Thomas Organ Wah Score!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thomas Organ Wah Score!

Ah that was those before they went with that plastic housing.....
    Heh ok says the same in the description

Comment

Originally posted by RickyduRock View Post
      Really awesome site. Lots of good information. I'm starting to think they are really 70's (lol). The next thing I'll do is to sand off some metal from the back to make the range wider.

Strat,
      What is your wah serial number, lets compare.
      Wah just got here.....Thinkin it's from 1971 looking at the serial number...

Number is 1918309....

Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 04-21-2010, 10:40 AM.
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Here's mine.

Serial number: 1968585
        If you took the 3rd digit as year number, this one is from 76.

Comment

Here's mine.

Serial number: 1968585
          If you took the 3rd digit as year number, this one is from 76.

I went by the first number,as I've seen some that start with a 2...

Looks like you went with a 100k to the inductor,changed your trannies,true bypass dpdt switch and also the 4.7 mfd cap.
          Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 04-23-2010, 04:30 AM.
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Yes, with BC109B and it's massive amount of BASS, 100k in that position is mandatory to balance the sweep.

Comment

Yes, with BC109B and it's massive amount of BASS, 100k in that position is mandatory to balance the sweep.
              I actually like the 68k to the inductor,but I use a trim pot on the board and adjust if I feel the need...I Like the BC 109Bs but the stock 5117s are keepers on these wahs! Do you not tweak the gain resistor that goes over to Q1?

Comment

If you decide to sell it John.... keep me in mind. I can always use another great Wah!
                "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
                  I actually like the 68k to the inductor,but I use a trim pot on the board and adjust if I feel the need...I Like the BC 109Bs but the stock 5117s are keepers on these wahs! Do you not tweak the gain resistor that goes over to Q1?
                  I was afraid to work too much on resistors because this is a endless path. I would always caught myself thinking how "that" value would sound like and it should make me crazy. LOL!
                  I tought that was better to stick 2 good trannys and that's it.
                  The hfe of those BC109Bs were around 530hfe while 5117s were 190hfe. A pretty big difference.

Comment

I was afraid to work too much on resistors because this is a endless path. I would always caught myself thinking how "that" value would sound like and it should make me crazy. LOL!
                    I tought that was better to stick 2 good trannys and that's it.
                    The hfe of those BC109Bs were around 530hfe while 5117s were 190hfe. A pretty big difference.
                    I prefer to stay with the lower gain trannies and then tweak the gain to Q1..I also do you use the BC109Bs and have modded "alot" of wahs! Quite a few forum members on here have wahs I've modded...Had to stop modding pedals,as it was getting to be a bit of a burden after awhile..

Stick a 1k trim pot in place of the gain resistor and adjust the trimmer until you find the gain/tone you like...Once you've found the sweet spot,leave it there...I Like settings between 330 ohms and around 410 or so...Every wah is slightly different...The Vox 847 is a whole different sounding wah to me,compared to a Thomas Organ CB..

If you decide on a 100k trimmer to the inductor,you'll have to take your trimmer measurements before you connect it to the inductor...The inductor will totally throw off your resistance readings...The common Q resistances are 33k....68k....and 100k.I make little permanent marker marks along the trim pot so I can dial in these resistance readings whenever I want..
                    Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 04-23-2010, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave View Post
                      If you decide to sell it John.... keep me in mind. I can always use another great Wah!
                      LOL.....The idea of getting another Thomas Organ wah,is because I made the mistake of selling the other one I had...This is going to be either a primary wah for awhile or a backup...I'm in the process of dialing this CB in and so haven't listened to it yet....Joe's wah sounded great and so first I'll try it with the stock TDK 5103...I have other inductors I can try,but I need to come up with an easy way that will allow me to just pop 1 inductor out,and pop another 1 in it's place w/o the soldering and un-soldering involved...

Maybe even a dual inductor,but I don't want to drill any holes into this wah.

Comment

Working...
                      X