Cheap MXR ODs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap MXR ODs

There are a number of inexpensive MXR overdrives coming up for Black Friday it seems, like the ZW at SamAsh (mentioned in another thread) and the GuitarCenter Classic Distortion and Classic Overdrive...if you were to get one of these 3 which would you get?
    ZW
    45.00%
    Classic Distortion
    15.00%
    Classic Overdrive
    40.00%

Re: Cheap MXR ODs

I plan on getting the ZW OD tomorrow at $29.......I'm not really a Zakk fan but I love those little MXR boxes! It might be fun to play with and if I don't like it I'm not out much and can probably MAKE money reselling it on eBay!
    Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
    "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

i have all of them along with the GT-OD and here's what you need to know.

the ZW44 came first which is a modded version of the boss SD-1 to better fit Zakk's needs vs the SD-1 he used for years. then based off that the MXR custom shop came up with a few tweaks that make it into a GT-OD. at first they had separate circuit boards but now the GT-OD and ZW-44 share the same circuit board with an internal slider switch that changes between one or the other by adding or removing components from the signal path. so buy one and you actually have both if you want to open it up and slide the switch over.

the Classic Overdrive is the same pedal as the GT-OD with the same internal slider switch to change between it and ZW-44. it was just rebranded from GT-OD for a GC only run.

the Classic Distortion is a whole different animal and it's a renamed Distortion III pedal again for GC only.

i really like the GT-OD and Classic OD (same pedal) i use one with my 3120 and the other with my 5150 and it's beat out a lot of others to get there.

the GT-OD, Classic OD, ZW-44 (and boss SD-1 for that matter) all work real well when stacked into the Classic Distortion too. i use that setup SD-1 into Classic Distortion with my stock '79 JMP and it just kills, makes that amp a flame thrower.
      www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

From watching some videos online I think I kind of prefer the Classic Overdrive/GT-OD over the Zakk Wylde but I think for the price the ZW is probably the best. If I decided I didn't like it I could probably sell it for more then $30...

Comment

I bought the Labor Day Classic OD and really dig it.

I just noticed the Classic Distortion for $40 for GC's Black Friday.
          I think I'll pick one up, just because I like these MXR's. I don't necessarily need Distortion, but it may make another flavor of gain, when using it dialed back into an overdriven amp.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

From what I've seen the Classic Distortion seems to be a bit more of an overdrive than a distortion pedal. But that's based off of Youtube videos...haven't seen one in person.

Comment

I just bought a classic overdrive about a week ago and then modified it with a mini on/on switch so I could switch it on the fly... Well it sounded so bad on both settings I just sold it. Stock sounded the best but it was just way to noisy and bad sounding. The other setting was thin, harsh and still noisy. I'll never buy another mxr pedal. You get what you pay for.
              Guitar:
              2 EBMM Axis Super Sports, EBMM Sub1, Peavey Wolfgang
              Amp:
              EVH 5150III 50Watt>Mesa 4X12
              Effects:
              G-System>ISP G-String>ClinchFX EP-PRE>Stinkbug

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
                I just bought a classic overdrive about a week ago and then modified it with a mini on/on switch so I could switch it on the fly... Well it sounded so bad on both settings I just sold it. Stock sounded the best but it was just way to noisy and bad sounding. The other setting was thin, harsh and still noisy. I'll never buy another mxr pedal. You get what you pay for.
                I understand first impressions are a big deal, but the Carbon Copy is wonderful. I had almost the opposite impression. I love MXR and Dunlop stuff.

Comment

I like how MXR circuits are the bare minimum for what's necessary to makes it's sound. I know that there's a bunch of boutique pedals for $200 that may sound better, but better is just another flavor.

If you've got a bunch of amps, it's fun to grab these cheap but good OD/Dist pedals, just to see how they all react to different amps. Sometimes, you come up with surprisingly great tones.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                    I understand first impressions are a big deal, but the Carbon Copy is wonderful. I had almost the opposite impression. I love MXR and Dunlop stuff.
                    Yes the carbon copy is an awesome pedal. I used one on my board for a while before getting a wampler analog echo. I do like the tone knob on analog delays. Mxr did hit a home run on that one and the script phase 90 and I'm sure there are others I haven't tried. But I ment I'll never try another mxr dirt box. I use a classic 100 amp and it loves pedals. The classic overdrive on both settings sounded like garbage. But the only other TS type pedal I have now to compare it to is my Emma stinkbug and it is (to me) far superior then anything on the market that is modeled after a TS. It's actually been called the tube screamer to end all tube screamers. So that may be why I didn't like it.
                    Guitar:
                    Amp:
                    Effects:

Comment

Also I did say that you get what you pay for... The carbon copy isn't a $30 special pedal at GC. It's a $149 pedal, and sounds like a $149 pedal.
                      Guitar:
                      Amp:
                      Effects:

Comment

Well, I hit both GC and Sam Ash this morning. GC's Classic Distortion was sold out, and when I got to Sam Ash, I grabbed the last Zakk Wylde OD for $30.

First impression is that the Classic OD is slightly thicker in the mids, a bit softer in the lows, and the highs may be a bit less sizzley than the Zakk OD.

The Zakk OD sounds a tad more metal, tighter in the lows, neutral mids, and slightly crunchier highs.

The only thing I know about the Classic Distortion is what I've seen in the 2 youtube clips.

Comment

both the classic OD (GT-OD) and ZW-44 work best IMO not into a clean amp but into an amp that's like a JMP or JCM800 that's set up for some classic rock or perhaps a bit more gain than that even to then push it to 80s metal territory (that's how i use it with my JMP).

they also shine when used with a high gain amp with the level up and drive down on the pedal to shape and saturate the tone while tightening up the low end, that's how i use them with my 3120 and 5150.

none of them are amazingly impressive into clean amps used as distortion pedals. the classic distortion is ok with this but within reason. if you dime the distortion it sounds like a pedal. if you use a bit more level than gain it sounds more natural.

the combo of the ZW-44 (Classic OD or GT-OD or SD-1) into the Classic Distortion with the distortion just hardly on will take that same JMP or JCM from 80s metal with just the OD on to more of a metallica kill 'em all esq gain.

it's all about moderation and stacking with them. if you crank it into a clean amp it just won't work all that well. if you use them to further shape a base tone that has some gain to it already or lots of gain to shape it more they work real well.
                          www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

i have 9 different overdrive pedals (i know- its a compulsion).....and the classic overdrive is one of the best.
                            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

i love this thread.

i've got the classic OD and the classic Dist. and love'em both, though i haven't had the distortion on the board for a while mainly because i've since switched over to a footpedal for my valveking to go to it's onboard dirt channel.
                              Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
                              ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Comment

Working...
                              X