Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out with the Plexi -

And in with THIS!

Marshall JMP 2203 model. Chassis is dated 6/7/1978. 32-year old fire-breathing animal.

It's been modded with a 2nd Master Volume by Lee Jackson, and the pot on the back is a push-pull so I can take the mod out of the circuit should I desire. There's also a 2nd pilot light on the face, but otherwise it's original.

Long story short, the 50W Plexi reissue was cool, and if I was playing classic rock from the 60's that would have been THE amp for me. But as it happened, i needed more muscle, headroom, power, and a slightly meaner voice overall while still retaining a classic vibe.

Searched Craigslist on a whim and found this up for sale. After some negotiations and a demo, I straight-across traded the guy this for my Plexi RI. Didn't spend a dime out of pocket.

This is of the better JMP's I've played. Mean, chunky, defined, and aggressive yet smooth. Classic 70's Marshall, need I say more?

Spent about 30 minutes demoing the amp vs. my Plexi before taking it home. Can't wait to fire this thing up in rehearsal!

I'm used old JMP's before as rentals and I've always gotten killer tones out of them, especially with OD pedals. And since I've always regretted selling my '82 JCM800 2204, I guess this is kind of a return for me.

I'm stoked.
    Last edited by B2D; 08-13-2010, 01:26 AM.

Re: Out with the Plexi -

You lost me on the "classic 70's" haha

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
      You lost me on the "classic 70's" haha
      Classic to ME, anyways.

Comment

Hehe looks like one of those 80's horrors....
        Got yourself a slightly louder amp...

Comment

A mate has one like that, and I've always enjoyed using it. Having once owned an 800 like you did, I understand your excitement...congrats!!

Comment

Great amp! I used to own a 78 JMP and I regret getting rid of it. I just wanted to point out to you that it has also had an extra pre amp tube installed in it. These babies stock have 3 pre amp tubes and 4 power tubes.
            "Do you think the bass is taking away from the vocals?" Dirk Diggler

Comment

Originally posted by mrfunnyman View Post
              I just wanted to point out to you that it has also had an extra pre amp tube installed in it.
              The spacing on those preamp tubes does look closer than I'm used to seeing. And from my recollection of the schematic of the 2203, you're right.

Awesome score, though. I'd love to give that a whirl.
              Last edited by misterwhizzy; 08-13-2010, 11:26 AM.

Comment

It also looks like the original output transformer has been swapped out for something that has similar dimensions to one from a Fender Twin...it might be prudent to check and see if it has all of the necessary taps and not just a 4 ohm one.
                Now operating part time: Glassman Tube Amps...repairs, rebuilds, restorations & modifications of tube equipment.

Still building: GlassMan Amplifiers (25 watt, all tube, single channel w/reverb, single 12" combo) and some more designs in the works.

Located in Fort Wayne, IN

Note: I've "parked" my website in case anyone has been looking for it. I moved locations and haven't updated the site to reflect this.

Comment

A touch of messy tinkering, have you opened her up to see the guts?
                  ]
                  FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
                  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

looks dodgy..i'd pass

Comment

Wow, everyone's an amp tech it seems.

Brenda, if it sounds and plays great, who cares what's been done to it? It's lasted this long.
                      Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                      Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                      Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

^That is why....old crap back then....not getting any better with age.

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
                          Wow, everyone's an amp tech it seems.

Brenda, if it sounds and plays great, who cares what's been done to it? It's lasted this long.
                          Mix and match iron, oddly placed preamp additions, should raise some reasonable and perhaps serious concerns. Is there epoxy over the circuit to hide the secret recipe mod? Is it a 4 ohm head now, because of the OT switch?
                          ]
                          FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
                          http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

Admittedly, I did not open the amp up before purchasing. The 2nd pre tube seems to be involved with the 2nd Master Volume mod.

The transformers don't look new... the small one has a 6/78 date on it and the other two have ID stickers that look just like the ones other JMPs that came out that year.

When it comes to old Marshalls, I find that they vary a lot from one to the other, so I make sure I play each one I come across at full volume for at least 15 minutes to get the real feel of it. With the second MV not engaged, it sounds and feels like I would expect and hope a JMP to sound. I'm happy with it.
                            Last edited by B2D; 08-13-2010, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kevlar3000 View Post
                              Is it a 4 ohm head now, because of the OT switch?
                              No, the selector still works as it should.

Comment

Working...
                              X