asking the impossible....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• asking the impossible....

so i have a master volume 1x12 marshall combo that sounds superb especially with a nice overdrive pedal.
    I also have as my main amp a fender priceton reverb II which is my main gigging amp. With it i use a fulldrive.
    Thing is....id love to be able to use the princeton as i do normally, but somehow magically use a stomp box to make it react like my marshall. juts for a laugh i plugged the fx out from the marshall into the fenders regular input and it sounded great.
    Sooooo....any pedals that will sound like im using the marshalls preamp section? I know many have tried and failed over the years and cos i have the two amps sitting next to each other im gonna be very hard to please in the "marshall in a box" category. But im open to suggestions (even to people who think i can do it with a ds1!). Id really like a pedal that also works well with an overdrive in front of it.
    Marshall amp tones from a fender.....
    this is why its titled asking the imnpossible....
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Re: asking the impossible....

-Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
    “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

yeah that pedal does look like the goods but its 369 bucks in australia and an import model wont work on our 240v power.
      Last edited by Chickenwings; 01-06-2011, 04:17 AM.
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Get any of the Marshall type od's : Jackhammer, Gov'ner, Danelectro Daddy-0, Rat, just make sure it's based on the Gov'ner type circuit. Not a tube screamer type circuit.
        I use a modded Daddy-0 with my Bandmaster- it gets pretty Marshall sounding- sometimes, more than my Marshall!
        " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

I use a Boss SD-1 with the drive at 9:00 and the level maxed after a tube screamer. The SD-1 set up like this really doesn't add any grit, it re-EQ's the signal by rolling off the bass and kicking up the mids several notches. It definitely gives a Fender more of a British voice and totally changes the way the tube screamer interacts with the amp. Plus, alone it gives you a clean "somewhat British" tone option.
          Now operating part time: Glassman Tube Amps...repairs, rebuilds, restorations & modifications of tube equipment.

Still building: GlassMan Amplifiers (25 watt, all tube, single channel w/reverb, single 12" combo) and some more designs in the works.

Located in Fort Wayne, IN

Note: I've "parked" my website in case anyone has been looking for it. I moved locations and haven't updated the site to reflect this.

Comment

Try out a ZVEX Box of Rocks or MI Audio Crunchbox. Those are really good "Marshall In A Box" pedals. I favor the BOR due to it having the boost option.

Comment

my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

i like the sound of the marshalls in that zvex clip. But....hes trying to get marshall sounds out of marshalls...which is a lot different to getting marshall sounds out of fenders...Anyone have any experience with a BOR into a fender?
                and glassman i have spent a lot of time trying to use various pedals (including an sd1) in that configuration. That kind of setup (pedal order) is what im after, but i dont think a ts/sd1 type circuit wil get me there so thats why im looking here for other options.
                So really im looking for something i can use as a separate marshall style rhythm channel and then boost it with a ts type thing for dirty leads.
                Last edited by Chickenwings; 01-06-2011, 06:44 PM.
                Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Fulltone Plimsoul maybe? On his site he mentions he uses it with combos and not with marshalls as it has that marshall amp type low mid thing? From what I see it looks like an improved OCD... worth a shot at least to look up.
                  Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

ill check out the plim as well then
                    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I was getting a Marshall sound out of my Twin with the PlexiTone the other night. BUT... that open-back 2X12 Jensen-loaded cab just wasn't tight enough for my tastes. Would have to run different speakers for it fully to work for me.
                      "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

i really like the concept of the plexi tone but at the best part of 400 bucks shipped here in australia its a big ask juts to try out another pedal that may or may not do the job. There arent any shops that carry one in stock for a tryout either.
                        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I'm sure you could rig up a small transformer to match the v power requirement....lets face it the boss adapters are pretty small. If its a 230v version (which I think is available) then I'm sure it would work.

Comment

Buy Now: https://goo.gl/82n1jAThe Blackstar HT Drive is an incredible valve overdrive straight from the UK that will give you some real vintage valve overdri...

How about this ? Cost me about £90 in the UK. The company was set up by ex-Marshall guys which I think you can tell by the sound. Built like a brick sh*thouse too. The demo is done with a Fender DRRI. I've used it with a BOSS OD3 set for a clean boost in front of it and when you kick in the Blackstar the sound is awesome.

Actually I had the Blackstar in front of the OD3.
                            Last edited by richard parker; 01-07-2011, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Why not just get an A/B or A/B/Y and bring your Marshall rig as well as your Fender. That would be an awesome setup
                              "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                              "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Working...
                              X