'68 Blackface Bassman 50w?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: '68 Blackface Bassman 50w?

Wow, what a steal! That's one amp I really want.... hope it works out.

Comment

Originally posted by GLJazz View Post
      Well, Sounds like its a go. He's even driving down to meet me this week. It does not have original tubes, one or two resistors were replaced and a shorted wire were the work done. I'll be popping it out to check the Iron and codes. He seems convinced that it's march 68, but i agree and he even read to me the date code, confirming "QC" - If i want to wait he'll be getting new tubes, but i don't want to risk it going out the door over a $40 set of tubes, yeah?

Another note - It is missing the back cover that covers the tubes - not a dealbreaker is it?
      You can make your own back cover if you wish, but it's not necessary. I'd also grab it without waiting for new tubes. Heck, ask him if he'll take off $25 since you'll have to retube (basically halfing the cost with him). You never know.

I'd expect an amp that age to have a few replaced caps and resistors.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Awesome! Well, He's on the way an hour and closing. Any red flags i should look for? I'll be checking s/n and looking at transformer codes armed with a google chart... Not sure if i should ask to pull the chassis?

Comment

That is awesome. It would be a steal let us know
          Ibanez S520-> NS2->TS9 (Monte Allums Modded)->JCA100H->Emi Texas Heat 4x12

Comment

Well, the amp had the feedback then wobble syndrome. The guy was really nice about it, and we tried a whole new set of tubes to the tune of the same result. The best guess was a tranny, in which case i've been told it can kill the vintage tone.

In any event, he said he'd get back to me if the problem is cleared up - Fingers crossed!

Comment

Has the amp had a cap job within the last 20 years? If not, the old caps could be the cause. My AA864 circuit conversion did that when I left one of the original cap values in the pan that didn't need to be there from the silverface design. Component drift is also another reason that this sort of thing happens.

Find an amp tech and describe the problem to him. Ask him if he thinks it will require a transformer change. I'll bet he will say no. If he says no, ask him how much it is likely to cost to have that problem fixed. Deduct that amount from the amount that the guy is asking and strike that deal with him. The cool thing about doing this is that you can have that same amp tech do a subtle mod or two while he is in there for a few bucks that will boost the mids on one channel etc (essentially adding a larger resistor between the bass knob and ground on whichever channel has the most gain by itself). If this is an AB165 circuit amp (and it likely is), that will give you a little broader tonal palette.

These are great amps and you may still yet have a phenomenal amp if you give it a try. Best of luck to ya sir.

Comment

Working...
              X