asking the impossible....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: asking the impossible....

Hm, marshall preamp into fender... Well, how about a JMP-1?

Or for a cheaper/less midi approach, something like an old Peavey Rockmaster preamp, or a Real Tube pedal or rack (The blue model is more fendery, the black more hot-rodded marshall).

There's a number of more recent designs, but you may have more luck at finding something affordable in an older secondhand.

I messed with a Hughes and Kettner Metal Shredder that was absolutely amazing at marshally sounds... once I replaced the harsh, bright stock tubes with some of those incredibly dark sovtek LPS preamp tubes, which brought it's INSANE brightness under control and made it sound just like a classic hot-rodded marshall on medium gain settings. Awesome.

I wish I'd kept it, but I ran into some issues with it making weird tearing sounds with the single coils I had, and thought it was something wrong with the amp. Turned out to be the pickups... *sigh*

Comment

A friend of mine plays a BOR into a Fender Blues Deluxe.

Sounds fantastic.
      - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

Some nice things have been named already:Carl Martin PlexiTone, ZVEX Box of Rock.
        But those are rather expensive indeed, and when you can't try a pedal out that costs that much, I would not take the risk either.
        If you could test a Marshall Guvnor or the OD side of the Jachkammer I'd give them a spin, you never know if these put out what you are after, and it won't cost you doing so.

A real good pedal from within the DIY range is the General Guitar Gadgets (GGG) Brown Sound in a Box Version 2, or called short BSIAB2. Very underestimated JFET-based Marshall plexi box, even in the standard form, and putting an extra "contour" pot on it only makes it more versatile and is strongly recommended.

If you are not into building pedals yourself, you could always ask someone to build this BSIAB2 for you at a small fee or something, it will give you a really good plexi-style pedal for a very small price!
        "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

JEM GHOST! yah mon! ive built a few pedals and thats maybe a fun cheap project! And if it turn out like the standard pedal crap ill juts put it in the box with the rest of them!
          DESPAIR: I also like the jmp1 idea cos i can use that thru the marshall in th efx loop return...ill have a dig around for a used one. My fender has the most superb jazz tone, but it doesnt have an fx loop so this jmp may or may not work into the front jack- have yop used one plugged straight into a clean amp? how is the bypass sound?
          RICHARD PARKER: The blackstar doesnt sound inspiring at all to my ears it sounds like modern scooped mush which i can get out of my MI tube zone but if i see one in a shop ill try it out. Im also a bit suss on having tubes at my feet....
          PHIL: ill see if i can find one to try out...
          BLUDAVE: i fear you may be right about the a/b switch as being the best sound. I just dont want to carry 2 amps to a gig. Im hoping i can get a passable crunch sound out of the fender (cos i sure cant get a passable clean out of the marshall! lol)
          Last edited by Chickenwings; 01-07-2011, 06:41 PM.
          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

2 im thinking about trying......a sansamp gt2 or a nice rat like the wf reissue or some kinda modded rat 2. I like the agressive 80s sound of the rat....juts dont know if it will sound any good thru the fender
            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Glad to hear you have build some pedals yourself and are open to a new project Gibson 175!

The BSIAB2 from GGG is definitely worth a try for the sound you are after!! (if you have the other stuff around, you can make it even cheaper and just order the PCB from GGG and populate the board and finish the pedals with components you still have).
              I would definitely advice to include the "contour" knob when building the project, just as shown on the GGG project website, it will enable you to get the best out of the pedal!

And if it does not work out, you did not loose a lot of money, and maybe you can still sell it and recover most (or even all) of your costs.
              But as I said before, the BSIAB2 is an often underrated box with great capabilities in my opinion. You might be pleasantly surprised by it if you decide to try it!!

PS: Keep me posted if you decide to build it and have run it for a test!
              "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

ooops. looks like ivce made a decision....i found a hartman distortion going cheap second hand so i grabbed it.

ive always wanted a rat anyway so maybe this will fit the bill.
                Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Rats would sound best modded - stock sound is a bit 'thin' for a marshall.

I think the Blackstar pedal he linked to is one of the worst sounding. You need one with the ISF option......british mode gives you marshall all the way. This is the Dual

Buy Now: https://goo.gl/eV7fNMThe Blackstar HT Dual provides unprecedented versatility and dynamics within one impressively designed stompbox. These two cha...

Comment

I can only assume that most of you , being American, don't really have any idea what Marshalls sound like. I grew up playing every different Marshal under the sun. On the other hand who ever heard a great guitar sound from Australia ?

Comment

And if you think any Rat pedal sounds like a Marshall, well....... it's obviously not worth listening to anything else you have to say.

Comment

Originally posted by richard parker View Post
                        I can only assume that most of you , being American, don't really have any idea what Marshalls sound like. I grew up playing every different Marshal under the sun. On the other hand who ever heard a great guitar sound from Australia ?
                        My, my......we do appear to have touched a nerve here haven't we.

Did you make a mistake and swallow the grumpy pill thinking it was vitamins???

If this sort of post is the highest you can reach, feel free to keep your opinions to yourself. The rest of us were all playing nice until these last two posts of yours.

Comment

I grew-up playing in the 80s. All we had for quality tube amps back then were Marshalls for overdrive, and Fenders for cleans. (Didn't mean to omit Vox, but very few of us had them or seemed to care about them.) So we all went through a LOT of Marshalls and Fenders. And we all used a TS9 (or a RAT) for a drive pedal.
                          "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Why do you hate Americans? I mean yeah, we brought more war to the Middle East, refuse to give rights to minority groups until they beg and plead, we think we're the best at everything when really we're the best at being the worst - but I don't get why you hate Americans.

Who took a **** in your wheaties?
                            Last edited by Agileguy_101; 01-08-2011, 03:11 AM.
                            Custom neck-thru strat
                            1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                            1995 PRS CE24
                            D'avanzo #8
                            Breedlove Solo Concert
                            1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                            1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                            1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                            Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

It's nothing new.....he just needs some extra modulation.....

There is always a grump or two around here!

It ads to the flavour!

Comment

Richard Parker: why are you so upset that im not gonna rush out and buy the pedal you suggested? I was looking for suggestions from everyone here. I listened to the clip you suggested and that is not the sound im after. I have also taken onboard advice from other members of the forum. With that and with my experience in playing various guitars and amps over the years i have made a decision and bought another pedal as an experiment. I dont understand why you are taking that so personally. There is no right and wrong when it comes to creating sounds, there is only different approaches. Perhaps you just need a nice cup of tea.
                                Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                                X