Learned something new today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learned something new today

Not a big deal, and probably common knowledge to many of you already, but I didn't realize Ruby tubes were relabels. I just got the set of preamp tubes I ordered for my inbound JSX, and thought my order was wrong when I saw two Ruby Tubes boxes instead of the JJ boxes I expected. Then I opened the box and saw they were in fact JJ ECC83S tubes, with a "Ruby HG" sticker opposite the JJ logo. New brain wrinkle!

Those tubes will be surrounded by a Tung Sol RI in V1, and a Sovtek 12AX7LPS in the PI. I may eventually try the long plate ECC803S in the middle two spots, we'll see how the short plates strike me.
    After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Re: Learned something new today

Many people do not realize that there are not all that many vacuum tube factories in the world.

Mesa Boogie does not make tubes.

Groove Tubes does not make tubes (with the exception of their new 6L6GE which will be coming out in the next few months, which is in BETA test
    now in a few cases.

Ruby does not make tubes.

The major factories are:

Reflector in Moscow .... makers of Sovtek and Electro Harmonix tubes.

Svetlana in St. Petersburg ... makers of Svetlana

JJ / Tesla in Prague .... makers of Tesla, and they were the OEM in the past for Siemens, Mullard, and Telefunken in many cases.

Sino in China ... which is a group of a number of tube factories in China
    " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

Re: Learned something new today

I think the current production Tung-Sols and Mullards are made in the Reflektor plant as well. I would argue the Tung-Sol and Sovtek LPS are the best sounding new production preamp tubes, so maybe that's the best factory in the world for 12AX7s.

Comment

Working...
      X