My CrunchBox Clone Sounds Great!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My CrunchBox Clone Sounds Great!

John, that seems to be a great pedal and the presence control was a great idea. I find it very useful when switching from single coil guitars to humbuckers.

How would you compare this pedal to the DS-1 with your mod?
    cheers,
    jon
    Guitar: Fender Strat (SD Classic Stack+), PRS SC 250 (Pearly Gates), Fender Duo Sonic (SD SSL-1 & Twangbanger), Taylor 314ce
    Effects: RMC3, BarbEQ, Tone Press, Unlimited, Cusack Screamer, Hotcake, BJFE (DRD, EGDM, HBOD, SBEQ), Deep Blue Delay, Zendrive, Fuzz Factory, Vanamps Solemate, Catalinbread (DLS, Formula 5, WIIO)
    Amp: Emery Microbaby (Weber Blue Pup, Valvetrain 205 Tallboy (12' Eminence Blue Tick Hound)

Comment

Originally posted by jonathane40 View Post
      John, that seems to be a great pedal and the presence control was a great idea. I find it very useful when switching from single coil guitars to humbuckers.

How would you compare this pedal to the DS-1 with your mod?
      cheers,
      jon
      My own modded DS1 currently resides in a box in my closet...The pedal I just built I Like every bit as much as the BOR,except I Like that extra gain I can get from the CB...Both pedals do sound very kinda Marshallish...Funny cause I run my setup through a 73 50 watt NMV Marshall head set loud but clean..

This is one time where I have to disagree with my buddy Christian...Maybe it's the way I have the pedal setup,the components used,etc..but I put this pedal right there with the BOR....Both pedals do the Marshall kinda vibe,but different era Marshall....Very cool....Worth building for sure...

Next I'm going to build the "THOR"...This is another Plexi type Marshall tone and another pedal that I Like the sound clips of....Only cause it's fun building these things and cause I can...LOL
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Gr8Scott View Post
        Ya know... I have a ton of parts laying around plus enough op amps (no burr browns though) to build a small army of tube screamers... I might round up the extra pots I'll need and whip one of these up myself. I have a smallish enclosure I could use also in the basement. I've been wanting something to give my bassman a marshally sound. I'd want a built in presence control and I'd want it right up top with the other knobs. Seems like an easy enough build to me and since I want more features than the original designer is willing to provide stock, I see no sense in buying one only to have to mod it after the fact anyway. Sounds like the input cap increase is a good idea as well. I'll inventory my parts along with the BOM and see what I'm missing soon. I'd like to order a PCB or two this weekend. I might attempt to build a fuzz or something also.

I appreciate the thread BTW.
        You're welcome....Alot of wiring involved with this pedal,but alot of patience and the outcome is well worth it in the end...One of today's best sounding distortion pedals and I've heard and have played through alot of different pedals...Nothing beats the reward of putting the thing together,plugging into it,and thinking,wow this thing rocks and it actually works! Be careful cause theres not much space between the copper solder points on this board...You need to use very little solder and be very precise on each and every joint,or it won't work!

Buy the board from Barry,and follow his diagram,take your time,and the pedal will work flawlessly...It's a pretty quiet pedal and mine doesn't oscillate or doing anything weird like the BSIAB2 did for me....Keep your lead lengths very short also..
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Here's the info and whats needed for the project...Barry is a wonderful guy to deal with!

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
            You're welcome....Alot of wiring involved with this pedal,but alot of patience and the outcome is well worth it in the end...One of today's best sounding distortion pedals and I've heard and have played through alot of different pedals...Nothing beats the reward of putting the thing together,plugging into it,and thinking,wow this thing rocks and it actually works! Be careful cause theres not much space between the copper solder points on this board...You need to use very little solder and be very precise on each and every joint,or it won't work!

Buy the board from Barry,and follow his diagram,take your time,and the pedal will work flawlessly...It's a pretty quiet pedal and mine doesn't oscillate or doing anything weird like the BSIAB2 did for me....Keep your lead lengths very short also..
            Thanks for the tips. I'm pretty good at small and delicate soldering jobs, so I shouldn't have a problem with that. I use really thin solder that takes a while to fill up a pad, but rarely gets too much solder on a joint. That plus the fine tip on my 15 watt soldering iron should make this one a breeze so long as I don't get careless. Lead length will be my biggest hurdle.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I'm pretty good at small and delicate soldering jobs, so I shouldn't have a problem with that. I use really thin solder that takes a while to fill up a pad, but rarely gets too much solder on a joint. That plus the fine tip on my 15 watt soldering iron should make this one a breeze so long as I don't get careless. Lead length will be my biggest hurdle.
              The cloth wire is awesome! Cut it,bend it,solder it,and it stays wherever you want it to...

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
                The cloth wire is awesome! Cut it,bend it,solder it,and it stays wherever you want it to...
                It's great sho nuff. I have some, but only in white. It could get confusing, so I'll probably use my solid core jumper wires to do most of the wiring because I have it in three colors.

Comment

It's great sho nuff. I have some, but only in white. It could get confusing, so I'll probably use my solid core jumper wires to do most of the wiring because I have it in three colors.

The cloth wire I used is vintage Fender type solid core wire...I think I got it from Stew Mac?

Comment

Forgot to mention....By having this CB,I now don't still have to look into tweaking my BOR....2 things I wish the BOR had.....A bit more overall gain and the bass variance switch like the Distortron has...Zachary should make a Box Of Rock Plus or Deluxe that has it all...

Comment

The CB sounded great tonight in a band context..It cut perfect,the mids were great,and the pedal has good lowend but wasn't muddy....I Like the small tweaks I did to mine and I also really like the OPA 2134 chip in this pedal..My pedal doesn't sound hashy or fizzy either...Very very happy with it through my old Marshall head tonight..Now the other 2 players(rhythm and bass) want me to build them one...I told them if I did,it was gonna cost them! LOL

Comment

Working...
                      X