i need help fixing my ds-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i need help fixing my ds-1

as you may or may not know, i tried to mod my ds-1 a while back and ended up killing it. or so i thought... anyways, i found a wire that i broke and need to know where it goes. it's a yellow wire at the top of the board coming from a spot simply labeled "14". i'm assuming it goes to either the input or output jack, but i'm not sure as none of the connections look like they have a wire ripped out of them. here's a pic(sorry for the cell phone quality):

any help's alway's appreciated
    Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
    ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Re: i need help fixing my ds-1

Originally posted by super rad stuff View Post
    as you may or may not know, i tried to mod my ds-1 a while back and ended up killing it. or so i thought... anyways, i found a wire that i broke and need to know where it goes. it's a yellow wire at the top of the board coming from a spot simply labeled "14". i'm assuming it goes to either the input or output jack, but i'm not sure as none of the connections look like they have a wire ripped out of them. here's a pic(sorry for the cell phone quality):

any help's alway's appreciated

The other side of wire/Pin 14 goes over to the input jack....

Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

thanks! well, now it seems like the pedal is giving some sort of output. when i turn the distortion and tone knobs up i hear "distortion static" coming through the amp, but there's no signal going through the pedal from the guitar. any idea what it could be?
      Yo, i'm Ryan™.

Comment

thanks! well, now it seems like the pedal is giving some sort of output. when i turn the distortion and tone knobs up i hear "distortion static" coming through the amp, but there's no signal going through the pedal from the guitar. any idea what it could be?
        Did you replace any of the distortion diodes? Recheck those,re-check your wiring and soldered connections...Make sure you didn't bridge solder across components..Modding isn't as easy as you think..... ;o)
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

it's about 4am and i just got around to it i had a bunch of cold joints, not surprising as i was feeling overwhelmed by the amount of modding i was attempting and trying to get it done quickly, not to mention i was using my small chisel tip iron rather than my pencil tip iron. definitely a recipe for screw ups! but i got it done. thanks for the help mike, and thanks to ErikH for having the mods on his webpage
          Yo, i'm Ryan™.

Comment

it's about 4am and i just got around to it i had a bunch of cold joints, not surprising as i was feeling overwhelmed by the amount of modding i was attempting and trying to get it done quickly, not to mention i was using my small chisel tip iron rather than my pencil tip iron. definitely a recipe for screw ups! but i got it done. thanks for the help mike, and thanks to ErikH for having the mods on his webpage
            You really have to take your time when modding any pedal...It's worth it in the end,as you found out...Sometimes you can spend more time trouble shooting a created problem than actually modding the pedal...I'm John,not sure if I just wasn't mentioned,or if you thought I was someone else? LOL

Glad you got if figured out.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
              You really have to take your time when modding any pedal...It's worth it in the end,as you found out...Sometimes you can spend more time trouble shooting a created problem than actually modding the pedal...I'm John,not sure if I just wasn't mentioned,or if you thought I was someone else? LOL

Glad you got if figured out.
              john spina, the (in)famous pedal modder right?

edit: whoops, i didn't even realize i called you mike
              Yo, i'm Ryan™.

Comment

john spina, the (in)famous pedal modder right?

edit: whoops, i didn't even realize i called you mike
                Not sure about the "infamous" part,but yes you might have called me Mike? ;o)

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
                  You really have to take your time when modding any pedal...It's worth it in the end,as you found out...Sometimes you can spend more time trouble shooting a created problem than actually modding the pedal...
                  I learned this the hard way with the first major mod I did. Even though it's a GIANT PITA, it really is best to hook it up after each component change and make sure it's still working. I resorted to just turning it on, but that wasn't good enough. I had a short between the pots, so the power would turn on, but all the signal was being routed right past the clipping circuit.

It took me at least six hours to figure that out. Eventually, I resorted to electrical-taping all the exposed metal.

Comment

Working...
                  X