Re: Looking for 2x12 small cabinet

that randall does look pretty tough.

Comment

St. Genesius just got a Forte that almost made me piano my pants
      my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

It won't fit your height criteria, but if you you can find an older Mesa 212 Half-Back they are wonderful--best 212 ever made, IMO. They are a vertical 212 with a metal grill; and not that much smaller than the Mesa 412 Half-Back--which is a very small 412. Top of the cab is open-back, and usually fitted with a Celestion/Mesa Black Shadow C90. You'll sometimes see them with a C90 (rarely), or the Eminence/BlackShadow MS-12 (a JBL Clone), or the highly-regarded EVM in the bottom (BEST!). The bottom of the cab is closed back AND, it is Theile-ported for maximum low-end response. They just work really great on a small stage. The open top gives you the "air" and spaciousness of an open-back--like a combo; while bottom part of the cab provides the low-end grunt and projection of a 412. I have one with the C90/MS-12 combination. It will fit in the trunk of my girlfriend's 1999 Accord Coupe. The stage footprint is about the same as a Fender Twin Reverb combo--just a little narrower and a little deeper. They came with pop-out wheels, and I usually pop them out at the gig to connect the cab to the floor for better bass response. And the other thing I like about it is that it puts the amp head at a readable level, so I'm not bending over and trying to read the knobs in the dark...a win-win for my old eyes and my aching back!

Mesa does make a new version of this cab--the Vertical Recto 212; with a totally closed-back and Celestion V30s (same speakers as the Horizontal Recto 212).

If you like Mesa, and the idea of an open and closed back cab in one--they do offer the Road King cabs. The Road King amp has the ability to set each channel to use different power levels, different tube types and SS or tube rectification--and assign each channel to one of two different speakers. Very handy if you want both open back and closed back sounds.

The Mesa cabs are very well-built, and use top-grade plywood. If you are doing any kind of gigging, or even merely transporting you cab, I would STRONGLY recommend that you avoid particleboard and MDF construction.

Good luck!

Bill
        When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Another option, if you're gonna spend like $300 on a cab, would just be to save.. probably less than $100 more and buy a hot rod deluxe or somethin to run in stereo with the piggy. Or sell the pignose and use that amp plus the cab money to buy a bigger amp
          Originally posted by gibson175
          metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

I was gonna suggest that Alchemist cab as well. Music 123 has them new at $399. If you get the Randall, get brand name speakers not the Randall specials. I don't know why I say that other than that would be my personal preference.

If you can find a Mesa, I'd say go with it. I just picked up a 1x12 partial open back that is very cool and a breeze to carry. They make a vertical 2x12 as well but it's big.

My experience with the Marshal 1936 was bad, but the 1922 with Greenbacks is awesome.

There are B-52s, Jet City and Blackstar stuff that seems OK as well. I have no experience with any of them other than I window shopped them recently. Vox might also be a possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by drew_half_empty View Post
              Another option, if you're gonna spend like $300 on a cab, would just be to save.. probably less than $100 more and buy a hot rod deluxe or somethin to run in stereo with the piggy. Or sell the pignose and use that amp plus the cab money to buy a bigger amp
              Thjanks for the idea but I already have a Hot Rod Deville, and it's a beast and I prefer the pignose even though it's one channel, it takes pedals well and it is light and 30w of tube power which is plenty loud.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                The Mesa cabs are very well-built, and use top-grade plywood. If you are doing any kind of gigging, or even merely transporting you cab, I would STRONGLY recommend that you avoid particleboard and MDF construction.
                I will second this. One corner of my Peavey cabinet is now made of bondo instead of low-density particle board because a crack in the concrete decided to eat one of the cabinet's casters. Plywood tends not to have that problem.
                Originally posted by ratherdashing
                If you don't see the value of a good 1 watt tube amp, it probably means one or more of the following:

- You live out in the country
                - You hate your neighbours
                - You mistakenly believe that your big amp with the master volume at 0.5 sounds good
                - You love solid state amps
                - You don't actually play guitar
                - You kick puppies

Comment

^^^ good point, my ampeg cab has the same caster issue, caster gets stuck on a crack in the sidewalk and then the wood of the cabinet fails and the air pressure can potentially get messed up

Comment

Originally posted by Uk Ant View Post
                    i think the Marshall 1936 is the short 2x12 in their range. Might not be what your after and may be a bit pricy in the states
                    I always thought the 1936 was a pretty big 2x12. I don't know if Marshall still make the 1922, but that's a smaller cab.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Of the cabs mentioned I have only had experience with a Marshall 1936 and a Mesa Recto 2x12 Horizontal. I owned a 1936 for a short period of time and felt the build quality wasn't great. For 70ish more dollars I could have bought a Mesa 2x12 which are undoubtedly much better cabs. Mesa cabs are heavy duty and very well built (If you've ever picked one up you will know what I mean lol). I now do have a Mesa 2x12 horiz and would highly recommend it.
                      Last edited by GuitarGuy503; 04-08-2011, 07:53 AM.
                      Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
                      Roland Cube 60
                      Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
                      BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
                      LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
                      Mogami Cables
                      Mooer Candy Toppers
                      Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
                      Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Comment

Thanks for the Mesa recommendation.

Comment

Originally posted by drew_half_empty View Post
                          I run my Pignose in stereo with a Tweed Deluxe sometimes. This is a massive Bassman-esque wall of sound!

Click image for larger version

Name:	gigging twins.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	5810690
                          <Upgrade your BOSS pedals/FX >

Comment

I had a Pignose Hog 40 back in the day
                            For about two months
                            The speaker blew and I sent it back to M.F.

Sounded good until it didn't

Do they still make those?
                            EHD
                            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Check this out.

I just bought a vertical 2x12 from them. Birch plywood, choice of speakers,
                              and the craftsmanship is top notch. Highly recommended. Good luck.

Peace,

Darrin

Comment

Whoa! Just saw this thread is a hundred years old.

Comment

Working...
                                X