No announcement yet.

Gonna jump into the modern amp arena.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gonna jump into the modern amp arena.

I hate to be "that guy," but give a Fender Bandmaster VM a listen. It's the same as the Deluxe VM, only in a head form.

A Bandmaster VM will go from perfect Fender clean to JCM 800 tones to modern, tight, aggressive tones, but with warmth and fullness.

They amaze me. First time I heard one, I literally could not believe that I was hearing what I was hearing from one amp.

It seems like everyone wants Fender cleans and British to modern drive tones, but when you set it down in front of them, they start to backpedal. What is it with you people?!

Last edited by ImmortalSix; 04-26-2010, 07:42 AM.
    my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Originally posted by karpathion View Post
      All the tube amps I have ever owned, have been classic sounding amps.
      I have never owned a modern, high gain amp.
      The worst part of this, is I play modern music. I have relied on pedals to get my gain/distortion.
      No more! I'm selling my Blackheart, with matching 2x12 cabs and my distortion pedals. I am not only doing this to fund the purchase, but also to make me get away from them.
      My budget is $700-$800. I have done my research and studied the players tones, who I like best. I believe I am going Randall.
      I don't want a used amp. I want a new one. And from what I see I"m going for this one.

Shop the best selection of popular guitars: ✅ guaranteed low price, ✅ free shipping, ✅ 0% financing, ✅ 8% back in rewards.

If you guys know of anything else in this price range, let me know please.
      I may be ordering tonight!
      Carvin V3 may be worth a look.

Comment

You know, if you are really set on Randall, take a look at the V2 or the T2. I saw a real nice T2 going around here for around $500, even though I know you want a new head. I don't think a sledgehammer could destroy one of those heads, so if you can get over your OCD, it may be worth a look.

Comment

Originally posted by karpathion View Post
          Thats actually a funny story.
          Dude, I grew up in trailor parks and projects. I had no money as a kid.
          My first guitar was a hand me down from my uncle. It was a very used Cort, Effector. Up untill about 4 years ago, I had never owned a piece of gear that didn't come from a pawn shop or a flea market. I learned the craft on beat up second hand gear. I played in bands for years with some of the crappiest cheapest gear you could imagine.
          It gave me a complex.
          Well, I happened to have made a few life choices that helped me out of the poverty level, and since then I just feel I don't have to buy what I can get anymore, but what I want. It's like an O.C.D.
          I will still buy something used, If it's something really cool that you can't buy new, but thats a rarity these days.
          I'm not snobbish about it, like some folks I have met. I just have a thing about new gear.
          I really hope you get a little chuckle out of this. It is kinda funny.
          I can understand that. I totally, totally can.

With that said, for 800$, you could score a Mesa Express 5:25 of 5:50, which has a wicked, monstrous ''Burn'' Channel that will do metal really, really well. I use to have one, and the distortion was a little 2 modern for my taste, but man was it a versatile, sweet sounding amp. Loved it.

Food for thought.
          - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post
            I hate to be "that guy," but give a Fender Bandmaster VM a listen. It's the same as the Deluxe VM, only in a head form.

A Bandmaster VM will go from perfect Fender clean to JCM 800 tones to modern, tight, aggressive tones, but with warmth and fullness.

They amaze me. First time I heard one, I literally could not believe that I was hearing what I was hearing from one amp.

It seems like everyone wants Fender cleans and British to modern drive tones, but when you set it down in front of them, they start to backpedal. What is it with you people?!

i've been wanting one of these Fender VM amps for a while... they are fun amps...

Comment

LOL! Greg Koch is hilarious.

Karpathion, I fully stand by your reason for wanting a brand new piece of gear that belongs to you and only you. BUT, I think when it comes to amps you might want to think about going used. I say this only because sticking to brand new means you're ignoring a large slice of the pie: those great amps that are upwards of $1000 new, but sold used on eBay and Craigslist right in your price range.

If you want modern and are looking at Randall, I'll echo the suggestion for the RM series with the switchable modules. The only pitfall there is you'll need to spend ~$100 for each additional module you want, possibly less if you look in the right places.

If you want to look outside the realm of Randall at some tried and true modern tones, definitely look at the Peavey 5150/6505, the Carvin V3, or even a Mesa Single (or Dual given a deal) Recto.

I'm pleased to see modern tones have snagged another from the world of vintage-y goodness.
              • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
              • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
              • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
              • G&L Tribute Comanche
              • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
              • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
              • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Just sold my '88 Jackson. I'm halfway there.

Comment

Working...
                X