Pedals to add a little clarity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedals to add a little clarity

Ok, I'm not sure if "clarity" is really the right word...maybe brightness...or a combination of the two. I have a Blackstar HT-5 which I love overall but I find the clean channel a little bit lifeless (I wish it had a presence control) and I've found that I can really brighten/clear it up with my Tech21 Liverpool. So I really like the clean tones I can get when running the Liverpool into the HT-5, but I find that things don't always get along when running other pedals like my Big Muff Pi or using the line out on the HT-5 along with the Liverpool. I wish that the Liverpool had a way of disabling the speaker emulation...I think that having speaker emulation there and then having the speaker emulation on the HT-5's line out can cause poor tone output.

Do you guys have any suggestions on other pedals that would help me get a little more chime/clarity/brightness out of the clean channel without causing issues with other settings? I'm thinking perhaps some sort of transparent overdrive like the Timmy (or Dano TOD), a boost, or maybe an EQ?

Thanks!

Re: Pedals to add a little clarity

Timmy would be an excellent choice...very versatile eq section!
    Originally posted by jeremy
    God hates bad guitar tone
    GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
    AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
    EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
    Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Where are you running the ISF? I think a simple counterclockwise turn of that knob might help things out. Also, I noticed that it helps to bring up the master on the HT-5 if you're taking the emulated out from the front of the head. Those are the cheap solutions.

I found that an overdrive set to no drive, full volume really helped the clean channel on that amp. I've got a modded SD-1 that's closer to a TS-9, since it's got symmetrical clipping. I don't think that amp responds nearly as well to Boss-style clipping, so take it for what it's worth.

Comment

I think what you just described was eq with a boost. check out the Boss GE7 ot MXR 10 band eq. Both allow you fine tune your sound with the eq section and add boost or cut if desired.
        If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
        DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

maybe a comp or EQ pedal
          Originally posted by gibson175
          metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

The Double Back excels at this. You set the compressor mid way, then set the double back EQ filter to "High" and bring it up half way or a little past half. It literally allows top end clarity to jump out ahead of the rest of the signal, without changing your tone like a treble boost. It's like an amplitude dependent EQ tilt.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
              Where are you running the ISF? I think a simple counterclockwise turn of that knob might help things out. Also, I noticed that it helps to bring up the master on the HT-5 if you're taking the emulated out from the front of the head. Those are the cheap solutions.

I found that an overdrive set to no drive, full volume really helped the clean channel on that amp. I've got a modded SD-1 that's closer to a TS-9, since it's got symmetrical clipping. I don't think that amp responds nearly as well to Boss-style clipping, so take it for what it's worth.
              I tend to run the ISF around 2-3 o'clock because I'm not a big fan of the tone when its much lower...I like the meatier sound of having the ISF on the "british" side. And it still doesn't have much of the clarity I'm looking for.

Thanks for your input though, especially about the overdrive...I may definitely have to consider a Timmy or similar pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
                The Double Back excels at this. You set the compressor mid way, then set the double back EQ filter to "High" and bring it up half way or a little past half. It literally allows top end clarity to jump out ahead of the rest of the signal, without changing your tone like a treble boost. It's like an amplitude dependent EQ tilt.
                Thanks for the input, I'll have to look into it. I need to look around and see if anyone in town happens to have one...not a ton of selection of cool stuff around here.

Comment

I haven't tried the Double Back. That sounds like a good solution.

My first thought was for a good EQ. I use the MXR 10 band in my effects loop (gets too dirty if you plug into the front of the amp) and love it. You can get sparkly cleans or bluesy mids and rich bass. It has both pre and post EQ gain sliders with 12 Db gain.

The Wylde OD is a great unit for adding brightness/sparkle/clarity with the drive set low and output high, tone to taste. As an added benefit, you've got lots of sizzling distortion on tap when you want it.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
                    Hot damn. Just when I thought I was done buying things.
                    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I like the Dano TOD with my HT-5. It adds some clarity and sparkle. An eq in the loop also does wonders for this amp.
                      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

BSM HS, RM.., Java boost, germania 44, yjm308, dod250

Comment

If your looking to make a signal more lively and have it cut through better the BOSS Enhancer pedal does a great job.

Comment

Originally posted by Stef View Post
                            BSM HS, RM.., Java boost, germania 44, yjm308, dod250
                            Java Boost comes to mind too...i'd love to have on of those!
                            Originally posted by jeremy
                            God hates bad guitar tone
                            GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
                            AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
                            EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
                            Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Working...
                            X