banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whirlwind Phaser VS MXR 1974 Reissue CSP-026.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whirlwind Phaser VS MXR 1974 Reissue CSP-026.

Anyone compared these two????

The Whirwind is fairly cheap on ebay new so I am tempted rather than having my 1974 CSP-026 phaser modded for $70.

Anyone try these two???
    Is the Whirlwind as warm and smooth, deep?

Thanks!

Re: Whirlwind Phaser VS MXR 1974 Reissue CSP-026.

I've heard people say the new whirlwinds are a bit better... I've never tried them though...

They are handwired and use the same exact parts as the original and made by one of the original creator of that pedal if I'm not mistaken.

They both seem to be very nice so either way I think you'll be fine...

EDIT:With your situation I would try and buy a whirlwind and if you don't like it, sell it and mod the MXR.
    Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
    Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

I keep hearing guys talk about nothing is as musical or warm as the 1974 and I love it so I am wondering if I might want to not get caught up in all the pedal swapping again and move on...LOL

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul View Post
        I keep hearing guys talk about nothing is as musical or warm as the 1974 and I love it so I am wondering if I might want to not get caught up in all the pedal swapping again and move on...LOL
        If you love it, then why would you mod it?

Comment

No, the mod is just to make it more convenient. LED and power jack...that's it.

Comment

I wouldn't add those things because they can both mess with the sound.

Comment

If I were you i would just keep the pedal the same and find some other gear to buy.

Comment

Anyone compared these two????
                The Whirwind is fairly cheap on ebay new so I am tempted rather than having my 1974 CSP-026 phaser modded for $70.
                Anyone try these two???
                Is the Whirlwind as warm and smooth, deep?
                Thanks!
                Never tried the Whirlwind but if you do let us know what happens...I'm curious about this myself.
                If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

No, the mod is just to make it more convenient. LED and power jack...that's it.
                  The bypass on the 74 Phase 90 is not that bad to be honest but if you want the DC jack and the LED thoey are both good additions.

Originally posted by Andrew Lamprecht View Post
                  I wouldn't add those things because they can both mess with the sound.
                  Wrong answer my friend...the Phase 90 is not like a Fuzz Face adding an LED, DC jack or even a toaster will not change the sound of the pedal.
                  If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I added a toaster to my 74 RI and it's just not sounding as smooth as it did before. I'm considering making modding the toaster for true bypass.
                    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                      The bypass on the 74 Phase 90 is not that bad to be honest but if you want the DC jack and the LED thoey are both good additions.
                      I'm running a Script 90, with DC power supply, and the bypass is just fine. In fact, with the Phase 90 on, you get quite a bit of boost on the output of the pedal; if your amp is not dead clean, you can get some OD just from the '90 alone!

For the ultimate '70s phase sound, however, I would recommend a Maestro PS-1 or PS-1A. Gobs of warmth (aka, colouration), brilliant phasing that ramps up and down like a Leslie, and nothing even remotely associated with 'bypass'. In fact, when I'm recording, I often use the PS-1 in my signal chain but turned 'off'. It's like an audio time machine!!
                      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
                        I added a toaster to my 74 RI and it's just not sounding as smooth as it did before.
                        I did the same thing. I thought I got a crunchier sound.

Originally posted by Rich_S
                        I'm considering making modding the toaster for true bypass.
                        That made things a lot better. A little more buttery.

Comment

A lot people I respect say the Whirlwind orange box phaser is not as thick and syrupy as the 1974 CSP-026 reissue. I found the same with the Retro Sonic.

I am going to have mine modded with power jack, LED and true bypass. Analog Mike who does the mods say they hear no change other than the slight improvement in the bypassed mode due to true bypass. The LED is out of the main cicuit.

apparently the mods do not take away from the tone.
                          I have no issues with the pedal adding distortion at all and no boost...just nice phase that mixes well with the original tone. If I need a boost, I will consider the Retro Sonic, but I had it years ago and even my block logo beat it for warmth and thickness. The Level boost would be nice though but when I had it.....it did not sit in the mix as well. I will rely on my amp's solo boosts for the boost. LOL.

The Retro Sonic, while versatile is about Gigi
                          Although I want to try again.

Maybe the 1974 CSP-026 is the real deal.
                          Last edited by papersoul; 12-26-2010, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Ya know....rather than spending $70 plus shipping to add true bypass, a power jack and an LED...I might just get this and call it a day. The pedal looks classic right now since it has no LED.
                            http://cgi.ebay.com/MXR-Backplate-Replacements-Small-Box-Pedals-/350399921651?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item519576 7df3

When I start gigging out with this new band, if I find it annoying, I will then get it modded.

Comment

Ya know....rather than spending $70 plus shipping to add true bypass, a power jack and an LED...I might just get this and call it a day. The pedal looks classic right now since it has no LED.
                              http://cgi.ebay.com/MXR-Backplate-Replacements-Small-Box-Pedals-/350399921651?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item519576 7df3

When I start gigging out with this new band, if I find it annoying, I will then get it modded.
                              I wonder if that will work with my z.vex SHO!
                              Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                              My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Working...
                              X