New Speaker for Peavey XXX Combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Speaker for Peavey XXX Combo

I have a peavey xxx 40 efx. There is currently a peavey speaker in it, I want to upgrade to something better. My top choice is a Celestion G12-80 Classic Lead 12" Speaker. What do you think? I haven't heard good things about classic 30's in this amp. My main question would be, is an 80 watt speaker going to go to waste in a 40 watt amp? I'm open to other suggestions as well. I play all styles but am most picky about my metal tone so that is my priority. thanks!

Re: New Speaker for Peavey XXX Combo

I have V30s in my XXX 212 combo and think that they are a great match.

I wouldn't be concerned about 40 watts into an 80 watt speaker, that is no issue.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

i use a Wizard and Governor with my 3120 and they crank out some serious bottom end...

Comment

higher wattage speakers are never wasted on lower powered amps. Its juts whether or not you like the tonal response of a particular speaker that matters.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

It tends to fly under the radar a bit but, the Celestion G12-K100 sounds great for metal. I put one in my 6505+ combo and it just kills.
          -Mike-

Originally posted by rhymes with metalchurch79
          I take peoples advice after i do some quick math to determine if the lie detector test determines they are full of sh**. Take their post count x 5minutes per post = how much time they didnt spend playing or working on their guitars. The Pros will be spotted right away.

Comment

I currently have a Sheffield 1200. These are stock speakers in the 5150 cabs I believe. My problem is that the amp is just muddy on distortion, both crunch and ultra, no matter how much gain, no matter which guitar, guitar plugged in directly or with pedals, etc. Basically I have tried everything I can think of except changing the speaker. I put new JJ tubes in it. I've heard that some people put in a 12dw7 to tame the gain which I also plan on trying. Let me know if you think a speaker change will clear up my distortion.

FYI - I have tried nearly every conceivable eq setting so it is not the eq. I am aware that it is active eq as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Franknfilms View Post
              I currently have a Sheffield 1200. These are stock speakers in the 5150 cabs I believe. My problem is that the amp is just muddy on distortion, both crunch and ultra, no matter how much gain, no matter which guitar, guitar plugged in directly or with pedals, etc. Basically I have tried everything I can think of except changing the speaker. I put new JJ tubes in it. I've heard that some people put in a 12dw7 to tame the gain which I also plan on trying. Let me know if you think a speaker change will clear up my distortion.

FYI - I have tried nearly every conceivable eq setting so it is not the eq. I am aware that it is active eq as well.
              JJ Pre-amp tubes (12AX7s)?...If so, get those out of there and put EHX 12AX7s in...noticable difference.
              Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by Binnerscot View Post
                JJ Pre-amp tubes (12AX7s)?...If so, get those out of there and put EHX 12AX7s in...noticable difference.
                So you think it is the tubes and not the speaker holding me back? Tubes would be cheaper than a speaker so I might go that route. I'm sure others have manage to put out some good tones on a Sheffield 1200 right?

Comment

JJ 12AX7/ECC83S tubes are known to be dark sounding indeed, it's a love or hate thing kind of, but if you are suffering from a sound that is too dark already putting JJ's in all your pre-amp spots is definitely not a good idea.
                  I'd advice to get a set of Electro Harmonix 12AX7's, as Binnerscot indicated in his post above, these are different sounding, compared to JJ's they are more tight in the bass section and have a familiar upper range bite (some would call it British sounding).
                  Since you'll need some spare tubes around anyhow, buying a set of EH 12AX7's would not be wasted money anyhow, if the tubes still don't solve your problem, you can still put them to good use later on.
                  If it would still be not the sound what you are after, it's time to go out for a new speaker.
                  Although I am not too crazy about the Sheffield speakers, I definitely would try with a pre-amp tube swap towards EH before anything else!

Good luck mate and keep us posted!
                  "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

Another vote for new preamp tubes. I like the Tung-Sols slightly better than EHX, just because I find them slightly fatter sounding. They also are just a touch less noisy. But I like the EHX as well.

If that doesn't work, I say go for a Vintage 30 or a Governor from Eminence. I've never tried the G12K-100, but maybe that should be on the list as well. But I think preamp tubes are in store first. I REALLY don't get along with JJ preamp tubes. And let us know what you end up doing.

Comment

I just won 4 new ehx 12ax7 tubes on ebay for $30! I'll report back when I put them in. Also, forgot to mention a huge detail, I have el34s in the amp as well, it originally had 6L6s. According to my amp tech I can get away with switching back and forth without rebiasing since the wattage is so low. If the ehx don't do it for me, I'll also try putting the 6L6s back in. I've never changed any tubes before but I'm guessing it is easy and no tools are required.

Comment

The EL34's you have in there now are going to be your best bet if you want bite/more British sound/more immediate attack. The 6L6's will give you more of the soft warm spongy bluesy feel. But I'm not much of an expert on tubes, so maybe someone will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

I personally love the 6L6 sound, but it may not be your thing. Sounds like you're after more clarity with high gain
                        Originally Posted by IanBallard
                        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Franknfilms View Post
                          So you think it is the tubes and not the speaker holding me back? Tubes would be cheaper than a speaker so I might go that route. I'm sure others have manage to put out some good tones on a Sheffield 1200 right?
                          Sheffield 1200s are decent speakers. I bought my combo used and it already had V30s in it, but I had a Peavey 4x12 with Sheffields. They are similiar sounding, maybe half way between a V30 and a G12T-75.

The JJs work great if you think your amp needs to sound fatter and less brittle, but in Peaveys and Mesas, I had the best results with EHX and similar 12AX7s. I tried JJs in the XXX, and it was too dark and dull.

FYI: I think JJ power tubes rock in the XXX and Mesas.

Comment

I put in the EHX pre amp tubes the other day. This was not a huge difference but the changes were all positive. Brighter and cleaner, the ultra channel gain has more of a range now, it used to go from zero gain to insane gain, there is a very slight middle ground now which I appreciate. Good upgrade, my initial problem has an incredibly stupid explanation though.

I usually have my amp in the office room in my apt, I crank it up and then go into the living room, the amp is facing the open doorway and looking right at me, yet for some reason the sound just muddies up in between rooms. I should have realized this was the problem. When I crank it out in the living room with the drummer no muddiness. Glad that this foolish mistake led me to discovering the EHX tubes though and I'm sure the the Sheffield speaker will do just fine.

Also, Peavey sent me this diagram about their speakers so thought I'd share it.

Comment

Working...
                            X