Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuzz that's most metal, fuzz with best cleanup

and a fuzz that does both well

light blue Dunlop Hendrix Fuzz Face is my current choice, but I'm sure the word "muff" should be making an appearance herein
    tele / wolfie
    pittbull 50cl
    greenbacks

Re: fuzz that's most metal, fuzz with best cleanup

A good Fuzz Face will never be good for metal.

A Fuzz Face with the best cleanup... I know Christian said the Hendrix one and that would probably be my first choice in terms of production fuzzes...
    Last edited by Andrew Lamprecht; 09-06-2010, 03:23 PM.
    Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
    Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

My bad, I thought you were talking specifically fuzz face.

The Jimi Hendrix pedal won't get you any good metal tones IMHO.

I'd be looking at Big Muffs.

Comment

I wouldn't look at a fuzz for metal tones at all...when I think metal tone I think tight, aggressive and saturated...fuzzes are none of those things...they loose, wooly and...well..fuzzy...

Not at all a metal tone.

The best clean up of ANY fuzz I've ever used period is a white dot NKT275 Sunface, they run just under 3 bills new but IMHO are worth it however you are not going to get anything like a metal tone.

If you want to hear a Sunface doing about the nastiest thing it's gonna do I posted a video clip some weeks ago that is me using a Sunface on a recording...it's a lot of things...nasty and dirty and fuzz but it ain't metal...
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

If you're curious, here is a link to that thread I mentioned...

Sound Clips and Playing Tips. Post Your MP3 links here as well as Q/A regarding guitar playing. Recording gear questions posted here.
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

This is what you want!

Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
              I wouldn't look at a fuzz for metal tones at all...when I think metal tone I think tight, aggressive and saturated...fuzzes are none of those things...they loose, wooly and...well..fuzzy...

Not at all a metal tone.
              +1

If you want to play metal, fuzz is not the way to go....A Big Muff (or modded muff style pedal) with a Tubescreamer infront will get you really really close...but its still not what most people think of when they think "Metal" ya know?

Heres a clip of my band, where I'm using a Way Huge Swollen Pickle (basically a modded big muff circuit), and a BBE green screamer (TS-9 clone with less of a mid spike)...Semi-metalish tone around 1:50......but still not really a typical metal tone....

www.experimentsinlowfidelity.com

Originally posted by Aceman
              I like the cream in there. Don't know why.

Comment

Originally posted by saladin View Post
                This is what you want!

Metal...maybe...

Fuzz...no way.

Comment

A metal pedal and a fuzz pedal are going to be two different things. You can get heavy with a fuzz pedal, but you can't really get metal.
                  "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Mirror, mirror on the wall
                    Which fuzz is the metalist of them all?

F U Z Z W A R !!!!

I mean, far be it for me to argue with gwif et al, but I think Iommi's early tone is as metal as it can get, and is also a fuzz.

And then, of course, is your own personal definition of 'metal'. I don't know what it means to 'be metal' these days (thank God).
                    Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 09-06-2010, 05:04 PM.
                    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                      I mean, far be it for me to argue with gwif et al, but I think Iommi's early tone is as metal as it can get, and is also a fuzz..
                      No, Iommi used a P90 SG with a treble booster into his laney stacks. He never used a fuzz...

Comment

His tone just got really dity and nasty because...

1. P90s
                        2. Treble Booster
                        3. Old Laneys are crunch machines...

Comment

Originally posted by Low_fidelity2100 View Post
                          +1

If you want to play metal, fuzz is not the way to go....A Big Muff (or modded muff style pedal) with a Tubescreamer infront will get you really really close...but its still not what most people think of when they think "Metal" ya know?

Heres a clip of my band, where I'm using a Way Huge Swollen Pickle (basically a modded big muff circuit), and a BBE green screamer (TS-9 clone with less of a mid spike)...Semi-metalish tone around 1:50......but still not really a typical metal tone....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=9410147
                          I'm still in love with your band.

I ain't even joking.

For some reason I'm particularly fond of your drummers snare sound in that song. I don't even know why, honestly. I have this cranked to **** and it's kicking my head off.
                          I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Well the T-Rex Mudhoney sounds great clean.
                            Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
                            Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
                            Originally posted by Sosomething
                            "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
                              I'm still in love with your band.

I ain't even joking.

For some reason I'm particularly fond of your drummers snare sound in that song. I don't even know why, honestly. I have this cranked to **** and it's kicking my head off.
                              Sweet, Thank you!
                              www.experimentsinlowfidelity.com

Originally posted by Aceman
                              I like the cream in there. Don't know why.

Comment

Working...
                              X