I've made a 180 on Tung-Sol...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've made a 180 on Tung-Sol...

So I just got a new set of preamp tubes from Doug's Tubes, and one of them was a Tung-Sol 12AX7 high gain. Another was a JJ ECC803S, which went straight into V2. That helped a little bit, made the amp a little bit darker and smoother, with less harshness that the Mullard in there before may have been contributing to. Then I got the Tung-Sol into V1.

Holy cow. I had read about people saying, "This is the tube to put into V1" or "This is hands down the best current production preamp tube." I had a Tung-Sol in there before that I had gotten from Tube Depot, but it has harsh highs and no better voice than any other of the half a dozen or so other preamp tubes I tried. Somehow this one is bigger, rounder, quieter, and higher gain all at the same time.

The next time you go preamp shopping, do yourself a favor and pick one of these up. It's well worth the $15, especially when someone is doing proper screening for you. I swear my amp is starting to sound like the tones I hear on recordings. My playing's not, but tubes aren't going to solve any of those problems.

Re: I've made a 180 on Tung-Sol...

I liked the Tung Sol tubes in my Pro Jr but in my Frenzal only NOS tubes sounded decent its all amp specific but everyone should try Tung Sols especially for a bolder bright clean tone.
    Gondola Kid
    Bandcamp
    Facebook
    JimijaymesGuitarist
    Youtube

Comment

FWIW, Lord Valve speaks very highly of this tube.
      "music heals"
      facebook

Comment

I like them as well, but I personally have had spotty reliability with them. Now granted my last purchase was 2 years ago so maybe they have gotten better, but I have had 2 or 3 DOAs right out of the box. Once I got some good ones I have really enjoyed them.
        I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Comment

I like how they sound too, and/but I have had problems with them as well. At least three didn't last a week in V1 of my Jubilee amps, before going to a bad hum, although they lasted longer than EH 12AX7s in those amps. Metro Amps also warns people to avoid using the Tung-Sol in V2 of a Plexi.

They seem to work fine and sound fine in V1 of a NMV amp but I would be careful in amps that drive V1 hard like a Jubilee.

Comment

Out of all the current production pre tubes, I like the Tungsol and Sovtek 12AX7LPS the best.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
              Out of all the current production pre tubes, I like the Tungsol and Sovtek 12AX7LPS the best.
              Have you tried the Mullard? I tend to group them up there with the Tung-Sol and the Sovtek 12AX7LPS. I needed something darker in V2, I decided, because I was getting some harsh high end. The JJ ECC803S seems to work better than the ECC83 for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Curly View Post
                FWIW, Lord Valve speaks very highly of this tube.
                I've lost faith in old LV as of late. He sold me some rectifier tubes that were not what he claimed. I pressed him on it prior to payment. I'm done with him.

That said, I like this tung sol reissue a lot.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

I use a Tung-Sol in V-1 of my Bogner Ecstasy. Love it!!!
                  Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
                  "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

I just ordered some of my favorite preamp tubes for the JSX head I have on the way. I'll be throwing one of the Tung Sol Reissues in V1, JJECC83 in V2 and V3, and a Sovtek 12AX7LPS in the PI. Looking forward to it!
                    After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by FretFire View Post
                      I just ordered some of my favorite preamp tubes for the JSX head I have on the way. I'll be throwing one of the Tung Sol Reissues in V1, JJECC83 in V2 and V3, and a Sovtek 12AX7LPS in the PI. Looking forward to it!
                      I guess you already ordered them, huh? I happen to think the JJ ECC803 is superior to the short plate ECC83. I compared them in V2 of my amp, and the ECC803 had a bit more character overall, letting the tonality of V1 shine through a little better. It killed off a little brightness, but that's what I was going for anyway. Other than that (and the lack of a V3), that's the same preamp complement I have.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                        I guess you already ordered them, huh? I happen to think the JJ ECC803 is superior to the short plate ECC83. I compared them in V2 of my amp, and the ECC803 had a bit more character overall, letting the tonality of V1 shine through a little better. It killed off a little brightness, but that's what I was going for anyway. Other than that (and the lack of a V3), that's the same preamp complement I have.
                        I've never tried the long plate version, but may have to based on your description. I have a feeling I'll wind up running KT77 power tubes in this amp, so I might have to get a couple of the ECC803 to try when/if I order those.
                        After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

Working...
                        X