My CrunchBox Clone Sounds Great!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My CrunchBox Clone Sounds Great!

Finished it tonight and very happy with it so far...Didn't get alot of time to wank through it,but it turned out nice also...Noticed it has alot of gain,sustain,and I've added more overall lowend to mine...I don't currently have the LM833 chip,but the Burr Brown 2134 chip and the 2 red leds,sounds pretty killer...I'll still want to mess with different chips,different leds,and the way the pedal clips....Sounds really killer straight away though from what I've heard...The external presence control is a really sweet add on to this pedal and it really allows you do dial in or out the highs....I have about $10 for the circuit board into this pedal and that's it...Pretty cool..Nothing fancy on the cosmetics but the pedal has tone!

Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Re: My CrunchBox Clone Sounds Great!

Nicely done!
    BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
    Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
    Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
    Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)
    Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
    Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
    Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
    Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
    Fender Jazz Bass 5 string (Sunburst)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
    Gibson EBO

Comment

Cool project, John! You got that knocked out in no time. Glad it's delivering the goods. Can you give us a little more detail once you get some time to feel it out?

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
        Cool project, John! You got that knocked out in no time. Glad it's delivering the goods. Can you give us a little more detail once you get some time to feel it out?
        Thanks guys.....Will do.I need to tidy up the wiring a bit still,but it was nice using the cloth wiring for this project...You bend it and it stays right where you put it..
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
          Thanks guys.....Will do.I need to tidy up the wiring a bit still,but it was nice using the cloth wiring for this project...You bend it and it stays right where you put it..
          I dig the cloth wiring for the very same reason. Looks very nice inside. I also dig the external presence knob. I might make one up myself someday with the same feature. I don't think the pedal would be as useful without an external presence knob.

Comment

Originally posted by Gr8Scott View Post
            I dig the cloth wiring for the very same reason. Looks very nice inside. I also dig the external presence knob. I might make one up myself someday with the same feature. I don't think the pedal would be as useful without an external presence knob.
            Thanks buddy....Yes the presence pot is awesome and it allows for alot more tonal adjustment...Cheap,fun build that I'm happy with...

This guy's videos are always really great....Good player also...I didn't find my CB clone to be too bassy and actually I did increase the input cap by double for more low end..

Crunchbox

MI Audio's take on the British high gain sound. Rawk!!Recorded with a Violet Design Amethyst Standard microphone through to an M-Audio ProFire 610 interface....
            Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 08-31-2010, 07:58 AM.

Comment

nice build!
              the cloth wire looks really cool!

I really think MI should put the presence pot outside coz it's so useful.

By the way, the best clips I've heard of the CB are from this guy:

Comment

Originally posted by erikm5150 View Post
                nice build!
                the cloth wire looks really cool!

I really think MI should put the presence pot outside coz it's so useful.

By the way, the best clips I've heard of the CB are from this guy:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music
                Cool any particular song choices for me to listen to? I need to go back in and get a bit more anal with the wiring...It's prefft decent,but I'd like to do some angles and tidy things up more...The pedal works flawlessly and the only problem I had,was I initially wired the pots backwards...Was a quick fix and the pedal worked great straight away..

Comment

Well done!

I love those BB op amps. They breathe a lot of life into an overdrive pedal.

Did you etch the PCB, or did you buy it from somewhere? It looks like it was etched (as opposed to manufactured).
                  Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                  Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                  Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
                    Well done!

I love those BB op amps. They breathe a lot of life into an overdrive pedal.

Did you etch the PCB, or did you buy it from somewhere? It looks like it was etched (as opposed to manufactured).
                    Thanks Matt.....I used to etch my own boards,but bought it from here....The guy's name is Barry and his products and forums are excellent..The pedal originally has the LM388 chip but after alot of research,I'm finding guys also like the TL072 and the Burr Brown 2134...Guys say the BB chip adds some clarity and articulation to the circuit...Actually I Like the way the pedal sounds right now...

Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 08-31-2010, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
                      Cool any particular song choices for me to listen to? .
                      Just scroll down and you can see in the descriptions where the crunchbox is used.

Comment

Originally posted by erikm5150 View Post
                        Just scroll down and you can see in the descriptions where the crunchbox is used.
                        I did and thank you....Great player with great tone...

Comment

Ok so just spent a 1/2 hour or better playing through my CB Clone....Plenty of gain,in fact 1/2 way up on the gain control is enough overall gain for my tastes...Even at higher gain settings the pedal still keeps some really good note clarity with a strat and single coils....Love the way you can go from higher than JCM 800 gain structures to fairly bluesy clean just by rolling off guitar volume...The pedal isn't boxey sounding and my gut feeling tells me that this Burr Brown chip might just be the way to go on my pedal? I've increased the stock .022 C1 input cap up to .047 and it's perfect for my tastes and setup in the lowend dept...I'm very very pleased overall with the way the pedal sounds...Sustain is easy to acheive and the presence control on the outside is really nice....Very small changes to the presence pot,makes noticible differences in both the highend and the overall grunt/crunch of the pedal..Nice pedal to stick and leave on my pedalboard...

I Love the fact that this pedal stays tight and "crunchy" and even under higher gain settings...It doesn't sag and compress like the BSIAB2 did....I pulled the BSIAB guts out of this box to build the CB and I Like this build alot better..
                          Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 08-31-2010, 01:50 PM.

Comment

bump

Comment

Ya know... I have a ton of parts laying around plus enough op amps (no burr browns though) to build a small army of tube screamers... I might round up the extra pots I'll need and whip one of these up myself. I have a smallish enclosure I could use also in the basement. I've been wanting something to give my bassman a marshally sound. I'd want a built in presence control and I'd want it right up top with the other knobs. Seems like an easy enough build to me and since I want more features than the original designer is willing to provide stock, I see no sense in buying one only to have to mod it after the fact anyway. Sounds like the input cap increase is a good idea as well. I'll inventory my parts along with the BOM and see what I'm missing soon. I'd like to order a PCB or two this weekend. I might attempt to build a fuzz or something also.

I appreciate the thread BTW.
                              Last edited by Gr8Scott; 09-01-2010, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X