experience with Eurotubes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• experience with Eurotubes?

I'm planning to retube my engl Thunder 50 (4 12ax7 & 2 5881) because it doesn't sound good. I play mainly metal with some funky rhythms in between. So having a smooth defined distortion with nice cleans channel is my goal.
    Eurotubes only suggest/sell JJ tubes. Has someone experience using only JJ tubes in their amps? Will it be too dark sounding? Any suggestion will be appreciated.

my setup:
    - ESP Horizon with JB and 59' pickups
    - Tc Electronic G-major
    - Engl Thunder 50 E 322

Re: experience with Eurotubes?

JJ tubes, (and Bob at Eurotubes), are great, but they don't sound great in EVERY amp- They make my Marshall sound like a Marshall, but, they don't sound so good in my Princeton Reverb.
    Tubes are a personal preference thing, and a lot of us here choose different brands of preamp tubes, even in the same amp, sorta mix and match, until you hit upon the right combination.
    Just about any other preamp tube will do better than the stock sovtek's that come in most amps.
    And, changing tubes usually doesn't make a really dramatic difference, usually, it's more subtle, and kinda' like fine-tuning your tone. You might want to look into changing speakers first- that will usually make more a difference than tubes.
    " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

What brand of tubes do you have in there now? the Engl site says they use Ecc83, which, I believe IS a JJ tube. correct if I'm wrong-
      " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

Originally posted by marvar View Post
        What brand of tubes do you have in there now? the Engl site says they use Ecc83, which, I believe IS a JJ tube. correct if I'm wrong-
        My amp has in V1 a no-brand tube, V2-V4 Engl tubes, and 2 Sovtek 5881 tubes. I don't know if Engl tubes are JJ tubes. I will check first what happen only changing the V1 tube.

Comment

I like Bob. He's a good guy. But he only sells JJ. It's the equivalent of driving up to a Shell gas station and asking them which brand of gasoline is going to help your car run the smoothest.

What's he going to say?

Now all that being said, I love JJ tubes in certain amps. But I have no experience with ENGL.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

I agree with most of what has been said here. Bob is a good guy but sells ONLY JJ. I have had good luck with JJ power tubes but LOATH the pre amp tubes. Dark dull and lifeless in everything I have tried them in so far.
            My advice is to talk to someone who sells a variety of different brands like Doug Preston with http://www.dougstubes.com/
            If you do decide to go straight JJ Bob is great but you need to decide for yourself if that is the way you want to go.
            Guitars
            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

B2D turn me on to him.
              Eurotubes is very cool and will help you out. I've called him and emailed him questions.
              Very friendly and down to earth.
              Originally posted by Vincent Vespa
              Dirtbag is only half full of dirt. There rest of him is full of awesome.
              I'm as happy as a Tornado in a trailer park!! \m/

Guitar: Fender American Special Mahogany HSS Strat
              Charvel 275DX (Single coil Custom JB, Lil'59 in neck)
              Fender Std Fat Strat MIM (Crazy8 in the bridge, Lil'59 in neck)
              Amp: Line6 Spider2-30 watt
              Lil 5 Watter from Hell AX84 Hi-Octane
              Effects: Boss SD-1 DIY TS9 on Steroids MOD

Comment

another 2 cents. Bob is a great guy! Id love to continue to do biz with him.. I got tubes for my Classic 30 from him and the amp was much better. However, Im curious to know how other brands would work in my amps..
                Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I haven't bought tubes from anyone other than Bob. My Peavey sounds better than it did off the shelf .... and that's with JJs in the preamp as well.
                  I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Scott is right about this. What would a JJ salesman tell you is best? You guessed it...JJ. LOL But there's nothing wrong with them, because they're probably the best tube for the least amount of money, and a very good buy. I love JJ power tubes.

But, like Ascension said, the pre's aren't that great. If you really want to do the right thing, buy a set of JJ power tubes, but get Tungsol or Sovtek LPS pre tubes. I've used those tube sets in numerous amps and am always happy.
                    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Very nice guy. I bought a set of tubes for my Mesa Blue angel (5 12ax7s, 2 6v6s, 4 EL84s) and absolutely hated them though.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Bob was very helpful in helping me select a set of power tubes for my Bogner. He shipped them the same day I ordered them and thanked me for my business... cool guy to deal with.

I happen to like JJ power tubes, so I'm good there.

Comment

www.thetubestore.com has great objective reviews on a whole mess of different brands. Have a read to get a pretty good idea of what's out there.
                          www.lockwireguitars.com

Comment

I only use JJ tubes. 12ax7's and 6l6's.
                            I have also used sovtek 6l6gc's, 5881's, and the 12ax7LPS.

I just prefer the JJ's for reliability and tone. Some people find them dark, this might be a good thing in an amp that can get too bright. If you're already running it in a dark sounding amp, I could see it not being the best.

Comment

JJ preamp tubes cleaned up my boogie's dirt channel, less white noise. They performed well and I don't like a lot of high end so they are a good fit for me.

I use JJ power tubes also and have found them to be reliable.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X