I dun goofed - any help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I dun goofed - any help?

I accidentally screwed with the IC trimpots on my Memory Boy, not knowing what I was doing. I know that I can send it in to EH and have them fix my error of stupidity, but I'm kind of broke. I might be able to get my hands on an oscilloscope, and my dad has used them before, so he could help me. Any advice on what to do?
    If I can't get an oscilloscope, is there anything I can do short of sending it back to EH?
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Re: I dun goofed - any help?

Well, question is, do you remember how much you moved them? Second, even if you had an o-scope, do you think you would be able to actually diagnose what is going on? What's the pedal doing right now?
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
    Originally posted by Securb
    The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Originally posted by trevorus View Post
      Well, question is, do you remember how much you moved them? Second, even if you had an o-scope, do you think you would be able to actually diagnose what is going on? What's the pedal doing right now?
      No and nothing. When I turn it on I get no output.
      Custom neck-thru strat
      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
      1995 PRS CE24
      D'avanzo #8
      Breedlove Solo Concert
      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
      1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
      Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

You may be SOL there. Send back to the people that built it. They know the design and know exactly what those little trim pots do.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
        Originally posted by Securb
        The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

good on you for lining up an oscilloscope tho
          respect.

Comment

^But what good will it do him again??

Comment

he was still thinking ahead

; ]

Comment

.....hehe take a course in basic electronics then!
                And trim those BBD's back, plus what else he might have knocked out on the bias knobs.

Comment

Even if you did get an oscilloscope you would still need a spec-sheet to calibrate it to factory default. Maybe dick around with the trim pots again until you get a signal and then just try to set things to right by ear--that is if you didn't fry the chip by diming the bias pot. Hope it works out. Let us know how it goes...

Comment

Above post is what I'd advice as well.
                    Without a spec-sheet an oscilloscope would not do him much good, another option would be to measure voltages across certain points, but without reference values from a spec-sheet, it's not going to solve anything either.

Carefuly going by ear, while avoiding extreme pot settings and hoping you don't fry the chip seems the best option.
                    "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

Fry the chip....
                      How so??
                      Just get it send back to where it came from and get it biased back
                      But you can dial it back by ear(well most of it)
                      Rule of the thumb.....put a mark from where the trimmer was, the next time you wanna fool around inside those things

Comment

Mid point is a good place to start if you've no reference. Do the adjustment with the pedal off. Turn it on and seek from there. It may require turning it off and back on [ The power ] before adjustments register.
                        Last edited by GoldenVulture; 01-08-2011, 09:14 AM.
                        sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
                        - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

By goofing around with the bias-pot you can toast the output section of the op-amp chip by making it work too hard. Phzzzzzzzt...goodbye chip, hello expensive repair bill.
                          Sucks if it happens to a vintage effect.
                          Anyways, to the OP, set all the pots to noon (or as close to pre-messing around as you can remember), see if you get a signal, and then try to set it by ear...
                          By the way, goofing around with the trim-pots toasts something else too...your warranty.

Comment

Since when where OP-Amps in massproduced pedals expensive?
                            Look like this??
                            No output on a religiously bypassed pedal?
                            Is there output in bypass??
                            Last edited by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon; 03-31-2011, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
                              No output on a religiously bypassed pedal?
                              Laughed so hard I nearly fell off my chair!
                              Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Comment

Working...
                              X