen/unplayed due to geography and if they got either Z expecting a "dead nuts copy" they'd have been disappointed.

Luke

definitely not "copies" of anything. I landed on them and the universe commanded me to break out the wallet, because with one or two Zs I found I could have a lot of the properties of these other amps we are talking about, plus, their own special mojo, all bang for buck.

hard to believe these Zs used to sell for only $450 new.
    tele / wolfie
    pittbull 50cl
    greenbacks

Comment

Originally posted by PVFan View Post
      oh cool! why haven't you shared the joy in all my recent Z threads? I just discovered them!
      I've owned a Maz 18 reverb with 2x10s, a Rt 66 with Z-Best cab, and an early Galaxie.

Two big reasons I don't talk about them all the time:

1: I hate to feel like I beating a drum I've beat to death
      2: I don't have my 66 any more and just talking about them makes me angry

was just reading about the Hammand bases myself! ha, cool! we should be rappin more! And I actually agree with everything you're saying.
      Zaite thinks outside of the box. That's why I respect, and he was the only builder out there that Ken Fischer respected and bounced ideas off of.

definitely not "copies" of anything. I landed on them and the universe commanded me to break out the wallet, because with one or two Zs I found I could have a lot of the properties of these other amps we are talking about, plus, their own special mojo, all bang for buck.

hard to believe these Zs used to sell for only $450 new.
      Definitely not copies, and that's all I wanted to convey.

I'd have loved to have bought a 66 for cheap years ago. The one I sold was signed by Mike....at the time I dumped it I thought a Fuchs Train 45 was "the" answer to all my problems........I was wrong. Next Z I buy will be a 66 or 28...gotta play a 28, but I've heard they're a little more mid focused so I'd like to try that.

Luke
      “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

don't forget the Z Wreck!

...there's a used, original Maz down there (not a GT, not a Sr., not a Jr. -- just a plain ol' Mazerati. Hmmm.)

and because of this thread I played that Fender 57 again at lunch. The price on that has come down $2000 from $4000 and I might just hustle that sumb!tch (only 300 made).

I think forum bro TimmyPage needs a Route 66 for what he's doing! That would be ouitta sight
        tele / wolfie
        pittbull 50cl
        greenbacks

Comment

a Ghia has less sag and doesn't do the "end-of-the-world/explod-o tone" that a deluxe does. The Ghia keeps it pulled together and tighter. I mean it is based off a Hammond organ amp.
          as I mentioned, mostly because of that right there, at lunch yesterday I went and played that Fender '57 5e3 w/ Celestion Blue.

during, with a beefy guitar I got the explode-o-rama tone happening, and I took mental sonographs. Little snapshots of the event.

went home later.

fired up the Carmen and grabbed my #1.

I was not left wanting and by God, Jim, I have never had more fun playing.

in like a month, I am a COMPLETELY different guitar player

may get that 5e3 anyway though, or a Richter/Mission/Clark/etc., because as we agree it's not *exactly* the same thing ... and that "thing" is great, too ....
          tele / wolfie
          pittbull 50cl
          greenbacks

Comment

I build (and own) a modded 18 watter (first channel is just vol and tone) plexi cleans to plexi gain and the second is a master volume TMB channel that is along the lines of a modded JCM 800. there's plenty of bass and not too much highs (which can be a problem with the originals as noted. They're a pleasure to build and from bedroom to small venue it is the embodiment of that marshall rock and roll sound. the cleans are chimey (not all the way into vox land) but very full. Good luck with your search. Feel free to email or PM if you have questions.
            Custom Guitar Builder - PM me if you're interested.
            Check out the new website and see the progress of felow forumites' guitars
            www.gaugeguitars.com
            Cheers!

Comment

Here's your 5E3 endorsement: http://listen.grooveshark.com/s/Cortez_The_Killer/bCiEl

If you can listen to that, and not want one, even if just a little bit, you are crazy.
              my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Working...
              X